What's new

Nica Notes...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
this is a lot like the undercrown when it first came out; there was a feeding frenzy, and some people swore they were the great hope for the liga-challenged, and some people just couldn't get behind the blend. and, just like the undercrown, it is a damn decent regular production cigar, which should in due course be readily available to any who want them, at a very fair price. and personally i think that is a very good thing.

and, FWIW i like the blend, it's fun. it is not a wow blend, but i would gladly pack up a half dozen of these for my next nerd night, to share with the boys.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
My wonder is if there will be more sizes introduced in the future. If DE was truly serious about the Nica, they would either have plans to release more sizes or have more than just what they have out now. That being said, they are one of the only companies out there that could pull it off with just one size. IMO.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
My wonder is if there will be more sizes introduced in the future. If DE was truly serious about the Nica, they would either have plans to release more sizes or have more than just what they have out now. That being said, they are one of the only companies out there that could pull it off with just one size. IMO.
I was thinking the same thing Doug. I just hope they can keep up with the demand so that it doesn't go the way of the Unicos and become HTF (there is fun in the chase, but not forever) haha.

NicaNick

Nick~R~Agua
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saludos King Kill y todos ! Currently there is no production capacity for a line extension on Rustica. For this reason there is one size. We are making plans to make for more capacity by building a second floor over old tobacco storage bodega at the main production facility once we are moved into the new tobacco fermentation and sorting facility. Once we have more room then the Rustica line will most likely be extended. I am excited and have already been working on a number of blends which are currently aging - but nothing happens until we have more room.

The Rustica was never intended to be like liga privada or any other cigar - the only similarity is it uses a Broadleaf wrapper but from the middle primings of the broadleaf plant. It was intended to be a rustic blend and a tribute to Esteli.

Hope you all are enjoying your evening !

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Thanks for the good words and news Nick. Very cool to have it come right from the horse's mouth for sure. No ill will towards yourself or DE in my previous post as I'm a fan of the couple Nicas I have smoked so far. I think age will be kind to them and is the question I hear from others most. Thanks for the reply brother, glad to have you and your fine cigars here.
-KK33-

d-boy

Zach Emerson DeBoy
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
It's not that it isn't good but it ain't no damn 94 in my mind.

One of two things happened...
1. The pre-release was a different cigar.
2. Someone is smoking crack.

I'm sorry I'm a DE fan but wtf.. Its a good six dollar cigar and I will smoke more. Is it a 94? Haha haha Ahahahahaha!

Okay, I need to shut up now.

<3's HOSHY
I think the prerelease one was a lot better than the one out now. Maybe that's just because they smoked better fresher or it was totally different.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It's great to know that these will be around for a while, because I love the price point as well as the blend. Thanks for the insight Nick!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So after reading this thread I had to revisit this tonight. The first I had was kinda bleh, but it was straight off the truck the first day a b&m received it.

Tonight I had my second, which had a bit more rest in my own humi, and boy was it better. First third was very enjoyable with that nie broadleaf flavor & the last third was also good. Only the middle was kinda flat. Definitely looking forward to seeing how progresses over time. For the price point it is solid!

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure if that is fair. I've seen them drop some pretty schockingly low scores on sponsors as well. http://halfwheel.com/redux-davidoff-belicoso-supremo-limited-white-edition-2011/

I like this cigars as well, but none have come close to the prerelease I had which was awesome. I'm glad some of the Liga maniacs won't be buying up every stick they can see. Hopefully that equates to availability.
Wait... Halfwheel gave this a 94?
Yeah, my reaction was the same after I smoked a few.
http://halfwheel.com/review-nica-rustica-prerelease/
Also important to note that DE is a Halfwheel sponsor.

That being said, I really like it. I wasn't expecting Liga and for the price point I think it's damn good. Would really love a smaller size, though, robusto or corona gorda would be great.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Liga is a testament to marketing. These sticks have not been confirmed by anyone I know to be 94 worthy nor have any of you gents backed that up. The marketing and historical quality of Drew estate smokes has made these sell very well. I am a newb and maybe it is not my place to say this but I truly wonder what the outcome would be on here from tenured brothers if they did blind reviews on these. I have not tried a Nica yet but plan on giving one a shot soon enough.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
So what I have learned is that none of these Padron are as good as the Rustica...

Damn..... Just seems odd. Maybe I'm missing something though; Or maybe I'm over thinking it all.

Edit: I should add that everyone has a completely different palate though.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
So what I have learned is that none of these Padron are as good as the Rustica...

Damn..... Just seems odd. Maybe I'm missing something though; Or maybe I'm over thinking it all.

Edit: I should add that everyone has a completely different palate though.
Yes we do, and mine happens to love all things Padron!