What's new

Netflix kinda sucks...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think netflix is good for tv shows. especially when you want to jump into a series midway, you can play catchup. The movies are not as good as they once were, licence agreements are through the roof, and it put a hurtin on them.

For $8 a month for streaming (can't remember) you really can't expect much. I remember in the 90's it was $4 to rent a DVD.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I use Netflix and Amazon Prime. I had Netflix when I used to travel for work because hotel TV sucks and I'm not renting movies from them. I'd just carry a cable with me and stream from my computer into the TV via wi-fi. My wife uses AP. I find it's mostly good for "let's see what's on here" rather than, "I want to watch...". A lot has to do with licensing though so studios could be charging the services too much for the A list movies.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Netflix is great if you get DVDs in the mail because they have an awesome selection to choose from (I'm getting the MST3K videos right now). Streaming sucks rocks due to lack of good content.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Netflix has lost some licenses in the last 2 years I think. The movie variety has gone down since I got it. We have amazon prime as well and its good to rent more recent titles on and there is a pretty good movie selection free for prime subscribers. BUT if you have prime you can get free shipping and deeper discounts on purchases as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I like their a couple of their original series' (enjoyed house of cards and orange is the new black), and for $90 a year even if I just watch the seasons of those it's worth it to me. Any other movies or random documentaries I stumble across are just a bonus.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
We have Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon Prime. All are best for TV, not movies.

For good movies you usually have to pay, we rent those through Amazon. But Hulu+ now has a lot of the Criterion Collection free. Netflix and Amazon have some good classics.

Original TV is a huge growth area for these services. House of Cards is excellent. We are watching Alpha House on Amazon right now, and it's pretty funny.

Overall, we use cable less and less. Just live sports at this point.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I didn't read the thread, but I understand. Same with hulu. If somebody could make available every movie, in the world, as well as every show (same day as premier) rather than 20 years later, you would be a rich man or woman.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds more like your Netflix smart tv app is just a badly made one. Search features exist for sure. July Plus used to suck. I still think it does. Netflix lost an archive from one of their sponsors, this took a lot off. Use redbox or their DVD ship mode. Otherwise use any demand app like Sony or Microsoft.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've had Netflix since 2003 when there was no streaming service and it was purely a DVD-by-mail service. In that respect, it was awesome. I did the 3-DVD-at-a-time and it was literally $10.76 or something like that a month after tax. Their DVD by mail selection is still impressive if you don't mind waiting a day to get it by mail and you constantly keep your queue updated.

That said, they pissed me off along with a lot of other people a few years back when they jacked up the monthly subscription rate. I abandoned it for awhile and have since returned to its streaming-only service. Honestly, I do miss the DVD-by-mail part, and since I spend an inordinate time sitting in the back of airplanes, I may resume it just so I can rip movies to my iPad to watch. Their exclusives like House of Cards and Alpha House are pretty darn good.

If you haven't done the mail option, try it out. You might change your mind.

Regards,
Randy

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We've got cable for the shows (and live sports) you can't see online when they're on and there are many, but we have had Netflix for a long time and use it frequently. For a while there were a lot fewer selections but it seems to have picked up again and there are some really good TV shows and movies on there.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Netflix, does indeed as your headline says, kinda suck. Kinda. It used to be a LOT better.

I just keep the streaming on the wii for the kids- can't remember the last time I actually used it.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Been using Netflix for a while and yeah it's not the greatest, but I've found no shortage of things to watch. Used to get the DVD in the mail option, but since the raised the prices I've gone to just the streaming. Tried Hulu and found it lacking, that was about a year ago and it seems like quite a few guys here like it so maybe it's gotten better. Redbox has a streaming option now and I'm not sure how good that is, but I've been generally happy with their selection at the kiosks. I like Netflix's selection of TV shows and documentaries in addition to the movies though.

Dan