What's new

Narrow Ring Gauge Practicalities

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I always assume I'm going to pay more for the well-made lancero than for the toro. And I have zero problem with that. Just as the guy who thinks he's got to have a 60RG to be a big man has no problem overpaying for his choice. It depends which side of the market you want to cater to.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How can one really be an aficionado and be so completely in the dark at the same time. To be an aficionado you have to know things, right? If cigar smoking is to be a thinking man's hobby, it has to involve more than just dumbly sticking a wad of tobacco in ones pie hole and firing it up., no questions asked.
Very well said. I have been studying cigars endlessly for about a year now and many times I have asked myself why does this taste like it does? What exactly makes this cigar something I like? Honestly I chalked it up to being a rookie but your post makes me think maybe that is not entirely true.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Je je je, Mossome y muchas gracias, thrasher66 and to your point a bona fide sommelier can tell you purely by taste, sight and nose, the varietals used, the year of the harvest and practically the zip code of where the grapes were grown. I doubt that there are any end users of cigars, who, without having been industry insiders, could even begin to approach that level of discernment even if they have really good palates. The information just isn't available to know what is in the blends that we are tasting, although some manufacturers are working to change that.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
To your point, I keep a cigar journal and find it incredibly difficult to get information on the blends. Most everyone gives decent information on the wrapper, but sometimes different sites will contradict on even that much. 90% just give countries of origin on binder and filller, vey few give the specific areas. Caldwell does really well, they give complete info on every leaf including the percentages of the blend. I wish more companies would follow their lead.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
To your point, I keep a cigar journal and find it incredibly difficult to get information on the blends. Most everyone gives decent information on the wrapper, but sometimes different sites will contradict on even that much. 90% just give countries of origin on binder and filller, vey few give the specific areas. Caldwell does really well, they give complete info on every leaf including the percentages of the blend. I wish more companies would follow their lead.
Hear hear! I love the info on the Caldwell boxes.