What's new

NC's worth aging?

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Padron's lower tier maduros - 1000's and Londres also get much more refined.
I have a handful x000 series that are about 4-5 years old and I agree, they are smoking much better than my the ones I've recently purchased.

Surprisingly, the 1964s don't appear to change much with age. I've got some that are 3-4 years old and I compared it to one a recently purchased and there wasn't much difference.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I apologize for resurecting this thread, but its nicer than me starting a new thread instead of the search function :)

I am thinking of aging some cigars long term, and thinking of sticking with the ligas. T52, or for fun two boxes of french fries, or possibly the undercrowns.

I note that these would benifit from aging, but for how long? At what point does leaving it become moot?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Tat Brown Labels, Any Fuente seems to do wonders with age, La Riquezas turn into something wonderful, Viaje Oro Reservas come into their own with some humi time...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Tat Brown Labels, Any Fuente seems to do wonders with age, La Riquezas turn into something wonderful, Viaje Oro Reservas come into their own with some humi time...
i am SO with 3/4 of this! anejo are aMAzing with age, and opus really only gives your money with down time. also, the MF line really shines with sleep.

FWIW, ssaaka or JD (or both) said that the ligas really loose potency with a year or three, so might not be the way to go. unless you like them chill and not LOUD. o)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I apologize for resurecting this thread, but its nicer than me starting a new thread instead of the search function :)

I am thinking of aging some cigars long term, and thinking of sticking with the ligas. T52, or for fun two boxes of french fries, or possibly the undercrowns.

I note that these would benifit from aging, but for how long? At what point does leaving it become moot?
I don't think we've answered your question yet.

I might not be correct but, I think the idea of aging is trial and error. Some cigars will see a change in a year, some take 3 years.

I think the best thing to do is get a rather large quantity of whatever it is you want to age and just put them away. Come back in 6 months and test, then 1 year....so on and so forth.

Since starting this thread I put down 5 LaRiqueza #5s and don't plan on touching them for at least 1 year.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I totally agree with the pairing out of same cigars over a period of time; I buy boxes of 20-25 and smoke 5 a year out of the same box; keeps inventory moving and gives me an idea of the short-term (months) and longer-term (2-4 years) aging on sticks of the same batch. If I like to smoke the cigar more often I buy another box to put down, or buy singles to supplement.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a box of El Titan de Bronze Redemption maduros that have a year on them, haven't had one for a few months but they are great ROTT and are turning into something amazing as the time goes.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
i am SO with 3/4 of this! anejo are aMAzing with age, and opus really only gives your money with down time. also, the MF line really shines with sleep.

FWIW, ssaaka or JD (or both) said that the ligas really loose potency with a year or three, so might not be the way to go. unless you like them chill and not LOUD. o)

I'm partial to old LP myself.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0

I think its worth reminding that according the DE, the Liga lines are aged for a full year before getting on the truck and to your door.

Just wanted to tag that along with Java's post.

-Chrisso

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0

I think its worth reminding that according the DE, the Liga lines are aged for a full year before getting on the truck and to your door.

Just wanted to tag that along with Java's post.

-Chrisso

Actually I read a post recently by Steve Saka saying that they no longer age them for a full year as a standard rule. He said they now smoke a sample every month or so and ship them when they "feel" they are ready. Steve said it averages at about 7 months for how long they age now, some are shorter some are longer. But also Drew Estates philosophy is that they like them young and if you want to age them you always have the option to age them, but if you like them younger you can't get those years back, so they would rather let the smoker decide.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

I don't think we've answered your question yet.

I might not be correct but, I think the idea of aging is trial and error. Some cigars will see a change in a year, some take 3 years.

I think the best thing to do is get a rather large quantity of whatever it is you want to age and just put them away. Come back in 6 months and test, then 1 year....so on and so forth.

Since starting this thread I put down 5 LaRiqueza #5s and don't plan on touching them for at least 1 year.
Michael, Thanks for the response.

I've decided to go with a box of the undercrowns, I bought a rather large clear tupperware that will fit the box perfectly, that has a rubber seal and those lockable wing type lids. Already washed it out and let it air out for a week before anything goes in it, same with a QI digi humi/temp guage attatched to the side so I dont even have to open it. My basement stays at a rather calm 67 degrees year round, and doesnt get overly humid- so it will sit on my workbench down there. Add a boveda 65% and I think ill put a label on the lid with the date stored, and leave a few spaces for memos re: future tastings.

This should pay off in the end I think!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Standard Padron's 1000 series age gracefully, but the 64 and 26 lines (including Family Reserve) are better without age for me.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
YMMV but
NCs I age...when I can restrain myself:
Most LPs, #9s, T52s, Ratzillas - better after a year or so
EVERY Fuente is better with another year on it. They don't really get good until they sleep 5 years.
Extremely strong (when new) Tats
Illusione Singulares

NCs I don't age:
Padrons - smoke that shit NOW - the Family Reserves are already 10 years old
Tat Monsters - many brothers will disagree, but I've smoked the entire line of monsters in the past 6mo and age really doesn't help IMHO. Wolfman sux even if you lay it down for 1000 years.
LP Dirty Rats - better when young fo' sho. Anyway, who can really wait?
EPC Limitadas (edit: everything they make)
LP Pigs - they are good to go - wait and you will miss out!

FWIW, there's a Saka interview on Halfwheel RE aging Ligas in particular. I believe he said 5 years was the absolute limit but I may be off on that. Please check it yourself. That means if you have Liga OR #9s you better smoke up. I have a cab of them and they did go through a sick period before getting awesome again.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This is an interesting thread. I'm about to have my first child born - a son - and I've heard of the idea of buying a box of cigars on the day he is born and smoking one every year on his birthday until he is 18 and smoking the last 2 with him. I think its a great idea but don't know of any reasonably priced cigar that would still be enjoyable with 18 years of age on it.

FWIW, there's a Saka interview on Halfwheel RE aging Ligas in particular. I believe he said 5 years was the absolute limit but I may be off on that. Please check it yourself. That means if you have Liga OR #9s you better smoke up. I have a cab of them and they did go through a sick period before getting awesome again.
Similarly, didn't JD say that the Ratzillas were released when they were because they were at their peak and he didn't want them to sit in the warehouse and mute the flavor?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Might as well just go big and get the fuente fuentes. If its one cigar that I understand that only gets better, are the X's. Granted, open your wallet because its gonna hurt.