What's new

Noob Cigar Selection Confusion

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been at this only about two weeks and have smoked only six different cigars (2-3 of each). All of these would fall into the mild category.

Thus far, I am unable to declare that I am making much progress toward finding my preferred taste profile. None of these smokes drove me to heights of joy. Only one did I throw away while smoking. A couple tasted OK but I have not yet repurchased. All my buys have been singles except for one fiver.

I have read all of the "noob guides" here and elsewhere. I have purchased sticks that some said were good starter smokes (others said they were garbage).

I am told to disregard number ratings and take reviews with a grain of salt. I am told high price does not necessarily a great smoke make. I find conflicting opinions on most every smoke on which I read reviews. And, if I am to simply sample as many cigars as I can until I drill down to some favorites, I could run out of years before I get it accomplished (I am 69). I do not mind the quest; there is fun in that.

But, I guess I am asking if there is a more systematic process I ought be following. Up to now, I buy two or three of something, smoke, jot down notes and decide if I would or would not buy again. Then I buy a few more and do the same. I am not blessed with knowledgeable or helpful folk at my little BM, now wide selection.

Probably no one way to find nirvana quickly, but am I doing this as I should?

PS - I do have a gift sampler coming from a gracious BOTL and I have signed up for the noobie trade.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
You got it...keep buying sticks on the cheap and as you start to find ones you like, post them up on here and some guys will give you proper direction of you're looking to up your game and make some more expensive purchases of some higher quality sticks. I recommend only buying one cigar of a particular brand to see of the flavor fits your liking...buying 3 of something that you find out sucks...well...sucks. Buy one at a time.

And what have you smoked and liked this far?

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Sounds like you're on the right path to me. Not something you can really rush imho. I will say just because you're new to the hobby, don't shy away from trying more full bodied sticks. Conventional wisdom says new smokers should start with mild-medium (which I do enjoy from time to time), but I personally enjoyed stronger cigars right out the gate. Welcome to the journey brother!

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do not mind the quest; there is fun in that.
IMO you pretty much answered your own question with this statement. There are too many different brands, styles, sizes etc to try them all, so sample what you can and enjoy the experience.

No one can tell you which smokes you prefer, except yourself. Add to it, that your tastes will change over time also, so what you like today, you may not like 6 months from now. Along the way, you will find certain brands, or certain blends that will be consistently favorable. I would suggest, until then, only buy fivers or less of any of the sticks you would like to try.

Enjoy the trip!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just stick to 5ers and see what u like . At 1st to me all cigars tasted the same even now 2/3 years later some still do .

Smoking is your own personal thing there's no wrong or right cigar it's what YOU like !
There's a good app I use called cigar boss for iPhone that you can do as u already are eg list your cigars review cigars find local B&Ms see other reviews etc.

When I started on jumped onto every website I could and read read read I then brought random 5ers and some I made purely going by the look of the cigar and or their logo.

Once you go through enough you'll narrow down your palate .

Also try cigars from different countries etc Cameroon USA Nicaragua Cuba Vietnam lol there all different

And stay on here I'm in Australia and this forum is by far the best only one I use these days

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Follow your own tastes....everything else is just an opinion based on what they like and since you don't share wives, bank accounts, homes, etc. just smoke what appeals to you. Sometimes taking others advice makes one doubt their own values....your tongue....your taste and sit back and relax. It will all come to you.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Brother, you're doing just fine. Don't be in too much of a rush to find your favorite smokes, it will happen with time. It truly doesn't matter what everyone here is smoking, what matters is what YOU like. Some people think 'X' cigar is a dog rocket but you may love it. It's all about preference. Me personally I found that I really enjoy cigars from Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic although some people will swear by Honduras, etc. Taking reviews and other peoples opinions with a grain of salt is solid advice. I also stopped trying to get caught up in finding the different favors described by reviewers and decided just to enjoy the cigar for what it is. Opinions are like ***holes but the only one that matters is yours when it comes to the cigars you smoke. I usually buy at least two of each cigar if I have never smoked that particular brand because if I like it I have another one on hand. Just remember, even though you may not be blessed with knowledge or a helpful B&M you always will have BOTL.

