What's new

Nicotine sickness help?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Recently I have been getting the sickness more often than I would expect. Even on cigars that are supposed to not have any strength at all. I have done some research and have found a few tips but, wanted to get the BOTL input as well.

So here's what I found:
1. Less retrohaling
2. Drink water
3. Smoke on a full stomach
4. Eat sugar
5. Stand up every 5 minutes to determine dizziness.

Anything else I should try? I really enjoy this hobby and don't want it to be ruined by constant nicotine sickness.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The full stomach and water will ease a lot of that. The heat outside can play a big part as well and being in TN I am sure it is hot and humid right now. I usually keep a soda or sweet tea nearby to sip on while I smoke and the sugar of the beverage will usually kill it off pretty quick.

Other then what is listed I would smoke a little slower, give your body a chance to get some oxygen between puffs. Not sure you are smoking too fast but wanted to throw that out there.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's true you want to be hydrated, but I'd personally follow Brandon's above comment, combined with #3, & use #4 if it starts to get a little hairy. :lookaroun

BTW... You should start to build up a tolerance fairly quickly. I would think that a lot of new guys who see, go purchase, then smoke what a lot of guys smoke regularly here on BOTL, probably experience the same thing as you.:thumbsup:

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I would definitely make sure you've had something to eat...not necessarily a full stomach. And just like the others say, water, or even something with some sugar in it will help.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Yes, it does! Drink a root beer or a dr pepper while smoking. I've found that very much helps with the nic kick.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Another variable may be how much you are smoking. Is it one or two cigars per day or are you hitting it pretty heavily?

I think that slowing down between puffs (as previously mentioned) is a good idea also.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The sugar thing has helped me but it may just be mind over matter. I know it has helped most people I have talked to in the past but everyone reacts different. And the sugar thing is best when it starts not once you are hugging the porcelain god.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another variable may be how much you are smoking. Is it one or two cigars per day or are you hitting it pretty heavily?

I think that slowing down between puffs (as previously mentioned) is a good idea also.
I smoke one a day only. I do think I have been smoking too quickly though, maybe 3-4 puffs a minute.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0

OH...and be careful not to inhale on the retrohale. :wink:

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The sugar thing does work, but being hydrated and having something in your stomach are the two key things. Have you recently increased your smoking? going from 1 stick to 2 or more a day, or where you a 1 or 2 day a week and now smoking every day? these things can also cause nic sickness with light to med bodied sticks

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I smoke one a day only. I do think I have been smoking too quickly though, maybe 3-4 puffs a minute.
Yeah, 3-4 puffs a minute is pretty fast. I had this same issue. I found that I brought some of my old cigarette smoking habits to the table when I started smoking cigars. I try and keep it to 1 puff every 60-90 seconds. That also helps me to enjoy (and savor) the flavors of the cigar as well.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been smoking one a day since I started last month. I used to smoke cigarettes for 6 years (quit 3 years ago). I am probably inhaling more then I realize I guess.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I get it very easy also. I have a little better tolerance now but if I ever want a good bowl movement it is always as close as grabbing a full strength smoke. A nice big soda always helps and just smoke it nice and slow.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
That list is spot on.
As Hoshneer said, smoke slowly. I usually take at least 10 seconds on each draw...Keeps the cigar from overheating, and gives you more of an opportunity to thouroughly enjoy the flavor profile.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Being a former cig smoker, you're almost certainly inhaling more than you should, and I can pretty much guarantee you're smoking way too fast. Keep an eye on that, as it's likely your biggest issue. A puff a minute is really as fast as you should go. For the beverage/hydration deal, dude! You're in Tenessee! Sweet tea!

onibakushinka

Still Learning
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Unfortunately for me I have found that sugar under the tongue or even a soda does not help. But amazingly a candy bar like a snickers does wonders, especially right when I start feeling a little sick. NOt sure if its psychological or if its the act of putting something in my stomach that is a little more substantial. But sometimes the candy bar helps so much that I continue on to finish the smoke and feel absolutely fine.

As far as smoking cigarettes, a friend of mine that has been a pack a day man for many many years, just started smoking cigars. He said the way nicotine effects him is totally different when having a cigar. I am not sure if its psychological or just difference in the way it delivers into the body. Just thought I would throw that out there, from what I have read also the primary way nicotine is absorbed into the body with cigars is ingestion vs inhalation with cigarettes. So it might be that having been a former cigarette smoker will not save you from the Nic Sick.

Oh and hydration and not smoking on an empty stomach definitely matter a great deal. Also not sure how much it matters but taking a break for a day or maybe even three after a bad bout of the sickness seems to help reset my body.

Sorry from my ranting, just my two cents worth.

I hope you find something that works out well for you. Took me a while before I found the "combination" that worked well for me.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
actually, the nicotine absorption is through the lining of the mouth, and straight into the bloodstream, so it hits more like a moist snuff or loose leaf chew (sorry guys, bad association, but it's true). many people can suck down two packs of cigs, but get laid low by one lowly dip, much less a rich and complex cigar.

i swear by the sugar thing, and keep ginger ale on hand (plus it pairs well). also, i have been liking clint's "long slow draw" theory,but most importantly is SLOW DOWN. you can't really taste or feel food unless you chew properly, right? chew your smoke. seriously, play within, roll it around your mouth, make a chewing motion, think about it. it helps pacing immeasurably.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
like you, i was a cigarette smoker for a long time and got into cigars a few years after having quit cigarettes. I had tempo problems as well when I started, so I actually sat there with a watch and timed my draws for about ten or so cigars just to practice. That helped with the sickness and the flavor.

Everyone else's advice has been spot on.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Yup +1 on the slow down. I've found it really help me determine flavors in the cigars a lot more especially, I haven't really had issues with nic sick though thankfully, even though I inhale almost every puff on a cigar after having it sit on my palette for about 10 seconds. And also +1 on the sugar, really helps balance the nicotine in the blood levels. I keep a pack of sugar with me just in case I start getting a little swimmy.