What's new

My tastebuds

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been smoking cigars for about 5 months. I see people saying they taste cocoa, coffee, honey, etc. The only flavors I have really ever noticed was coffee, until today. First I had smoked a Benchmade churchill, it had a definite cinnamon flavor, but then later I also got the same flavor from a LFD double ligero.

Do these cigars normally have this flavor? Do others taste this also? Is this a normal progression of my palete changing?

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I have been smoking for years and I still do not pick up these flavors that everyone else does. I smoke cause it makes me look cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometime you just smoke to enjoy the smoke!

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
From my experience, as you progress you taste more. At first I only tasted walnuts, then I went through a phase where I tasted roasted coffee in a number of sticks, now I'm tasting leather. Every once in a while I pick up something else, but I really think it has a lot to do with your tastebuds getting "trained" to recognize flavors.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
From my experience, as you progress you taste more. At first I only tasted walnuts, then I went through a phase where I tasted roasted coffee in a number of sticks, now I'm tasting leather. Every once in a while I pick up something else, but I really think it has a lot to do with your tastebuds getting "trained" to recognize flavors.
There is truth to this... I think there is a mix of training, experience, and natural ability (referring to taste buds/nasal receptors).

For example, how can you know if a cigar has cinnamon if you haven't had it before? You can replace cinnamon with anything. How can the smoke have notes of daisies if you don't know what daisies smell like?

I think to be able to tease flavors out - and this includes cigars, whisky, beer, wine, etc. - you have to try those individual flavors. Have you ever tried vanilla extract? Put a little bit on your tongue. Next time you have a rosado, maybe you'll pick out some of that vanilla.

I have a family member that has worked at a spice company for years - years ago, he would bring home fine ground seasonings (my favorite was fine grain habanero). I would put just a finger tip on my tongue. So, try things that are in the spice rack, try different types of nuts, try smelling a range of flowers, next time you're camping and sitting at the camp fire, chew on a piece of wood (i.e. like a small branch of a tree)... if you have the natural ability (which not everyone does in all fairness), before you know it, you'll be able to identify these different notes.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
For me mostly it's a game of "giving names to the flavors". Cigars always taste like tobacco to me, but "tobacco" has a whole lot of different flavors. I think a lot of the names we give to flavors are more analogies than anything else. It took a lot of reading reviews and smoking cigars myself to figure out what people meant by "leather" or "wood" flavors.

Now, that said, sometimes you just get a dead-on flavor from a cigar. I thought the last third of the original El T lancero had a flavor in the mix that tasted JUST like cinnamon.

-Charles

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I find that if you drink the same drink with every cigar, as much as possible, and try to have your cigars that you are concentrating on in the same place with no distractions helps a lot ! I pretty much always have the same drink with my cigars for the last 3 years so that I know what flavors I am picking up that are different. As I do not have anywhere to go to smoke socially around here, it makes it easy to be in the same place all the time...my back deck in the summer and the vehicle in the winter.
Keep track of the entire experience, and minimize the differentiations between sticks to try to train yourself. Once you get in a rythm you will find that you will start picking out something different in cigars.

You don't learn to run first....baby steps my friend, baby steps. We all start somewhere, and for some of us, we never do get to be "super tasters" so don't worry, just enjoy for now.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
It's definitely something that can take time to come to someone.

I think the only reason I started picking up on flavours so quickly is because, having spent quite a long time analyzing and picking apart flavours in beer and wine (I used to work in a brewery) I had already "trained" my tastebuds to pick up more obscure or subtle flavours in things.

That being said, I have spoken to people who have been smoking cigars for 20+ years and still say that cigars taste to them "predominantly of tobacco".

I don't think it really matters what you are tasting, but that you are enjoying it.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I find that if you drink the same drink with every cigar, as much as possible, and try to have your cigars that you are concentrating on in the same place with no distractions helps a lot ! I pretty much always have the same drink with my cigars for the last 3 years so that I know what flavors I am picking up that are different. As I do not have anywhere to go to smoke socially around here, it makes it easy to be in the same place all the time...my back deck in the summer and the vehicle in the winter.
Keep track of the entire experience, and minimize the differentiations between sticks to try to train yourself. Once you get in a rythm you will find that you will start picking out something different in cigars.

