What's new

Need help with a life decision

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
All sound advice, especially the "Enjoy the Taco Bell while you can" comment. Dentistry is a great career choice, much like a trade for kids that choose not to attend college. Make yourself as marketable as possible. The world will always need dentists, nurses, doctors, electricians, plumbers, welders, etc.
As someone a above pointed out about choosing the correct major, getting a major in Western Philosophy and a minor in liberal arts for example, is a very poor choice, but sadly it's exactly the type of crap some kids choose.....
Not many philosophy firms hiring these days, ya know?

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
We need more youth in the trade skills schooling. There's a heavy generational shortage due to the huge push for people to go to college and accumulate debt and fight for the same jobs.
Go with Rattlesnake fries instead of any burrito.
I preached this to my boy till I was blue in the face. He's 21. Had a knack for welding in FFA, and I offered to pay his way through a local welding school. No dice. Got married last year, and is working for the municipal water dept.
Got the whole " You didnt go to college, and you're making good money" bit.......
Kids are always smarter than their parents. ALWAYS. I know I was.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
False - the meth addicts who live just North of me in SW Missouri will never need a dentist.
@EO80 was telling me about that county as we went down to Bentonville to pick up Zippo at the airport for last years herf. Shame. Beautiful country through there. We have the same problem 40 mile SE of us. That crap is everywhere I guess

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
@EO80 was telling me about that county as we went down to Bentonville to pick up Zippo at the airport for last years herf. Shame. Beautiful country through there. We have the same problem 40 mile SE of us. That crap is everywhere I guess
I hated to miss that Herf and it's really bad in that area! But yes, beautiful part of the country. My favorite part of traveling is coming home to NWA.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Well since I just completed 9 years of schooling I'll weigh in on this topic...

DO NOT pick a degree with no job at the end. Seriously, the number of people that are getting archaeology/history degrees is absurd. YOU WILL NOT FIND A JOB.
Now, the medical field is a great place to be. Competitive, yes, but the pay at the end of it is very lucrative and I don't see this country changing anytime to lower those salaries.

Now more directly to your situation... DO NOT GO TO A SCHOOL THAT IS NON-ACCREDITED. Seriously. People will not hire you if you went to a crap school that has no degrees to handout. Dental schools will just laugh in your face. Pick a good school, with a track record of placing people in the program you want.

Oh and Spicy Dorito Crunch Wrap and Miller Highlife, that's how we did it at Wisconsin :D

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Well since I just completed 9 years of schooling I'll weigh in on this topic...

DO NOT pick a degree with no job at the end. Seriously, the number of people that are getting archaeology/history degrees is absurd. YOU WILL NOT FIND A JOB.
Now, the medical field is a great place to be. Competitive, yes, but the pay at the end of it is very lucrative and I don't see this country changing anytime to lower those salaries.

Now more directly to your situation... DO NOT GO TO A SCHOOL THAT IS NON-ACCREDITED. Seriously. People will not hire you if you went to a crap school that has no degrees to handout. Dental schools will just laugh in your face. Pick a good school, with a track record of placing people in the program you want.

Oh and Spicy Dorito Crunch Wrap and Miller Highlife, that's how we did it at Wisconsin :D
Hoppy, since you probably have the best answer to this question, tell me if I'm wrong here - I'm thinking as long as he's a freshman he's just taking basic requirement classes anyway this year and next, right? And that therefore it doesn't matter where he spends his 2nd year as long as the credits will transfer? If so, I see no reason he can't stay where he is for another year and give himself a little more time and experience before making the decision of where to transfer to, (assuming that he's focused on a good degree, and not golf), especially if he's getting a better price where he's currently at. Thoughts?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
And that therefore it doesn't matter where he spends his 2nd year as long as the credits will transfer?
Very bold assumption. Schools are actually very good at rejecting your completed credits. There's no way I would stay at an unaccredited location.

To the OP, you've already received a lot of good advice (other than nobody mentioning the crunchwrap supreme with Diablo sauce). As somebody that is just wrapping up their JD and embarking on a new career path, the best advice I can give to you is to invest in places that will invest in you. That would almost certainly exclude your current location based on the information given here.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hoppy, since you probably have the best answer to this question, tell me if I'm wrong here - I'm thinking as long as he's a freshman he's just taking basic requirement classes anyway this year and next, right? And that therefore it doesn't matter where he spends his 2nd year as long as the credits will transfer? If so, I see no reason he can't stay where he is for another year and give himself a little more time and experience before making the decision of where to transfer to, (assuming that he's focused on a good degree, and not golf), especially if he's getting a better price where he's currently at. Thoughts?
Very bold assumption. Schools are actually very good at rejecting your completed credits. There's no way I would stay at an unaccredited location.

To the OP, you've already received a lot of good advice (other than nobody mentioning the crunchwrap supreme with Diablo sauce). As somebody that is just wrapping up their JD and embarking on a new career path, the best advice I can give to you is to invest in places that will invest in you. That would almost certainly exclude your current location based on the information given here.
^^^^^^^ This everyday ^^^^^^^^

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
@icehog3's "friend" is legendary because he can operate a tickler, taint, and do general wand cleanup.
False - the meth addicts who live just North of me in SW Missouri will never need a dentist.
Spoken for truth^^^^^
Meth head are our zombie apocalypse. But they keep killing each other. It's kind of a two-fer, one goes to the cemetery and the other goes to prison.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I hated to miss that Herf and it's really bad in that area! But yes, beautiful part of the country. My favorite part of traveling is coming home to NWA.
Yeah, you boys in Arkansas sure keep an uncanny number of sheep. You all take your animal husbandry serious.
And the motto for getting married to a virgin is to divorce her. If she ain't good nuf for her family, she ain't good nuf for yours.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Has anybody grabbed me some ****ing Taco Bell yet? This is getting ridiculous. Taint tickling, sheep loving virgin zombies? Yet I can't get a *** damned chili cheese burrito???
it's on the left.... I will admit that there 2 NHIE in this picture - that CCB & the Crunchwrap Supreme (Sorry @Hopduro they didn't have the Dorito style) and BOTH were...umm... not good :sorry:
@bwhite220 - how do you eat those things? :wideyed::vomit::LOL:
20190402_183548.jpg
the Fries are a SOLID choice though (y)