James. :cbig:

:welcome:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My smokes thus far:

A. Fuentes Curley Head - quite smokable
Don Rafael Vintage 2004 - tasted like dry straw to me
Gispert - good
Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne - ok
Baccarat Lunchadores - decent
Nub Conneticut - liked best of the above

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Cigar Monster. Great place to try sticks. Fivers galore. Watch the forums and listen to what people like. Everyone is different. Then go find the sticks on the cheap in a fiver. Find a buddy. Buy fivers together and split. The more you try the more you will find what you like. AND THEN IT WILL CHANGE! Have fun

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
My smokes thus far:

Gispert - good
OK Nub Connecticut. An Oliva cigar. Check out other Oliva cigars

Famous has a special 14 Olvia cigars for $34

http://www.famous-smoke.com/oliva+14+cigar+compilation+cigars/item+41220
Solid advice!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I know I sound like a Famous hack but I love Cigar Monster lately and the mash up. I picked up some unbelievable deals on my regular sticks plus a five or two of new ones to try. and with the 15% BOTL discount really cant beat the price.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My smokes thus far:

Gispert - good
Other than the Nub and Perdomo, those are all pretty low budget smokes. Since you liked the cheapest Fuente okay, I'd suggest you try their better stuff. In fact, the Hemingway Short Story just may be that shortcut to nirvana you've been looking for!

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
My smokes thus far:

Gispert - good
Other than the Nub and Perdomo, those are all pretty low budget smokes. Since you liked the cheapest Fuente okay, I'd suggest you try their better stuff. In fact, the Hemingway Short Story just may be that shortcut to nirvana you've been looking for!
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'd Try some of the mid level fuente and oliva stuff abs go from there. I'll dig around in the humidor. I mostly smoke fuller bodied stuff but I might have a few I can send you

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Try other offerings from companies you've had success with, but also try other cigars with the same type of wrapper. If you liked the Nub Connecticut, try the E.P. Carrillo New Wave Connecticut. Maybe you'll find a correlation.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Im a noob to the site but have been smoking for a while. I remember when I was a kid this guy would come over (friend of my parents) and he smoked stogies. I HATED it when he would come over. The whole house would stink up. I still remember, he smoked Macanudos that came in silver tubes. I swore I would never smoke.
The in about my late 20s I picked up a few sticks and was less than impressed or satisfied but I did love the aroma of a tobacco shop so I would keep going into them. I was on a business trip and walked into a shop next to the bar my group was in. The tobacconist was asking me questions like "what do you eat" "what flavors do you like""what smells do you like" and through this old dude was nuts and kind of annoying. He picked three stick from the shelves and handed them to me. He said "try these and come back and let me know what you think". a few days later I went in and he said ok, handed me a couple more and said "lemme know what you think of these". The first three were free, the others he charged me for. Thats when I found my stick of choice and what I have compared every cigar to ever since.
I doubt there are many true tobacconists like that guy out there but your notes are your guide to the right stick. Keep taking notes and ask your shop to recommend a cigar with similar qualities. Then rinse and repeat. Try different shops and read reviews. I agree, take them with a grain of salt BUT at some point your going to find a reviewer that has similar tastes or exact opposite tastes. At that point follow that persons reviews to get an idea of what you might like.
Do yourself a favor, don't ever rule out a budget some as a crap smoke. I did that in the beginning and now I feel I may have missed out on some good cigars. I recently smoked a Bahia Blu and was shocked at how good it was for its price point. Then I called myself all kinds of names for thinking like that and ordered a bundle. :)

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I've been smoking cigars for a couple of years now and still haven't found that "perfect" smoke. There are several that I smoke more than once, but the enjoyment I get is trying to find that perfect smoke.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just started smoking cigars regularly this past spring, & still have tons to try & tons to learn.

I came here thinking price = better cigars, & those damn ratings were the definitive guide.... I was mistaken! Try everything you can. If you like it, but a few more to re try again down the road.

I still don't have a refined pallette, but Oliva's and Undercrowns have yet to disappoint & won't break the bank.

I hesitate to utter it, but have you looked at the "devil site" yet? You can get many good deals on there (and other sites) if patient.

From one newb to another, welcome! Trying all the different cigars is what makes this fun!