What's new

My humidor conversion

ian

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Ian Pemberton I live in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.I own a custom cabinet shop in Barrie. I heard about this site from a neighbor who is also a member here. I am glad he did! what a great site! I am looking forward to becoming a regular user and contributor to the site.

I thought a few of you may be interested in seeing my humidor conversion. As many of you are already aware, sometimes you just need more storage even though when you purchased you last humidor you thought 'that's it...surely i have enough room now" well, that is exactly what happened to me. I previously had 2 desk top humidors (50 count) and last summer I had taken a trip and brought back some cigars only to discover that I didn,t have emough storage for them so I purchased a larger (300 count) humidor and thought surely I have enough now!. Well, I didn't. Last week my sister in law went to Cuba and is bringing me 4 boxes of cigars and again I found myself wondering where i was going to store them.

I did not want to buy any more humidors and due to the time frame constructing a large cabinet in 3 or 4 days wasn't going to work for me either. I had this piece of furniture that we had built for a client of mine. It was built to house a printer and to hide it when not in use. The pice had 2 doors on the front with a slide out tray for the printer. As it turned out the client did not need this piece so i told him no problem (he is a very good client that I have done a lot of work for) and I took it home. it sat in my dining room for a couple of years and my wife had used it for table cloth storage.

One night when she went to be early I put it in my truck and took it to work..lol. The next day I removed the lid and rollout. I cut an opening for a glass insert in the top and hinged it to lift. I used 3/4 inch spanish cedar tounge and grooved glued the panels together with a polyurethane glue for the liner. I used an interlocking joint at all corners.
The underside of the lid was trimmed out so the entire inside would be cedar. I installed a foam gasket arond the top edge for a better seal. The middle tray at the top is removeable and there are for sliding shelves on each side that can be slid to the centre for cigar access. I figure i should be able to put 500- 600 cigars comforatbly in it. the extrior is cherry and it measures 32w x 17d x 19h.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Welcome to BOTL Ian!

That's a very unique humidor you have built. What is the humidity source?
Seems like you have a good amount of space ... for now. :halfgrinw

ian

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the comments...i am awaiting my beads..right now i have a block of florist foam soaked in distilled water. I removed it from the humidor for the pictures.
Ian

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Looks great Ian! Welcome.

Quick question, what is the hardware (hinges, etc.) made of? Typical metal for Humi hardware tends to be brass and yours looks more silver so I'm curious.

Thanks and very nice!

ian

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jason, the hing is a nickel hinge but it is placed on the exterior of the humidor. the liner is an enclosed box without any hardware.
Ian

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Welcome to BOTL. Very nice work. Have you consdiered an active humidification system?

ian

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about an active sysem. do you have any sugestions on make and model?
ian

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I was actually thinking about an active sysem. do you have any sugestions on make and model?
ian
Check out our sponsor sites. They have some pretty nice systems that people swear by.