What's new

New Cigar Tax

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
From Lew Rothman on Cigar Aficionado:

Everyone and I mean everyone that even smokes a cigar now and then has to be on alert for messages from all B&M smokeshops AND Internet vendors AND Manufacturers in the next few days regarding the proposed new tax on tobaacco products:

“The Senate Finance Committee has scheduled a markup on Tuesday, July 17 on legislation dealing with the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The measure is expected to be reported out of committee. Funding would be almost totally via higher taxes on tobacco products. The cigarette tax will increase by $.61 to $1 per pack effective after December 31, 2007. Other tobacco products would be taxed as follows:

large cigars -- 53.13% of mfr's or importer's sales price but not more than $10.00 per cigar.”

In addition, there will be a floor stocks tax on tobacco products manufactured in the U.S. or imported into the U.S, which are removed before January 1, 2008 and held on that date for sale. The person holding the product on January 1, 2008 is liable for the tax to be paid on or before April 1, 2008.

YES ! You read that right ! $10.00 PER CIGAR, plus whatever your local state tax is. The people in Washington have absolutely no clue about the cigar business. Their sole focus is on cigarettes and we are about to get dragged along with it.

Not only will this put virtually every manufacturer, wholesaler, and retaailer out of business. It will also devastate the economy of Nicaragua, Honduras, The Dominican Republic and have a significant impact on Puerto Rico, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Panama, Brasil, and Peru. (Whereupon, I’m sure the USA will be called upon to provide additional relief funding !).

You and everyone else who has any thoughts about continuing to smoke cigars or grow, sort, manufacture, distribute or retail cigars need to make a concerted phone, mail, and e-mail bombardment of Congress very shortly. Hopefully, someone more adept at interpreting this new tax law will supply the proper language for this protest.

Be ready and be vocal, and be outraged because this tax is definitely outrageous. It is my firm belief that if passed as it stands right now the entire industry will collapse prior to April 1,2008 (appropriately named April Fools Day for the Fools we have running the government right now) because no one will have the finances to pay the tax on their inventory.

Here's a link to the thread:
Click

Here's a link to the bill:
Click

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I don't think it's $10 a cigar, but 53% and not more than $10.

Still, that would take a $100 box of cigars to $153, then add state taxes.

Unbelievable.

Jammerjoe

Fantasy Sports Geek
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Sounds like an opportunity to get vocal with your local senator. tobacco products are an easy whipping post, and the bill is cleverly tied to the children's health initiative.

The cigar industry would definitely take a huge hit. If it looks like it will pass, I might have to take a second mortgage out and stock up hehe

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I don't think it's $10 a cigar, but 53% and not more than $10.

Still, that would take a $100 box of cigars to $153, then add state taxes.

Unbelievable.
They quote prices per thousand in the bill....I don't have enough information to do the calculations.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
They quote prices per thousand in the bill....I don't have enough information to do the calculations.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, I could totally be wrong. Whatever the numbers are, it's enough to totally freak out Lew Rothman and Drew Newman.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Yet another reason I don't vote for democrats!!!
That's absurd.

This ain't about Democrats and Republicans, just look at the Senators who are proposing this, and I quote Gordon Mott, "The original idea for raising $35 to $50 billion in new monies for a children's health insurance fund reportedly came from Senator Gordon Smith, Oregon Republican."

Here's a list of the committee members:

Click

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
That's absurd.

This ain't about Democrats and Republicans, just look at the Senators who are proposing this, and I quote Gordon Mott, "The original idea for raising $35 to $50 billion in new monies for a children's health insurance fund reportedly came from Senator Gordon Smith, Oregon Republican."

Here's a list of the committee members:

Click
Democrats, Republicans it doesnt matter. They all suck.

What I am happy about is when they throw this shit out "this is for the good of the public or this is what the public wants" they actually ask what the "public" wants. What a sec they dont do that. What the hell... oh wait they do, but i didnt realize the "public" consisted of only 80+ year old citizens.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You can't negate the fact that democrats are constantly wanting to raise taxes. More Welfare State = More Taxes pretty simple. Another thing to remember is that the Dems run the senate. I'm not sure where you heard the Gordon Smith part, but I would like to see that too. Plus I would be surprise if it were some dumb ass republican who wanted to win some political points with the opponents (kind of sounds like a John McCain thing).

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You can't negate the fact that democrats are constantly wanting to raise taxes. More Welfare State = More Taxes pretty simple. Another thing to remember is that the Dems run the senate. I'm not sure where you heard the Gordon Smith part, but I would like to see that too. Plus I would be surprise if it were some dumb ass republican who wanted to win some political points with the opponents (kind of sounds like a John McCain thing).
The tobacco tax was Gordon Smith's idea.
http://tobaccofreekids.org/Script/DisplayPressRelease.php3?Display=977

He's a fairly rank-and-file Republican. He's voted along party lines over 70% of the time.
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/s001142/

Everybody likes to tax booze or tobacco to help kids.