What's new

new to roasting

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The "crisp" taste you guy are getting is the brightness. Zama - it's possible your first cup was too hot, though it sounds like your procedure is spot on.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The "crisp" taste you guy are getting is the brightness. Zama - it's possible your first cup was too hot, though it sounds like your procedure is spot on.
Nice. Now I know what brightness tastes like. Always wondered what that meant. . Thanks Kev.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Okay everyone here goes my review -- sorry for the lateness of this, but my damn cold would not go away.

*Note - I'm a newb and while I can taste different flavors a lot of times I have trouble, like so many of us, describing them

Number of cups for test: 2 (1 black, 1 with cream) [will revisit when the cold is completely gone)
Coffee: 6 tbs
Water: 24 oz
Brew Method: French Press
Brew Time: 4 minutes
Grind: Coarse
Roast: Light & Very Dry

Dry Aroma: coffee - couldn't pick much else up
Wet Aroma: little bits of citrus

Initial Impression - Overall - was very bright. Brewed stronger this might be good iced even though it's lighter.

Black
-----
Front of tongue there's something there I can't quite describe
Middle of tongue I get bits of lemon and brightness
Back of mouth - I get hops. Never had a coffee I would describe as hoppy before

Cream
--------
Adding cream kills the citrus and hoppy flavor, but transforms it into something very silk (beyond what cream normally does) and give a subtle sweetness to it.

Final thought
---------------
Overall pretty good. I did not brew this strong enough and look forward to revisiting it once I'm feeling 100%. If this was a coffee available locally to me I would buy it on occasion.

Thanks for letting me participate!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone else been roasting beans lately?[/QUOTE
I am trying a new bean supplier with good prices out of Madison WI. So far so good.
After many years of "pro" level coffee lifestyle including resale of boutique roasted products I am back to the beans in a simple enjoyable way. Simple roasting, simple but correct brewing and testing and mostly the simple pleasure of the brew trying to pair it with the right cigar in an accented or contrasting match.
I.know I will escalate already planning the perfect home roaster from spare parts and I'm I'm up to my old ways planning new blends. Some things have changed in thati cannot drink heavy acid coffee and my budget is thin. I sure would like to start a little club with some guys that want to do a box pass with individual. Coffee and cigar profiling and testing. I was thinking budget like a fiver and 4 ozs each for a 5 person pass with identical brewing in an immersion and pour over deal and the cigar to compare each others experience for the joy of the hobby.
I'm testing a promising bean from the island of Bali roasted to first crack and thinking it will be paired with a 5 Vegas Classic.
I.talk too much but this thread got me excited.
Ttyl, Craig