What's new

new to roasting

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive got you listed as #3 freebird...

maybe we can convince javaman to roast anything I bring back green.. and then distribute to the rest of the test group?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dude, ask kevin first, please. he has to make time to do it, then reshipping is on him, AND we are getting into holiday season, so time may be tight. just saying

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
roger all...

not trying to impose on anyone... and we will be getting very close to the holidays... I wont be getting back in country until the week before Christmas..

Ill cover re-shipping costs though.. no issues there (other than the inconvienience)..

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
roger all...

not trying to impose on anyone... and we will be getting very close to the holidays... I wont be getting back in country until the week before Christmas..

Ill cover re-shipping costs though.. no issues there (other than the inconvienience)..
I'll try to fit it in. Should be a fun experiment.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
beans are procured!

I found a place here in Juba that sells green ethiopian bean (there are a lot of migrant ethiopian workers here).. its considerably more expensive here than it would be if I picked it up in Addis.. but I figured what the hell.. if we're going native.. lets go REALLY NATIVE and grab what we know the locals are drinking instead of taking the chance on getting something that might have been set aside for a european or US market..

picked up a total of 2 kilos (about 4 and a half pounds).. total cost was 50 South Sudanese Pounds.. the current exchange rate is 4.2 to 1... so total cost was roughly $11.90 US dollars... or about $2.65 per pound of bean...

I was told if I had purchased the same beans in Addis, they would have been about 30% cheaper.. due to transportation costs, fees paid at the border, etc..

Tried to obtain a receipt.. but couldnt make that happen.. you'll have to trust me on the cost.. photos should more than verify that the test beans were not bought in the US, Europe, online, etc..

Here's the shop in the market where they were purchased:

beans are on the top shelf (4 bags) just to the right of the gold foil packages...

closer pic of the beans (I bought 2 bags total)....

Ill be back home on Sunday.. will try to get the package mailed off to Kev on Monday...

lets get our roast on!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Jump in if you like Sean... so far we only have 3 BOTL's on "the list"... and we've got 4 1/2 pounds of beans to sample.. plenty to go around :)

with the holidays quickly approaching, it might be a little while before we have a finished product on hand...

but Im happy to cover shipping costs for a couple of more guys if someone else wants to play (rupe?).....

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
beans are procured!

I found a place here in Juba that sells green ethiopian bean (there are a lot of migrant ethiopian workers here).. its considerably more expensive here than it would be if I picked it up in Addis.. but I figured what the hell.. if we're going native.. lets go REALLY NATIVE and grab what we know the locals are drinking instead of taking the chance on getting something that might have been set aside for a european or US market..

picked up a total of 2 kilos (about 4 and a half pounds).. total cost was 50 South Sudanese Pounds.. the current exchange rate is 4.2 to 1... so total cost was roughly $11.90 US dollars... or about $2.65 per pound of bean...

I was told if I had purchased the same beans in Addis, they would have been about 30% cheaper.. due to transportation costs, fees paid at the border, etc..

Tried to obtain a receipt.. but couldnt make that happen.. you'll have to trust me on the cost.. photos should more than verify that the test beans were not bought in the US, Europe, online, etc..

Here's the shop in the market where they were purchased:

beans are on the top shelf (4 bags) just to the right of the gold foil packages...

closer pic of the beans (I bought 2 bags total)....

Ill be back home on Sunday.. will try to get the package mailed off to Kev on Monday...

lets get our roast on!
Just saw this post for some reason. That's really cool! Did they tell you whether the beans were wet or dry processed by chance? More than likely dry since that's what Ethiopia is known for. Huge difference in cup characteristics between the two processes.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
the guy in the shop barely spoke english lol... I had the guy thats holding the beans in the 3rd picture translating for me between some broken pidgeon arabic, english, and swahili I think :) ....

Im pretty sure he had no idea how they were processed.. even if I knew to ask.. he was so focused on trying to sell me his TV, some used tires, and his daughter after I didnt haggle with him over his asking price on the coffee.. I dont know that I could have gotten him to take the time to tell me anything else about the beans lol....

Slidzero

Belicoso Brother
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to get in on this if there is room. If a more senior member of the forums wants in and it's the last spot then they can have it. But I think this would be a ton if fun.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Jump in if you like Sean... so far we only have 3 BOTL's on "the list"... and we've got 4 1/2 pounds of beans to sample.. plenty to go around :)

with the holidays quickly approaching, it might be a little while before we have a finished product on hand...

but Im happy to cover shipping costs for a couple of more guys if someone else wants to play (rupe?).....

If you don't mind, I would love to!

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I would love to get in on this if there is room. If a more senior member of the forums wants in and it's the last spot then they can have it. But I think this would be a ton if fun.
If mdwest is cool with it, so am I. It sounds like there'll be more than enough java to go around. I just need to make the time to roast it & ship it out after the holidays.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
OK I am WAY late to this post and party and do not roast, but want one more hobby that fits my OCD...

Mind if I watch this unfold casually from the sidelines. Not trying to but in here just want to get permission in case I start asking a few questions and someone wonders what this jackass from Texas is doing sticking his nose in something he has no business in...

Don't want to offend anyone, nor butt into someone else' party. If nothing else, learn something else from the two Java nuts involved.

Incidentally, the background on Africa was way too dang interesting for me to not want to absorb some knowledge from others.

Thanks and sorry for such a long thread jack...:eek:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
If mdwest is cool with it, so am I. It sounds like there'll be more than enough java to go around. I just need to make the time to roast it & ship it out after the holidays.
I'm cool with it... enjoy!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Mind if I watch this unfold casually from the sidelines. Not trying to but in here just want to get permission in case I start asking a few questions and someone wonders what this jackass from Texas is doing sticking his nose in something he has no business in...
Welcome to the party raider :)

youre probably more coffee informed/aware than I am... Im just the bean mule lol.... I intend on asking a ton of questions myself once we take the next steps...