What's new

Nicotine Content

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Nicotine is addictive, the degree of which varies from person to person. This doesn't mean you can't quit, obviously, but the addictive properties of nicotine are extremely well documented.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Here is some definitive research from the fifties:

"WHY DO AMERICANS USE HAVANA TOBACCO?

Any attempts to attribute to the Havana tobacco any noxious characteristics might boomerang on the producers of U.S. cigars and cigarettes who do not remember or take into account the results of scientific tests which show the U.S. brands as having a higher nicotine, tar and furfurol content than Cuban brands.

But it is important to point out that Americans, although they are producers and exporters of tobacco on a large scale, have for many years been the principal buyers of Cuban tobacco which they use to improve the quality of their own tobacco products.

The United States buys, without a doubt, the largest quantities of Cuban tobacco leaf exported from the island and uses it in its own tobacco industry. And it's an old coincidence that after so many years of producing and smoking tobacco the United States should now come to suspect that tobacco is a principal cause of cancer.

It is true, of course, that when U.S. scientists mention cigarettes they are referring to those produced in the United States, and to the more popular brands among even these. This is shown by the Consumers Union statistics published in the union's bulletin (Volume 22, Number 3 of March 1957) and already produced by this magazine on a preceding page.
"

The entire article is here:
http://cuban-exile.com/doc_226-250/doc0234-70.html

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Nicotine concentration, smoke pH and whole tobacco aqueous pH of some cigar brands and types popular in the United States.

Henningfield JE, Fant RV, Radzius A, Frost S.

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.

The present study examined characteristics relating to nicotine delivery of 17 cigar brands, which included small cigars, cigarillos, and large premium cigar brands. The cigars selected for analysis were intended to represent the range of cigar products currently available and in popular use. In addition to cigar characteristics previously studied such as size, nicotine content, and pH of their tobacco, the present study examined smoke pH on a puff-by-puff basis. The tobacco content of the cigars ranged in weight from 0.53 to 21.5 g. There was considerable variation in total nicotine content, which ranged from 5.9 to 335.2 mg per cigar. The aqueous pH of the tobacco from the cigars also varied widely with values ranging from 5.7 to 7.8. The smoke pH values of the smallest cigars was generally acidic, changed little across puffs, and more closely resembled the profiles previously reported for typical cigarettes. Interestingly, the smoke pH of smaller cigars and cigarillos became acidic after the first third of the cigar was consumed and then remained acidic thereafter, whereas larger cigars became acidic during the first third, then became quite alkaline during the last third. Because of wide variations in nicotine content of the tobacco across brands and of similarly wide variations in smoke pH, cigar size is not an accurate predictor of the nicotine delivery capacity of a particular cigar brand, although, in general, larger cigars are capable of providing larger total nicotine delivery with extraordinarily high delivery levels being possible from many of the large premium cigars. These results demonstrated that the popular cigars in this study contained enough nicotine for the development of dependence when smoking as few as one or two of the larger cigars per day.

If someone would like a copy of the article, I can get it tomorrow at work. I work for the National Cancer Institute and have access to tons of literature on this subject. --Greg

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
JAMA -- Abstract: Health Risks Associated With Cigar Smoking, August 9, 2000, Baker et al. 284 This article summarizes principal findings from a conference convened by the American Cancer Society in June 1998 to examine the health risks of cigar smoking. The following conclusions were reached by consensus: (1) rates of cigar smoking are rising among both adults and adolescents; (2) smoking cigars instead of cigarettes does not reduce the risk of nicotine addiction;

The research is there and its ugly... The good news is most studys say that if you smoke two cigars or less per day your change in mortality quotient is minimal.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
CWS said:
JAMA -- Abstract: Health Risks Associated With Cigar Smoking, August 9, 2000, Baker et al. 284 This article summarizes principal findings from a conference convened by the American Cancer Society in June 1998 to examine the health risks of cigar smoking. The following conclusions were reached by consensus: (1) rates of cigar smoking are rising among both adults and adolescents; (2) smoking cigars instead of cigarettes does not reduce the risk of nicotine addiction;

The research is there and its ugly... The good news is most studys say that if you smoke two cigars or less per day your change in mortality quotient is minimal.

Two salamones sized cigars? If so, then I am I allowed like 8 petite coronas. :thumbsup:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Hey. The study said two. I'm not asking how big. Just because I went from smoking robustos to double corona's means nothing

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
tobby4 said:
Yea, I think that if you smoke at least once a week you are addicted... yes we smoke cigars because we like the flavor but there is also more to it...that itch for a cigar that you get, yea that is the nicotine
Eh, I don't agree with that. The "itch" I get is for the taste, not the nic. I do'nt smoke them very often at all in the winter so I know I'm not addicted to nicotine. Besides, I was addicted to cigarettes for ten years so I know what that feels like.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I personally don't think enough nicotine is introduced into my system by smoking cigars for me to become addicted to or dependant on nicotine.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
fredneck said:
If someone would like a copy of the article, I can get it tomorrow at work. I work for the National Cancer Institute and have access to tons of literature on this subject. --Greg
Do they know you smoke???

:grin:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
fredneck said:
Damn that's just hilarious in itself...Thanks for offering though