What's new

Newbs and restorers

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I don't have a reamer so I tried sanding down instead. Used sandpaper and sanding tools. Pretty sure it was longer to perform but I got trough and to the point of exposing bare wood.
Cleaned with q-tips and alcohol. For quite a long time.

Salt treatment number two reveals a lot less yuckiness.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Bad cake, no reamer, try this prior to salt treatment. Cotton balls, soak them after they are in the bowl with alcohol. Remove them the take a dull knife and scrape it away. Will come out like tar. I've have pipes that a reamer wouldn't go in. This works pretty well.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Bad cake, no reamer, try this prior to salt treatment. Cotton balls, soak them after they are in the bowl with alcohol. Remove them the take a dull knife and scrape it away. Will come out like tar. I've have pipes that a reamer wouldn't go in. This works pretty well.
Well I figured out yesterday that two of those pipes have the bowls tapered and not straight and wouldn't have reamed super well anyway lol. I used dremel sanding bits and sandpaper.

Your method sound a lot faster than mine...

No pictures this morning being that the phone camera refused to work. But two of the pipes salt turned a bit beige, the third kept white.
I removed and cleaned quickly and am performing a third treatment.

Tonight I'll work on the outside finish.

I was looking trough my wood finish supplies yesterday, and I have two shades of oak. I would have dyed the longer one (canadian shape?) green if I still had any, but dark oak it might be. Or plain oak. not sure yet.

Last edited:

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Well I figured out yesterday that two of those pipes have the bowls tapered and not straight and wouldn't have reamed super well anyway lol. I used dremel sanding bits and sandpaper.

Your method sound a lot faster than mine...

No pictures this morning being that the phone camera refused to work. But two of the pipes salt turned a bit beige, the third kept white.
I removed and cleaned quickly and am performing a third treatment.

Tonight I'll work on the outside finish.

I was looking trough my wood finish supplies yesterday, and I have two shades of oak. I would have dyed the longer one (canadian shape?) green if I still had any, but dark oak it might be. Or plain oak. not sure yet.
I probably only smoked that Canadian less than 5 times, so if its the one thats staying white, it's probably still somewhat fresh from when I did a salt treatment on it.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The salt didn't yellow very much this time, I guess that's sufficent?

Here's what their bowls look like

Looking online I learned that adding varnish would seal the pores of the wood and prevent the pipe from breathing. Now that sounds like a rather bad thing.

There are other ways to finish wood furniture; some ways include beeswax... one way include oils and acids such as 50-50 lemon juice and olive oil.
Well, I didn't have lemon or even vinegar, but decided to still try and polish them with a dremel polishing bit and olive oil.

Here's how it turned out after buffing then drying with a towel.

Other then waiting to ensure the alcohol has dissipated, do I have to do anything else prior to smoking any of them??

Last edited:

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The habs won within five minutes of overtime so I Figured I'd go ahead: nobody said anything otherwise...

That's the big ben (thanks a lot @8ball). With @USHOG blend#2 (thanks again brother)
It smokes well. I have an easier time keeping it lit than my other pipe!!! the bowl keep cooler, too.
As I already had pointed out in chat, I kinda like how this one feel in-hand. I night recurve the stem, however...

regardless, its more enjoyable :)

Maybe I don't suck at packing after all...

Last edited:

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
And I figured I needed to try the canadian one as well.

At first I was scared. While I tought it would be my favorite, the draw was tighter. But it got better and keeps lit rather good too.
@8ball, is there a reason you smoke that one only a few times? It is rather enjoyable too.
But I must admit I like how the big ben holds in hand.

So far restoring them is a great experience that I will have to do again. Thanks a lot for this opportunity to try it out. I has been intrigued by doing restorations, but without knowing, I might have never took the plunge and tried.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The salt didn't yellow very much this time, I guess that's sufficent?

Here's what their bowls look like

Looking online I learned that adding varnish would seal the pores of the wood and prevent the pipe from breathing. Now that sounds like a rather bad thing.

There are other ways to finish wood furniture; some ways include beeswax... one way include oils and acids such as 50-50 lemon juice and olive oil.
Well, I didn't have lemon or even vinegar, but decided to still try and polish them with a dremel polishing bit and olive oil.

Here's how it turned out after buffing then drying with a towel.

Other then waiting to ensure the alcohol has dissipated, do I have to do anything else prior to smoking any of them??
Those look great and it looks like you're having a good time.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Could it say made in france?

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-h1.html

Scroll down the page to the hall of fame pipes. To me it looks like the St. Claude Hall of Fall pipe.
I doubt.... pretty sure theres a eng in the made mark.

Plus the cut is different. Look at the shaft. I haven't found anything closer, though.

Also, pretty sure it would say "fait en France" or "fabriqué en France" ...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Just realized there's markings on it...

"Hall uf fame" in gothic letterings.

And "made " somewhere

I am tempted to say "made in england"
Don't look at the made in stamp look at the hall uf fame stamp. My pick is a tab blurry but to me it looks the same.