What's new

Need More Room.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Ok, here is the situation guys, I have two 100 count humi's. I have a box of cigars on the way from cbid, and a 5 pack from cf2112. That is all good, I have room for those but I am buying some cigars from kirscovitch this Fri. I also am buying 2 petit corona samplers in the near near future. Then I also have the box pass coming back to me in the next month or so. I don't have nearly enough storage space to accomidate all of the inbound smokes in the next two months. I need help on what I should do. I don't have the money for a large cabinet humi. I am concidering a coolidor, or possible a 300 count desktop. I really don't want to go the route of another desktop. However I was concidering this wine cooler. It holds 30 bottles of wine and is temp controlled, with about 2 pounds or so of beads I would work great as a large humi and box holder.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6831663&productCategoryId=pcmcat48300050015&type=product&cmp=++&id=1091102024230

Tell me what your thoughts are on this idea!!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
That's a compressor-driven wine cooler--you'd be better served with a thermoelectric model instead, so that you don't pull as much moisture out of the air when the cooling unit kicks on (I mean, who wants to DE-humidifiy their cigars?)

This is the unit I'd recommend: Avanti EWC28
http://www.universal-akb.com/28wiboavthwi.html

BTW, I'm *not* recommending that vendor by any means; I have NO experience with them. That's just the UNIT that I'd recommend; the vendor was just found via a random Google search.

:flying:

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Ok, here is the situation guys, I have two 100 count humi's. I have a box of cigars on the way from cbid, and a 5 pack from cf2112. That is all good, I have room for those but I am buying some cigars from kirscovitch this Fri. I also am buying 2 petit corona samplers in the near near future. Then I also have the box pass coming back to me in the next month or so. I don't have nearly enough storage space to accomidate all of the inbound smokes in the next two months. I need help on what I should do. I don't have the money for a large cabinet humi. I am concidering a coolidor, or possible a 300 count desktop. I really don't want to go the route of another desktop. However I was concidering this wine cooler. It holds 30 bottles of wine and is temp controlled, with about 2 pounds or so of beads I would work great as a large humi and box holder.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6831663&productCategoryId=pcmcat48300050015&type=product&cmp=++&id=1091102024230

Tell me what your thoughts are on this idea!!
You have clearly gotten way over your head here. So as a fellow Brother who does not to see another Brother in trouble you can just send me what ever your Humi will not hold and I will take very good care of them for you.

JM

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That's a compressor-driven wine cooler--you'd be better served with a thermoelectric model instead, so that you don't pull as much moisture out of the air when the cooling unit kicks on (I mean, who wants to DE-humidifiy their cigars?)

This is the unit I'd recommend: Avanti EWC28
http://www.universal-akb.com/28wiboavthwi.html

BTW, I'm *not* recommending that vendor by any means; I have NO experience with them. That's just the UNIT that I'd recommend; the vendor was just found via a random Google search.

:flying:
I'm with Electric Sheep on this--the Avanti is probably the right way to go if you want it cooled. I have two Magic Chef compressor-based wine fridges, each running with about 1.5 lbs of beads; I replaced the wire racks with sp. cedar shelves, so that helps keep the RH very stable.

Overall, they get the job done, but the cooling plate in the back pulls a lot of humidity out of the air during the summer when it runs quite a bit. You end up having to moisten your beads more often, have to watch for condensation build-up in the catch tray below the cooling plate, and--this is the worst part of it--be extra vigilant about mold developing in any paper-covered boxes you might have that are in the back near the cooling plate.

The trade-off, though, is that you more or less max out at about 30-btl sizes with the thermoelectric wine fridges (as far as I've been able to find them), while with the compressor-based units, you can go all the way up to a couple hundred bottles. At that point, though, you might as well invest in an Avallo...

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I am curious as to why you want to get a cooled unit. I am assuming in Wisconsin the temps don't get super high for most of the year, so I don't think you need to go this route. If you want to, by all means do so, but it really isn't necessary imho. I would suggest you go out, buy yourself a coleman cooler, a couple of oust fans, and get yourself some beads. I don't recommend guys get Avantis or anything similar unless they live in an environment where the temp and humidity is very high.

Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Kevin is right. If I had to do this over again, I would stick to a coolidor. Can buy a 52qt Coleman heavy duty for $21.00 in most Walmart stores now. Can get tons of kitty litter and place them in old or cheap nylon hose. One Oust fan is fine for small coolers, two for larger ones. An entire set up will cost under $50. Should be enough to hold many, many boxes. If that fills up, can always buy another cooler.

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=8917&highlight=coolidor

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
what kind of kitty litter, I keep hearing about it, I've looked, all I can find is fresh step crystals. I that the one to get?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I cant say enough on how easy the coolidor can be. I have way too many dsktops and wanted to hold in boxes. A 100qt coleman, two Oust Fans, a pound of 65% beads and some Kitty litter from HB. ALl done. I have had zero problems. Listen to these guys. Its really that simple.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I cant say enough on how easy the coolidor can be. I have way too many dsktops and wanted to hold in boxes. A 100qt coleman, two Oust Fans, a pound of 65% beads and some Kitty litter from HB. ALl done. I have had zero problems. Listen to these guys. Its really that simple.

:yes: It truly is simple, even Chuck can do-it!

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ok ive got a couple of comments to make.

1. as jmatkins offered, i too would be willing to house some of you smokes. for a small fee. rent if you would. only one premium stick per day.

2. as tuba and sheep pointed out, we do live up north, but it still hits 100 degrees and high humidity in the summer. i have to move my desktops from the living room to the bedroom where the a/c keeps the temps reasonable.

3. if you can keep your place at a reasonable temp in the summer, id go with the cooler and some beads. maybe an oust fan. if you can afford it, id go with the thermo electric wine cooler. i know you have enough boxes for storing them.

but personally id stick with #1....... :glassesgr

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I bet you would love option #1 Matt.

I'm going to go with the coolidor option, with the beads and the oust fans. My only question is why would you add in the kitty litter? Especially if you are using a pound of beads?