What's new

New from SoCal

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello fellow BOTL's. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm a relatively new cigar smoker with about 18 months of avid collecting, smoking, studying under my belt. I can confidently say I've smoked enough to be able to consider myself a discerning smoker. I started off smoking infused cigars from Drew Estate and slowly but surely graduated to the real premo stuff. Over time, I've acquired enough cigars to fill up about 2/3 of my Emerson 8 bottle wineador with a variety of different cigars, including, but not limited to, Unicos, Habanos, LFD's, Tatuajes, My Father's, DPG's, and much more.

I used to store my 50 count desktop humidor at around 69RH in a relatively cool environment (70's) and have never had a problem with my cigars. However, since I've transitioned to wineador storage (65RH via Boveda and 63 temp), I've been noticing more and more of my cigars starting to taste really bitter and sour. I lowered my RH because I was under the impression that my cigars were tasting nasty because they were over humidified. I even threw in some primed KL to compensate for any possible over humidification. It's been sitting at a consistent 65/63 for at least 2 months now, but my cigars are still not where I would like them to be. Does anybody have any suggestions or possible solutions for my cigars?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Realized I left some pertinent information out:
- Xikar Round Hygrometer
- Wiped down wineador and left open for weeks to get rid of any residual odor (used)
- 1 Drawer from Forrest
- 1 Cedar drawer from Amazon
- 3 65 Boveda's inside wineador
- 1 Tatuaje Old Man & the C Coffin full of KL
- Wineador is always plugged in

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Welcome, from the Great State of Texas!

I wish I could help you with your issue, but, alas, I can't. I am sure that there are some brothers here who can assist.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Welcome from MN.

As far as the taste goes. Over humidification would be my guess. The easiest way to test that is to "dry box" them for a day or two. "Dry boxing" is literally just sticking them in an empty cigar box for a day or two before smoking them so that they dry out a bit. Try that and if the taste goes away, viola, you have your answer. If it doesn't solve your question than I am not sure. Did you clean the wine fridge before converting it?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks to all!

@ChefBoyRG54: I would totally participate but I wouldn't want to bomb anyone with bitter/sour gars.

@jonesry09: Does it matter if the empty box has been sitting out completely bone dry? I would assume that it wouldn't since the purpose of this would be to suck some humidity out of the cigar correct? If that's the case, I've tried dry boxing in my now empty desktop humidor but that didn't prove to be that helpful. I've tried pulling 3 cigars out and keeping them in a ziplock bag which was placed in a ziplock bag then placed in another ziplock bag for 2 days but that didn't really help at all either. And yes, the wineador was wiped down and left open for weeks to dry and air out.

Last edited:

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Thanks to all!

@ChefBoyRG54: I would totally participate but I wouldn't want to bomb anyone with bitter/sour gars.

@jonesry09: Does it matter if the empty box has been sitting out completely bone dry? I would assume that it wouldn't since the purpose of this would be to suck some humidity out of the cigar correct? If that's the case, I've tried dry boxing in my now empty desktop humidor but that didn't prove to be that helpful. I've tried pulling 3 cigars out and keeping them in a ziplock bag which was placed in a ziplock bag then placed in another ziplock bag for 2 days but that didn't really help at all either.
Make a donation, could win some not sour sticks :)

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks to all!

@jonesry09: Does it matter if the empty box has been sitting out completely bone dry? I would assume that it wouldn't since the purpose of this would be to suck some humidity out of the cigar correct? If that's the case, I've tried dry boxing in my now empty desktop humidor but that didn't prove to be that helpful. I've tried pulling 3 cigars out and keeping them in a ziplock bag which was placed in a ziplock bag then placed in another ziplock bag for 2 days but that didn't really help at all either. And yes, the wineador was wiped down and left open for weeks to dry and air out.
No it wouldn't matter if it was bone dry as you were correct in your assumption. I am out of ideas then. Sorry

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Howdy from San Diego. Where abouts in so cal? As for the taste, did you ever keep your infused smokes w the others?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@jwintosh: North Orange County. Super jealous you get to live in San Diego. My cigar collecting didn't start until well after my infused cigar stage so to answer your question, no, they were never stored together.

3/5King: So I've heard...that could be it I guess. Maybe I'm just growing very impartial to strong overpowering leather taste lingering on my tongue and lips. I hardly ever pick up any sweet nuances on the corresponding part of my tongue either. Weird...