What's new

New Humi

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I need a new humidor, I'm thinking about....

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=HUM-75DRIMP

I 'outgrew' (as everyone said I would) my fifty count. I found this one and was attracted to the proce point...but I'm nervous about sacrificiing quality. I want to make sure my puros are well protected...What do you guys think?

P.s.~ I know there have been a ton of "newbie humidor" threads lately and I apologize for adding another...I just want to make sure I'm pulling the right trigger

P.P.S~ If anyone has a 100 count laying around that they're not using, I'd be interested in a purchase or trade? (I know not likely but I figured worth a stab :eyebrow: )

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Josh, go larger than that if you can...it won't really hold the amount advertised, and you will outgrow it quickly....think BIG my man!

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I've done some shopping recently, and there are some decent boxes in that price range, but also some that look like they were born to serve as pot storage for teenagers.

Everyone around here gave me great advice - extra $$$ spent on a humi could be spent on cigars, but that it should also be worthy of the value of its contents (refer to the packing list of our box split). Also, the one you're looking at is a second w/ an analog hygro. if you include the price of a digital, you're close to the cost of a new humi of the same mode (on the same site) that includes the digtal hygro. Just a thought.

I think the "go big" advice is good too. I have separate humis for NC and CC (to keep my friends out of my CC) and am building a wine cooler humi for boxes. I can also stock the desktops out of the boxes. Just another thought...

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My recollection is that bargainhumidors.com sells decent product and backs it up. I can definitely say that about cheaphumidors.com. FWIW.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Josh please take their advice!!! I made the mistake by starting with that same size humi. I quickly upgraded to the Vicksburg and I'm now looking at cabinets!!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Josh, it's already been said, but let me put it more to the point: you are going too small.

Standard questions apply: How do you buy? Boxes or singles? How quickly did you fill the 50 count? What's your level of pain as far as price goes?

Aaron makes an excellent point on the regular vs seconds model. If you like the hygro supplied with the regular model it's a much better deal. If you want something else then the seconds model is fine. Some thoughts to ponder:
A large Tupper-dor will do you just as well and will cost you less than half what you are getting ready to spend. You aren't talking a lot of money here so the standard argument of save your money for cigars isnt' really going to apply as you will be able to get maybe 3-4 cigars with the money you save, but you have to look at why you are buying what you are buying. Cheap storage? Then go CHEAP. Like desktops? Then you are going to be disappointed with this on-the-cheap-side humidor. Save up your money for something nice.

Either way, go bigger. :thumbsup:

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
First of all...Let me thank everyone for their patience and advice. Here are my thoughts on the matter:

1) I do like desktops and will probably end up buying one of those

2) I currently purchase samplers, 5er's, box splits, etc. But plan to one day evolve to purchasing boxes in order to 'let them nap'. I think I will mantain a humi for my sticks, and one day set up a coolador for boxes.

3) SO....i'm looking at one of the two following desktops for my upgrade:

http://www.cigarmony.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=49_66&products_id=427

http://www.cigarmony.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=49_66&products_id=422

Boys...what do you think?:help:
Mark...you've got them...any opinions?:help:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ditto the above, though I do like that inlay.

Mark, does the round self-calibrating hygro fit in the space of that analog?

If the answer to that question is yes Josh I'd pick one up along with the humi to replace that analog hygro. You won't regret it.

Good luck with your choice! :thumbsup:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I love the first one; in fact I thought about buying that very one myself at one point, mainly because I like the way it looks. Of course, I figured I didn't need yet another desktop humi, so I'm going a totally different route now...but if I were to buy a desktop, that is the exact unit I'd buy.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Both of those look pretty slick.

I'd get the first one since its dimensions are larger, but the one with the tobacco inlay is sweet.
They are slightly larger but I think with some velcro, it would act as a large enough spacer to allow it to fit in above the same hole :thumbsup:

~Mark

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
First of all...Let me thank everyone for their patience and advice. Here are my thoughts on the matter:

1) I do like desktops and will probably end up buying one of those

2) I currently purchase samplers, 5er's, box splits, etc. But plan to one day evolve to purchasing boxes in order to 'let them nap'. I think I will mantain a humi for my sticks, and one day set up a coolador for boxes.

3) SO....i'm looking at one of the two following desktops for my upgrade:

http://www.cigarmony.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=49_66&products_id=427

http://www.cigarmony.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=49_66&products_id=422

Boys...what do you think?:help:
Mark...you've got them...any opinions?:help:
I like the look of the first one

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
awright boys...after much consideration I've decided to order this one from mark.

Mark...once again thanks for everything man...awesome service!

Now I do have two more questions (I'm sorry everyone):

1) a friend of mine (not from this site) is hooking me up with four of the boveda easy seasoning packets. do these work? is four enough for this humi? how long do they need to sit until they are all set?

2) I am planning on upgrading my hygro to the adjustable round digi hygro, and replacing the humidification media with heartfelt beads. My question is which (if any) of the following two will fit in the humi, and if i put in the beads, can i completely remove the other media, or should it be left there

http://heartfeltindustries.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=41&osCsid=54c7c692ad179cb89dcdde07647dd92b

http://heartfeltindustries.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=78&osCsid=bffa26c148b00610fe9b405da36812c5

Any help as always would be VERY much appreciated...Thanks In Advance Fellas!!!