What's new

Newbie Wine Recommendations

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I Typically enjoy beer, but recently had the opportunity to try some CA Cab's and found that they good immensely well with cigars, borderline crack combo. Some of them were totally out of my price range, cant see how some people pay $80 plus for a single bottle of wine. I did pick up a $25 dollar bottle of Roots Run Deep: Educated Guess Cab last weekend, and I must say, wow... it was an excellent bottle of vino.

Now I don't know much about wine at all, and there are so many differently priced bottles... cult wines... etc.... I am assuming its kind of like the cigar market... small batch/boutique, high priced limited editions, regular production.... I am trying to find the sweet spot $ range for a good bottle of CA wine, but don't know this market. Perhaps recommend a few vineyards/bottles, online stores to purchase.

I noticed the $25 bottle I bought retail was $14 a bottle before shipping, and even after a case purchase of it, would still be $8 a bottle cheaper than retail. You know me, I like to find the best deal I can w/o feeling like I got bent over. I've also had a organic grocery store brand (Earthfare's Big Tomato) wine which is made in CA, was decent/drinkable for $85 a case. Orin Swift caught my eye (good marketing), but havn't tried it yet.

Any recommendations would be appreciated to start this slippery slope :)

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Orin Swift wines are excellent across the board. Abstract, Saldo, and D66 are my (somewhat) affordable favorites.

Here's a short list to get you started. My everyday wines are Filon (Grenache), Milbrandt Vineyards Traditions Cabernet, Goats Do Roam Red (seriously), and Rodney Strong Knotty Vines Zinfandel. The Cab and Zin are $14 and the other 2 are $8.

Afterthought: Meiomi Pinot Noir is always a crowd pleaser. It's very fruit forward and jammy which is what Pinots should not be (but good wine is good wine). It can be found anywhere and everywhere for $15-18.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Orin Swift wines are excellent across the board. Abstract, Saldo, and D66 are my (somewhat) affordable favorites.

Here's a short list to get you started. My everyday wines are Filon (Grenache), Milbrandt Vineyards Traditions Cabernet, Goats Do Roam Red (seriously), and Rodney Strong Knotty Vines Zinfandel. The Cab and Zin are $14 and the other 2 are $8.
Do you purchase your wines online?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Alright so I am by no means an expert or Sommelier but I love red wine and specifically, Cabernet Sauvignons. I know a little more than most but I've kept myself from getting too much into it so I don't start buying more or so it doesn't become another hobby lol.

I enjoy the bold wines with strong lingering tannins. A little bit of fruit but not too much. Vanilla, cedar, oak, leather, chocolate, etc with a full mouth feel and a dry finish.

I purchase all my wine from Total Wine, an alcohol powerhouse. I'm not sure how many locations they have or where they are in the nation. Below I have listed a lot of stuff that I enjoy. Everyone I have listed I would recommend to anyone who enjoys Cab Savs. I went Total Wine's website and literally went down the list of everything I've tried and copied and pasted it below if I enjoy it.

Everything is "moderately priced". I think the most expensive bottle on there is $35 but most are in the $20 range. There's far better bottles but I'm sure you know that they can quickly increase in price. I hope you enjoy!

Sextant Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles, 2013
Mascota Vineyards La Mascota Cabernet Sauvignon, 2013
Mascota Vineyards Unanime, 2011
J Lohr Cabernet Seven Oaks
Courtney Benham Cabernet Sauvignon Napa, 2013
Olema Cabernet, 2012
Coastline Cabernet Reserve
14 Hands Cabernet
Dominican Oaks Cabernet NapaMuirwood Cabernet, 2013
The Calling Cabernet Alexander Valley, 2012
Michel Gassier Cabernet Les Piliers
St Francis Cabernet

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Brother, do they have a BevMo or Total wine and beer near you? An excellent place to try different wines at different prices. There are so many great wines near the $10-$20 price point and will not break the bank. Try Sryahs, Pinot Noir, zinfandels, cAbs, heck try them all to find out what your palate likes.

Some people even like $2 Chuck (ChArles Shaw) from Trader Joes.

We just went on a day trip up to Paso Robles this weekend for an event at one of my favorite wineries, Justin. Walked away with 6 great bottles of wine there. Went to 5 other wineries also, taste some good wines, but taste some I wouldn't waste money on. you have to try wines to know.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
There's so many good ones out there. I stroll thru Costco and grab anything dry an red under 10 bucks. All of its decent, some of it is very good. 20+ on a bottle of wine is when we're at a winery buying from the guy that made it or a very special occasion.

Hell even two buck chuck at trader Joe's is decent. Give that a shot :)

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Never heard of bevmo or total wine but we have a trader joes somewhat out of the way. Local whole foods coming soon to

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Brother, do they have a BevMo or Total wine and beer near you? An excellent place to try different wines at different prices. There are so many great wines near the $10-$20 price point and will not break the bank. Try Sryahs, Pinot Noir, zinfandels, cAbs, heck try them all to find out what your palate likes.

Some people even like $2 Chuck (ChArles Shaw) from Trader Joes.
Trader Joe's $2-5 bottles are actually good for the money. Tons of sugar though I feel lol

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Marietta Old Vine Red and Louis M. Martini, Sonoma County are two on the best values in Reds on the planet. Both are considerably south of $20 and are excellent. I have been drinking the Old vine red since it was lot 14. It is now up to lot 50 something or higher. Neither of the wines have ever disappointed. Readily available, good enough for guest and cheap enough for everyday.

Last edited: