What's new

Need help with a life decision

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Lots of good advise here. I'd like to reinforce the point that going to college is no longer good enough. You need to ensure you're in a degree field that has job opportunity at the end of the line and you need to work hard to stand out from the class. You made the statement, "I don't know that I'd get in to dental school". Change that mindset. What makes you think you will not get into dental school? Change it.

You're a freshman, now is your time to get back on track if you're off to a mediocre start. Don't wait until your junior or senior year to make the adjustments. Early on it doesn't take much effort to move from say a 2.8 GPA to a 3.2 GPA or a 3.3 to a 3.6 and that little bump will unlock potential at career fairs down the road. I do a little recruiting at the local University career fairs for our interns and sometimes direct college hires and we don't even entertain resumes below a 3.0 GPA. GPA isn't everything but a higher GPA across similar degree programs tends to correlate with the amount of effort put in to the program. College is just a small snapshot of your life. You'll blow through it and before you know it you're looking years in the past to remember the experience. You absolutely need to enjoy your college experience with social activities and golf (since that's your thing) but make sure you're prioritizing studies as well since that's going to have a direct impact on the next chapter in your life. If you get to the point you're seeking out internships, feel free to message me. I'd gladly critique your resume if needed.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
You're a freshman, now is your time to get back on track if you're off to a mediocre start. Don't wait until your junior or senior year to make the adjustments. Early on it doesn't take much effort to move from say a 2.8 GPA to a 3.2 GPA or a 3.3 to a 3.6 and that little bump will unlock potential at career fairs down the road.
Oh my God, so much this.

Yes, have your fun. But, play the long game. Racking up easy As benefits your long-term plan infinitely more than skipping your class because of a hangover.

I finished my Bachelor's around a 3.2. I started slow, finished mostly strong, but racked up lots of Bs where an A was well within my grasp. At the time, I didn't care because I was also having the time of my life.

A couple years later, I took the LSAT, murdered it, and began shopping for law schools. I suddenly cared about that GPA because my LSAT was good enough to get into nearly any school but that low GPA precluded me from the elite schools I wanted to go to.

Play the long game.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lots of good advise here. I'd like to reinforce the point that going to college is no longer good enough. You need to ensure you're in a degree field that has job opportunity at the end of the line and you need to work hard to stand out from the class. You made the statement, "I don't know that I'd get in to dental school". Change that mindset. What makes you think you will not get into dental school? Change it.

You're a freshman, now is your time to get back on track if you're off to a mediocre start. Don't wait until your junior or senior year to make the adjustments. Early on it doesn't take much effort to move from say a 2.8 GPA to a 3.2 GPA or a 3.3 to a 3.6 and that little bump will unlock potential at career fairs down the road. I do a little recruiting at the local University career fairs for our interns and sometimes direct college hires and we don't even entertain resumes below a 3.0 GPA. GPA isn't everything but a higher GPA across similar degree programs tends to correlate with the amount of effort put in to the program. College is just a small snapshot of your life. You'll blow through it and before you know it you're looking years in the past to remember the experience. You absolutely need to enjoy your college experience with social activities and golf (since that's your thing) but make sure you're prioritizing studies as well since that's going to have a direct impact on the next chapter in your life. If you get to the point you're seeking out internships, feel free to message me. I'd gladly critique your resume if needed.
Thank you! I might have to take you up on that!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What are your parents advising you do?
My mom wants me to stay here and change to exercise science and then get my doctorate in physical therapy. My dad has never been really involved in my life, he lets my mom do most of the parenting my parents are married and live together they don’t get along and don’t talk much but he says just get through college. They both went to another local public college mom had a full ride and graduated with honors. But it’s gotten a lot more rough and a lot of local people that I didn’t get around with go there. There’s one more small private college that’s even smaller then my current school and it’s D3 so I’d get no money for golf and 40k a year. My current school is 40k a year but I have many scholarships. My 2 closest friends are both from around the Columbus Ohio area and the one for sure us leaving and the other is about a 60% leaving which is giving me some problems too because I’m not gonna have any friends because the 15 guys or show I talk to all are not from the area and most plan on leaving.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I don't understand, the school will be unaccredited, that makes the degree next to worthless. You would have a tough time taking that "degree" to the next school.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The school has a very good rate of getting into graduate schools the reason they struggle is they are too many students with too many scholarships. They say WVU or Marshall will buy the school.