What's new

Neck fusion

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm having Neck fusion at C5-C6 on Dec. 21st. After trying every other option my pain dr and surgeon both agreed there is no other option or else have permanent nerve damage and loss of strength on my right upper side. I'm a little nervous about it and was wondering if anyone has had this or similar spinal fusion surgery. My main worry is being able to get back to an active lifestyle. I spend a lot of time outside and in the gym and would hate to lose that ability. I also have to stop smoking cigars for a while so the spine will fuse with the cadaver bone that will be used :(.

Wish me luck!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Good luck brother! Try not to worry too much prior to the surgery if you can. Once that's over make sure you do the rehab work and follow doctors orders. In time you will get strong again and be able to do things. Keep your mind positive and you ass will likely follow!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Haven't had that done, but good luck brother!!! Just take it easy for a while and do w
Good luck brother! Try not to worry too much prior to the surgery if you can. Once that's over make sure you do the rehab work and follow doctors orders. In time you will get strong again and be able to do things. Keep your mind positive and you ass will likely follow!
THIS^^^^

I'll add to it and take your time after the surgery for the recovery and body healing. No need to rush it. You'll be back to yourself in due time. Good luck!!

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Best of luck!

Never had a procedure but mine is fused none the less. I live an active lifestyle so I wouldn't see any reason for you not to be able to after the procedure. (y)

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Good luck with your surgery. I pray all goes well and you are able to have a pain free active lifestyle. Your doctors should be able to give you an idea as to what they expect post surgery.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
My father had a very similar surgery when I was in high school. They went through the side of his neck and used a piece of bone from his hip. He was wearing a neck brace for about 2 months I remember and the only complaint he had was a little discomfort swallowing for a couple weeks (no kidding).
He's a tough SOB but he was golfing a little over a year later and was almost in tears on the first tee box. It was an absolute life changer for him.

Hope you have a great outcome and enjoy a little R and R.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Lets hope for no pain. If thats fixed i am sure you will be happy with the results both my mom and step dad had the surgery i wouldnt say they were 100% satisfied but they arent in pain

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I had a co worked a few years back that had a similiar procedure done. I don't know which vertebra exaclty but i know it was higher up on his spine. He had some loss of mobility being able to turn his head. Sadly this didn't fix his issues completely. In his words it restored his pain to manageable levels. Some years later he had a device put in that sensed when he would get a shooting nerve pain and it would send a electrical current that in his words "tickled" and essentially cancelled the pain signal. He said it was more a sensation of a chill running up his spine. Lol probably the worse explanation ever. Good luck brother.

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I had a similar problem at C5-C6 in the early 90s. Chgo doctors all wanted to do fusion. I went to the Mayo clinic and the neurosurgeons there did something called laminectomy. No disc removed, no fusion of vertebrae. They just removed the build-up of calcium deposits in the area where the nerve was being pinched and shaved off part the bulging disc. Recovery time was just a couple of months. I think I was back golfing in under 6 mos. Have had no problems since. @Lomey PM if you want to talk about this.

Good luck with your recovery.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My dad had this procedure about 15 years ago. He said it was the best decision he made. He had the cadaver bone fused - sounds like the same thing you are having done. He continued to live an active lifestyle pretty much pain free. Best of luck brother and most importantly (from my dad's experience and other surgeries/injuries I've had), do the PT they prescribe you! Don't slack on physical therapy or aftercare. That can be the most important part. Keep your head up (figuratively that is lol) and stay positive!

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
I finally had a C3-C6 fusion done in April 2015 due to chronic pain. the rehab was slow and ended in a forced retirement (law enforcement). that being said, I would do it again. I don't have near the pain. my only complaint is fatigue later in the evening (nothing a early nap won't cure). Yes, you need to stop smoking, recommended six months. Yes, take the rehab slow. pm me if you have any specific questions. I play a lot of golf now. probably will give up the rollerblades.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
My mom had a very similar procedure, except they fused and installed a titanium cage around her vertebrae. It went excellently. Previously, she couldn't go from sitting to standing without extreme discomfort. She's much more comfortable now and able to be as active as she wants for her age. Best of luck in getting the same results! Don't push it right away. Give your body some time to heal.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Yup had it. Worse part was the "dog collar" you have to wear. Had mine done 2 years or so ago. Went in through my throat. I now have cadaver bone and 6 titanium screws and a scar that looks like I got shived. What's crazy is I was playing golf inside of 3 months and doctors said I wouldn't be able to play like I used to. Actually play better now.

Don't g t freaked. Make sure you do what they tell you in recovery. Good luck.

PS: mine were C3/4/5 and removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I had C6-C7 in 1989. Removed what was left of the disc.

At this point, I have some arthritis in the neck, and my range of motion is decreased. That being said, I am in the gym lifting 5-6 days a week, play competitive men's league hockey 3-4 nights a week, and have a active, athletic lifestyle.

Feel free to PM me if I can answer anything for you. I hope for an improved quality of life for you after the surgery, I know mine was much better.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
good luck man, i have the same issue, c5-c6. I had no feeling in my right hand for months. dreading x-rays and surgery, been doing exercises and I read Dr. Sarno's book. Stopped going to the chiro, and things have improved significantly. anyways, wish you the best of luck. i heard it's a night and day difference the moment you walk out. (my co-worker and my boss' wife both had c5-c6 fusions the past year, through the front of their neck)