What's new

No way....?!?!?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep it at 70% but I now keep it at 65%. If it gets hot in the summer, I blast the A/C, to hell with my electricity bill. My cigars come first![/QUOTE]

Humidity or Degrees?

This is my first beetle Read..(Newbie)...

saying to self....this is rather rare, and nothing to 'overly' concern self about.

I do not know the temp in my humidor, but it runs between 70-72 humidity...
I use the Humi Care Gel...keeps it stable...

Guess I am aware now of being more careful of receiveing cigars during the Summer months...A home freezer for 2-3 weeks is Suitable? Does this not damage the cigars....?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I used to keep it at 70% but I now keep it at 65%. If it gets hot in the summer, I blast the A/C, to hell with my electricity bill. My cigars come first!

[/QUOTE]Humidity or Degrees?

This is my first beetle Read..(Newbie)...

saying to self....this is rather rare, and nothing to 'overly' concern self about.

I do not know the temp in my humidor, but it runs between 70-72 humidity...
I use the Humi Care Gel...keeps it stable...

Guess I am aware now of being more careful of receiveing cigars during the Summer months...A home freezer for 2-3 weeks is Suitable? Does this not damage the cigars....?[/QUOTE]

you will want to do a bit more reseach on freezing cigars. Most home freezers do not get cold enough, to do what we want them to. I would also swap out your humi jel for some 65% heartfelt beads.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"65% heartfelt beads"

uhm,,,,Help ?

I am not a collector, I am a daily toker but nothing crazy in regards to and exclusive stock. I am not holding philly blunts mind you....

I do want them as protected as possible with as little maintenance as possible...that was the thought behind the humicare gel..

soo,,,beads?

Last edited:

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Well I am not an expert but I do think I know a little bit and I would bet EVERYTHING that it is not possible to taste if a cigar has been freezed. I started with this method after a couple of botl here that has been smoking and storaging ccs for over 40 years told me to. And they have boxes that is 40 years old and have been frozen! I put the cigars in zip lock bags (NOT the 5 finger zips because it is almost impossible to suck out the air from it) and with a straw suck out all the air I can, one day in the fridge, 3 in the freezer and one in the frige again! Not one cigar has been damaged and I have frozen thousands of cigars! When I buy a box I put in the hole box. But the box will rest in the fridge 2 days after the freezer!

Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Just an FYI, there are a number of overseas vendors that freeze every box they receive before putting the them in their own warehouses. I have tried cigars from different boxes with the same box code where one was frozen and the other was not and I could not tell any difference. I may not have the best palette, but I don't have the palette of a billy goat either. Bottom line is, do whatever you feel necessary and comfortable with to keep your cigars safe.
i am aware of this process and it's not always the taste i'm concerned about. i will agree with you that if done properly that one might never tell the difference in taste alone. but assuming we all have the proper equipment to freeze ever cigar we get properly isn't something i wanted to do either. and i couldn't agree more with you that we all need to do what we feel is necessary to keep our cigars at optimum conditions...some freeze and some do not, i won't say i've never done it but it's just not in my plan of attack.

I started with this method after a couple of botl here that has been smoking and storing ccs for over 40 years told me to
i'm not saying it can't be done but i'm aware personally of cigars that have lasted well over 40yrs without freezing...the 40yr thing holds no substance as it's just a procedure someone has adopted over the last 40yrs.

also, i'm happy you've had great success with this ben, there is nothing wrong with a method that works for you. whatever one does to keep things right for themselves is alright with me.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Gotta wonder if they will be coming out with video surveillance and fumigation for our humidors? It's bad enough I gotta watch the evening news where they are trying to scare the bejeebers out of me now they are coming after my cigars with threats of laying traps for beetles? Imagine how tasty they will be once you trap a few of the critters on it and don't open your humi for a few days. Oh the humanity!
I'm working on it... Shouldn't be too hard to integrate a beatle sensor into the wihygro.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
One prob with these traps. There pheramone(sp) activated. Yeah let's put something in your cabinet that will attract beatles into the humi as well.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I won't be buying one. I don't like the line where they say something like "We aren't sure if the trap makes the beetles burrow out of the cigars"
This was my only concern with these as well. I am not certain that larva have pheromone receptors, but it "could" happen I guess.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I use the freeze method for all packages I receive. I've never had an issue. I also use a wineadore.