You don't learn to run first....baby steps my friend, baby steps. We all start somewhere, and for some of us, we never do get to be "super tasters" so don't worry, just enjoy for now.
THIS is exactly what I do and agree with. I've spent way to much money trying to find all these cigars with the suppossed super flavors only to come out broke and let down. Just smoke what you like and follow your own nose!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Cracks me up. Essence of blueberry with a hint of saffron. Tastes like a good cigar. Yep. Works for me.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Your palate will develop with time, simple as that. I've always had a heightened sense of taste and smell, but even of the last 8 or so months I've noticed a BIG change in how readily I was able to pick out notes from a cigar.

The best suggestion I can offer is to give smoking alone a shot, really try to identify the flavors and enjoy the cigar to the fullest, this advice came from another BOTL and it works wonders for improving your palate.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
THIS is exactly what I do and agree with. I've spent way to much money trying to find all these cigars with the suppossed super flavors only to come out broke and let down. Just smoke what you like and follow your own nose!
.........x2:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Funny, I was just going to post a comment about this. Glad I'm not the only one, lol.

I haven't picked up on a lot of flavors either. I haven't had a scotch while smoking in awhile though and early on that's all I had and it seemed to bring out more flavor. (or maybe the cigar brought out the flavor of the scotch)

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It is deffinitely that the drink brings out the flavors in the cigar and not the other way around for me. I have found that with drinking the same drink that doesn't over power the stick makes a world of difference. I have switched up lately once in a while just to see if I can get different flavors and sensations, but I love to go back to the same drink time after time. My opinion is that you deffinitely cannot drink something too strong that overpowers the smokes, you want to have the cigar taste predominantly. I am not saying water, but something that cleanses your palete is prefered...oh yeah, try eating a few almonds once in a while while smoking, it really wipes the oils away inside your mouth and helps.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone gets the same notes all our palates are different over time you will start picking up more flavors as your palate develops. Heck after over 20 years I'm still learning. Good luck

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
This is great discussion. I have done a good deal of study on the subject, even holding personal blind tasting's and experiments. I found a few things out.

1. You need to have the mental links in order to be able to go back to them for description. You need to not only try a flavor once, but to have it embedded in your mind to be able to recollect when needed. I am sure most everyone has had an orange at some point. But how many times have you ever eaten an orange to remember it's taste? I mean to really dwell on the flavor and lock it away for recollection at some point?

2. A drink with a cigar is VERY important. If you want to get the true flavor of what the cigar has to offer, then sparkling water or just water is the only thing that will allow you to do this. Anything else can and will muddy the waters.

3. Here is a great resource for tasting in general: http://www.tastescience.com/abouttaste2.html A very interesting find and discussion is on the bottom right of the screen. Here is what it says:
Finally, Small and her colleagues present strong evidence that the final common pathways of taste and smell go to the non-verbal right brain, which has implications for our ability to report thinking processes related to taste and smell; one of the reasons Titchener - and Wundt before him - only reported four tastes was probably that they had difficulty getting people to talk about taste and smell.
So for some people they really can't describe the taste, not due to tastebuds or mental links to flavors, but simply because their brains don't work that way.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
depends on the smokes
you stick to blandish brands -then at best its just cedar, oak, coffee, cream

then you go lfd and the likes- cherry, spice and many other sweet/tarter notes

cc;s-dirt, pencil lead, cola, beans, and better

:smile:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Good point as well.

I usually try and drink club soda, coffee, water, unsweetened ice tea, or just plain water when I smoke if I'm going to sit down and try and review a cigar.

Otherwise, I want to enjoy the cigar and enjoy a libation as well.

As long as you're enjoying the cigar, don't worry about picking out exact flavors in it. You may eventually get to that point, or you may not. In the end it's all about enjoying the cigar.