What's new

Nicotine Content

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I'm curious to learn a bit more....

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Heres some info, not sure on validity:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/answers/answer.phtml?id=31

And inhaling cigar smoke is seriously dodgy, given that the tar content of a single cigar is two to three times greater than the average fag - and the nicotine content can be the equivalent of a whole pack.So if you're using stogies to give up ciggies, make a complete switch
http://www.costkids.org/tobacco/cigars/cigarfactsheet.htm
Are cigars addictive?
The tobacco industry claims that smoking cigars is not addictive. However, we know that nicotine is highly addictive and cigars contain nicotine. All tobacco products do! The level of nicotine content in a single large cigar may be greater than the level of a whole package of cigarettes. Nicotine in cigar smoke is primarily absorbed through the mouth. Just holding an unlit cigar in the mouth will allow nicotine in cigar juices to be absorbed through the lips, tongue, and gum.
However, I would think that this primarily applies to people who might inhale and that the 2nd source is just a scare tactic. I have yet to ever get a nicotine craving from a cigar. If it is true, I guess I haven't had enough nicotine over a short enough period to get hooked? :dunno:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have yet to get a nicotine craving as well. In fact I got back into the hobby only months ago after a year and a half break from it. Before that I smoked about a cigar a day....which is equal to a pack in these quotes. I don't believe in it. Maybe if you inhale it'd be a different story. I will never believe that cigars are addicting....therefore I guess I can't believe the nicotine content is very high/the nicotine content is hard to absorb w/o inhaling.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Buccal or transmucosal absorption of drugs is a fairly effective way to get a drug into the bloodstream. If you smoke cigars, then you are getting nicotine in your bloodstream. If nicotine is getting into your bloodstream on a regular basis, then there is a good probability that you will develop a physical dependance to the substance.

That being said, if I am going to have a vice, it will be cigars (and gambling to a certain degree). They are less harmful to you than cigarettes, chewing tobacco, or alcohol.

I would say that I am addicted to cigars, but I'll just tell myself that it is to their wonderful flavor, and the way they can increase my sense of well-being. I am also addicted to collecting them. Do I care - hell no. At least I can breathe, which was not the case when I was smoking cigarettes.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'm not addicted and feel no dependency towards them. Even when I was smoking 3-4 a week I never got a headache because I didn't have my fix.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Ah yes. Nicotine. In a past life I worked for Philip Morris in NY at 120 Park commonly know by activists as "the beast lair". Lovely stuff nicotine. More addictive than heroin according to some. Everyone got a carton a week..free. Wow what a deal.
I quit cigs years ago but do like my daily cigars. Know a few guys that inhale but can't see the reason. Get all I need through the sinuses.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
cvm4 said:
I'm not addicted and feel no dependency towards them. Even when I was smoking 3-4 a week I never got a headache because I didn't have my fix.
I challenge you not to smoke one for a year. LOL!!! JK, this what I tell those patients who tell me they are not addicted to this, that, or whatever.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea, I think that if you smoke at least once a week you are addicted... yes we smoke cigars because we like the flavor but there is also more to it...that itch for a cigar that you get, yea that is the nicotine

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Smoking is the easy part ... it's the thousands of dollars added to my credit cards each year that's the killer!

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
pharmgator said:
I challenge you not to smoke one for a year. LOL!!! JK, this what I tell those patients who tell me they are not addicted to this, that, or whatever.
I know science is science and all....

But like I said earlier I didn't smoke cigars for well over a year and never really minded much. I got back in because it's something I enjoy, not something I'm addicted to. Maybe that's me though, just my .02.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Not me. Its in the personality and genes. Its gotta be something. Might as well be cigars. Its definitely easier to drive home.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
pharmgator said:
I see your logic but this past winter I went about 6-8 weeks without smoking a cigar. It can be done and isn't addicting to me atleast :nono: :smokingme

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think they may have an addictive quality, but if need be I could give them up in a minute.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
IMHO, the only addicting quality to cigars is the surroundings. i.e. Sitting outside reflecting on the day or smoking while in company of others.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
cvm4 said:
IMHO, the only addicting quality to cigars is the surroundings. i.e. Sitting outside reflecting on the day or smoking while in company of others.

I can definitely agree with that. The experience is hard to duplicate.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
cvm4 said:
I tend to agree with you Cliff. I enjoy smoking. I can go weeks without smoking or smoke a bunch in a week. I like the atmosphere of the cigar shop, or hanging around bullshitting about cigars, the art of smoking them and all that goes along with them.