What's new

Newbie Wine Recommendations

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
As was mentioned, Costco is a great source too. Try any bottle from Tobin James, Opollo, Justin. Reasonably priced too. There are probably 100 wines at every Costco, some have even more. I even like their Kirkland Tawny Port, although it's made by someone else. I know the Costco by my house has probably 200 different wines.

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Two nice wines I like, that won't break the bank ie10-12$ are
Marques des Carceres- Rioja
Chateau st Michelle- Cab
Both are full bodied wines that compliment cigars well.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You will get as many opinions on this as if you asked what's you favorite cigar.
Every state in the union has decent winery's now, not so twenty years ago. Tastes are very subjective but I bet you could find a favorite bottle for under 10 bucks, easily.....
Good luck, brother, but be warned.......you think finding the perfect cigar is addicting........

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
You guys are recommending 2 buck chuck?! Get the fuck out of here with that headache in a bottle shit.
I don't drink wine. He just said trader joes and that's all I know about wine and trader joes. Didn't think anyone would take it seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
shopper's vineyard is a good online source which sometimes offer free shipping. also, hi time wine cellars is a great shop for the west coast.

Michael David winery is my go-to these days. 7 deadly zins, freakshow cab, and both the Earthquake zin and cab are awesome and all can be found for < $20.

i do enjoy the pairing of wine and cigars!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
John -- try any tawny Porto with a cigar and you'll learn true addiction. :cigar: It's a fortified wine...about 18% ABV! :eek: The mouthfeel and dried fruit notes are a superb pairing with just about any stick. Or get a California port if you're on a budget; they're almost as good to my relatively unrefined palate. I just picked up a whole case of this stuff today for $7/bottle at my local wine superstore. Fantastic wine for the money! http://www.gianteagle.com/85000005521.aspx

FYI, "Porto" is port straight from Portugal, while "port" is generic port from any other country. Kind of like how "Champagne" is bubbly from that region of France, while everything else is just "sparkling wine."

If you want to try a nice tawny Porto from Portugal, I recommend you start cheap and work your way up, just to make sure you like it:

1. Sandeman Tawny Porto (about $15). Great value.
2. Dow's Tawny Porto ($15). Also very nice!
3. Dow's 10-Year Tawny Porto ($32) Amazing! (y)
4. Taylor-Fladgate 10-Year Tawny ($34) World-class! (y)

Good luck brother...and whatever you do, don't kill a whole bottle of this stuff in one sitting. DAMHIK! (Don't Ask Me How I Know!) ;)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Alright so I am by no means an expert or Sommelier but I love red wine and specifically, Cabernet Sauvignons. I know a little more than most but I've kept myself from getting too much into it so I don't start buying more or so it doesn't become another hobby lol.

I enjoy the bold wines with strong lingering tannins. A little bit of fruit but not too much. Vanilla, cedar, oak, leather, chocolate, etc with a full mouth feel and a dry finish.

I purchase all my wine from Total Wine, an alcohol powerhouse. I'm not sure how many locations they have or where they are in the nation. Below I have listed a lot of stuff that I enjoy. Everyone I have listed I would recommend to anyone who enjoys Cab Savs. I went Total Wine's website and literally went down the list of everything I've tried and copied and pasted it below if I enjoy it.

Everything is "moderately priced". I think the most expensive bottle on there is $35 but most are in the $20 range. There's far better bottles but I'm sure you know that they can quickly increase in price. I hope you enjoy!

Sextant Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles, 2013
Mascota Vineyards La Mascota Cabernet Sauvignon, 2013
Mascota Vineyards Unanime, 2011
J Lohr Cabernet Seven Oaks
Courtney Benham Cabernet Sauvignon Napa, 2013
Olema Cabernet, 2012
Coastline Cabernet Reserve
14 Hands Cabernet
Dominican Oaks Cabernet NapaMuirwood Cabernet, 2013
The Calling Cabernet Alexander Valley, 2012
Michel Gassier Cabernet Les Piliers
St Francis Cabernet
Jlohr is probably my favorite on this list but everyone of these are AWESOME for the price. (y)

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here in California we get a good deal on these wines during the 5-cent wine sales every quarter: basically buy 1 bottle get the other for 5 cents. As it turns out though, these two wines are always on sale at Bevmo:

http://www.bevmo.com/ranch-32-pinot-noir--750-ml-.html
http://www.bevmo.com/catalog/product/view/id/1589

You might be able to order a case from Bevmo on-line. Shipping might be pricey though. Vineyards in Napa, Russian River, Sonoma, Monterrey, and Santa Barbara, the Willamette Valley in Oregon usually offer deals on both wines and shipping. Some vineyards have flat rate deals with UPS, FedEx, etc...

As for pairing, I find Pinot Noirs to be the best for my tastes (and I am absolutely no connoisseur). The reason for me is simple: Pinot Noirs are lighter-bodied reds that won't overpower your palate when smoking. Cabs are very good wines for sure, but they tend to be too rich and heavy for me when smoking. The nuances of the cigar typically get drowned out and over-powered by Cabs, Syrahs, Malbecs, Merlots, and Burgundys in my opinion. From noticing your cigar tastes through Today's Smoke thread, you seem to like full-bodied cigars. If you pair them with those heavy wine types listed above, your palate might get blown away and the cigar might get lost. At least that has been my experience. Someone who has been pairing wines and cigars for many years probably won't have that problem. But for me, heavy reds mute out the flavors of a good cigar.

Pinot Noirs from Napa, Russian River, Monterrey, the Willamette Valley region in Oregon are all very good. Prices range anywhere from $8 to $32. I would not go any higher than that range for newb purposes. Wines are like cigars, you have to develop your palate before you can really appreciate the $50 to $250 wines. I've been told by experienced wine drinkers that cheap Napa and Sonoma Pinot Noirs are the best way to start out and train your palate for the price range.

So in a nutshell, I would start with Pinot Noirs from the regions I listed above, and I would not stray out of $8 to $32 price range. But like I said, I am no connoisseur.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Apparently they only ship inner-CA and not to other states sadly :(
I would find out who the largest wine retailer is in your state. As in all retail, the greater the turnover, the lower the prices. But decent Cali Pinots can be bought in that $8 to $32 range all over the country. Interstate alcohol regulation is brutal. If you find something you like, call the vineyard directly. Sometimes you find deals that way. Shipping costs might put a strain on the wallet though. The smaller local merchants are typically more expensive everywhere. Costco is also a great place to buy bulk as well.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There's some great CA wines, but get out and explore other parts of the US and the world's wines, you might never want to look back.

I saw you posted something with the wine tasting's too, which is another good way to step into it. Check out your local liquor stores and some of the bigger name stores like Stew Leonards or Total Wine. They might do tastings every weekend. I know the lone Stew Leonard's here on LI does them every weekend. I started out with tastings too. Here on Long Island, we have a ton of local vineyards and breweries on the east end of the island. When going for tastings, wherever you wind up going, dive in with an open mind and get a feel of what you like and dislike.

Jason @ZippoGeek posted some mighty tasty port (and porto) wines as well. I for one, LOVE the Sandeman Tawny Porto. I had it for the first time on my cruise in September 2015 and never looked back. When I came home, first order of business was to hit the liquor store for my search. They had it and I told them keep stock for me because I'd be back for more.

If you find any local vineyards, check them out too. Sometimes you might find your diamond in the rough right outside your door.