What's new

New Cigar Tax

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
It will be cheaper to purchase CC from over seas than purchasing something at a B&M.
The sad thing is is that it already is cheaper to do that!
Never bought a box from a B&M, and most likely never will. Now if this new tax doesn't affect retailers across state lines (like CI and Holt's) then we should all be fine.

TYLER

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The sad thing is is that it already is cheaper to do that!
Never bought a box from a B&M, and most likely never will. Now if this new tax doesn't affect retailers across state lines (like CI and Holt's) then we should all be fine.

TYLER
This is a federal tax, so it will most definitely apply to purchases across state lines.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
In addition, there will be a floor stocks tax on tobacco products manufactured in the U.S. or imported into the U.S, which are removed before January 1, 2008 and held on that date for sale. The person holding the product on January 1, 2008 is liable for the tax to be paid on or before April 1, 2008.
http://www.senate.gov/%7Efinance/sitepages/leg/LEG%202007/Leg%20110%20071307%20JCT.pdf
This is the part of the bill that will really hurt retailers.
You might see a lot clearance sales around Christmas this year to avoid having some inventory past the 1st.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I think that both Dems and Republicans alike view it fairly safe to vote "yes" on a sin tax.

This one would have some far reaching ramifications though that they might not be seeing on the surface. Industry in Conn and Fla would take a beating, aside from all of the B&M stores across the country...many of those would definitely be forced to close as they could not afford a 53% tax on their inventory.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many people believe that the proceeds will go towards improving our childrens' education vs. lining the pockets of politicians?

*EDIT*

After wiping the crap out of my eyes, I see that the bill is aimed at raising money to provide healthcare for uninsured children....not that those poor children will see the money either...

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Here's his Senate homepage:
http://gsmith.senate.gov/public/

But once he sees you're not from Oregon, he'll ignore you.
You'll have better luck with your own Senators.
I realize that, I'm planning on email a slew of Senators, not just my own hoping that they will not notice the fact I'm not from their state. I figure that the sheer number of emails they receive in a day will help them to not notice.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Are cigars an elastic or inelastic good? I can kinda see it both ways, like if they get too expensive we'll just switch over to pipes or something, but on the other hand the "demographic" (upper-class, fancy schmancy) of cigar smokers might not divert from their tried and true cigars. You think most people will say goodbye to cigars (excluding any black market stuff, i.e. overseas vendors) or just suck it up and pay the price?
I brought it up in my econ class today (we were actually discussing taxes, so it was nicely appropriate) and everybody there seems to think we're all rich assholes who have money coming out of their asses and a 50% per stick increase is no big deal. As much as I wish we were all loaded, 50%/stick more than what we're paying is a lot of money. I think the N/C market (especially the mid-priced stuff, like CAOs, Macanudos, JdNs, etc.) will take a huge hit, and sticks like Onyx Reserves, Sancho Panzas, and Indian Tabacs will be the new mid-grade stuff.
I can't decide which path we might take if/when this hits. Of course, manufacturers will take at a good part of the tax hit, too. Maybe larger companies like CI and JR's will just suck up the majority of this tax and prices won't go up too much. Who knows?

TYLER

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I brought it up in my econ class today (we were actually discussing taxes, so it was nicely appropriate) and everybody there seems to think we're all rich assholes who have money coming out of their asses and a 50% per stick increase is no big deal.

TYLER
That is some very scary shit. Rich assholes. Anyone here a rich asshole? Assholes maybe. Rich, hmmmmmm.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
That is some very scary shit. Rich assholes. Anyone here a rich asshole? Assholes maybe. Rich, hmmmmmm.
By rich assholes I was just talking about the stereotypical cigar smoker that the common public sees. You know, the 'I'm-better-than-you-because-I-smoke-cigars" kind of thing. Cigars have always been associated (whether we like it or not) with money and class, at least to a certain extent. What I was trying to get across was the fact that the uneducated public doesn't know that normal people actually smoke cigars, and lots of them, and therefore they are not playing as much robin hood (or any at all, really) as they would like to be.
But yeah, that is some scary shit.

TYLER

cjazz

Hecho en USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More spending by the democrats means raise taxes. It's the only thing they know how to do. They don't have the common sense to cut spending from the many other pointless endeavors of government to cover another proposed pointless endeavor.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
By rich assholes I was just talking about the stereotypical cigar smoker that the common public sees. You know, the 'I'm-better-than-you-because-I-smoke-cigars" kind of thing. Cigars have always been associated (whether we like it or not) with money and class, at least to a certain extent. What I was trying to get across was the fact that the uneducated public doesn't know that normal people actually smoke cigars, and lots of them, and therefore they are not playing as much robin hood (or any at all, really) as they would like to be.
But yeah, that is some scary shit.

TYLER
I know what you mean Tyler. I hang with cigar smokers but also move in other worlds. SOme people would attribute the same traits to people who eat out, drive v-8's, have cable etc. Its scary to hear young people generalize. Thier favorite past time is next.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have been reading on digg that if this bill does pass the senate, the president is going to veto it.

I'm not to worried about it. If it passes, it looks like our out of country friends will be getting more cigar business. Right now they are making a mint on CC's that are being sold to US citizens, image if they can corner the entire cigar market and offer CC's and NC's for prices that are unheard of here in the States.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have been reading on digg that if this bill does pass the senate, the president is going to veto it.

I'm not to worried about it. If it passes, it looks like our out of country friends will be getting more cigar business. Right now they are making a mint on CC's that are being sold to US citizens, image if they can corner the entire cigar market and offer CC's and NC's for prices that are unheard of here in the States.
Yeah, he has already said he would veto it.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm not to worried about it...
Let's make the phone calls anyway and not get complacent. Bush isn't vetoing it 'cause of the cigar tax, and I wouldn't count on promises from ANY politician.