What's new

Newbs and restorers

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Yeah, almost looks like a coin that was "double struck" in the mint. A bit of a second ghosted impression...
I see what your saying. To me it looks like the pipe was restored before. Sanded buffed and refinished so some of the letters are faded.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The stem has no markings at all. The "hall uf fame" is a single line and almost on the top of the shaft. But seeing how the made in stamp is not clear, maybe the hall stamp is also incomplete?

the font is exactly the same as your picture...

Last edited:

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I see what your saying. To me it looks like the pipe was restored before. Sanded buffed and refinished so some of the letters are faded.
I think this theory makes a lot of sense, being that the markings are pretty hard to perceive. To catch them on camera I need to place the pipe near a lampe at a proper angle.

That said, I think 'Saint Claude' in your picture is not a name, but a place. In France. Because, up on further examination, the 'hall uf fame' stamp does indeed have two lines, but on mine it says 'London Made'

So... I guess the 'hall uf fame' is a series?

If the pipe was sanded, the stem was likely sanded along with it.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
The habs won within five minutes of overtime so I Figured I'd go ahead: nobody said anything otherwise...

That's the big ben (thanks a lot @8ball). With @USHOG blend#2 (thanks again brother)
It smokes well. I have an easier time keeping it lit than my other pipe!!! the bowl keep cooler, too.
As I already had pointed out in chat, I kinda like how this one feel in-hand. I night recurve the stem, however...

regardless, its more enjoyable :)

Maybe I don't suck at packing after all...

Yeah, the Big Ben is a good smoker. I bought that one from a brother on my previous forum for $7 and it served me well. I primarily smoked lane rlp6 in that one.

it went of near half bowl, and I decided to try the Smoke Master instead of relighting.

I am having a harder time keeping this one lit. Might be my packing.
I like this one less than the big ben so far, but must admit it also smokes good. Thanks again @8ball
Agreed, the smoke master is just kind of average, but from what I found, I think that company went out of business in the 50's, but I could be wrong. I smoked aro's in that one.

And I figured I needed to try the canadian one as well.

At first I was scared. While I tought it would be my favorite, the draw was tighter. But it got better and keeps lit rather good too.
@8ball, is there a reason you smoke that one only a few times? It is rather enjoyable too.
But I must admit I like how the big ben holds in hand.

So far restoring them is a great experience that I will have to do again. Thanks a lot for this opportunity to try it out. I has been intrigued by doing restorations, but without knowing, I might have never took the plunge and tried.
I smoked some English in this one, but I think the main reason I never smoked this one is because I bought a Peterson soon after and used that pipe for English blends. I don't smoke nearly as much as some of these guys, so it just kind of got pushed aside as I didn't need a bunch of pipes in my rotation.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Agreed, the smoke master is just kind of average, but from what I found, I think that company went out of business in the 50's, but I could be wrong. I smoked aro's in that one.
Yesterday while chatting with @3/5King I decided to try something. The question was "why am I getting better burn with those pipes" or more "did I suddenly learn to pack properly?"
Dave also pointed out some brothers said its a good idea to save up for a good pipe.
Soooo... I packed my "old" pipe - the one with which I was having difficulty getting good burn.

The result is IMPRESSIVE and UNBELIEVEABLE.
with the old pipe I couldn't keep a good burn going. Same me, same packing, same baccy, but shitty burn. And the draw isn't as good.

Now, that pipe was brand new, gotten from a local B&M. Its made in china. To think that the money spent towards it could have lead to several project pipes and now knowing it would have smoked better, I tend to say "get a good pipe" to anyone getting to try pipe smoking, and "try your hand at restoring a pipe, its fun, and you have a better relation with the pipe"

Now, that smoke master might be kind of average, but even "average" like this is WAY BETTER than some new offerings available at the B&Ms...

I tell you, I am amazed at how pipe smoking is better with any of those!

for the records, I kept the hall of fame lit for a good 15 minutes straight yesterday. Awesome :)

Last edited:

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
On the topic of newbie at restauration, i read a lot online about stems. And discussed about it in chat. I went with an approach suggested by sailor Mark and used fine grit sand paper as a test on the smoke master.

Heres what it looked before

I used wet 600 grit because that is what I had and it went trough the oxydation quite nicely.

Then some buffing with olive oil and lemon juice 50-50 mix and here's what it looks like now

I will have to do the same on the two others.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
On the topic of newbie at restauration, i read a lot online about stems. And discussed about it in chat. I went with an approach suggested by sailor Mark and used fine grit sand paper as a test on the smoke master.

I used wet 600 grit because that is what I had and it went trough the oxydation quite nicely.

Then some buffing with olive oil and lemon juice 50-50 mix and here's what it looks like now

Very nice looking work.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0

Looking good brother. Glad you're having fun with this.