• Yes

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you handle your stogies alot, leave them on.

If not, take them off, the cello may prevent the humidity from entering the cigar.

Just my 2 cents!:razz:

Jeff

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
A boy finds a bird and decides to play a trick on an old monk who lives at the edge of town. He holds the bird behind him and says to himself, I will ask the old man if it is alive or dead. If the old man says its dead, I will let it fly away he thinks. And if he says it alive I will crush it and show hime the dead bird. As he approaches the old man, he asks the question; "Old man. I hold a bird in my hands...is it alive or dead"? The wise old man turns to the young boy and says, "As you wish my son, as you wish." Same answer to your question.
I have this image of a Zen-Master Chuck, placidly puffing away as he levitates and ponders the mysteries of the cigar world! :yes:

Oh yeah, leave it on.

Dub

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. two to one on leaving the cellos on. Thanks for the input, like i said I'm really new to this primo cigar business. BTW, does that apply to the Swisher Sweet's also????? <jk> :smokingme

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The cello is not airtight and will not hinder humidity getting to the cigars at all.

Q. Many cigars are sold in individual cellophane overwraps. Should I remove the cellophane prior to placing the cigars in my humidor? What about tubes and bands? Are cigars best stored "naked"?

A. Cellophane serves several purposes on a cigar -- in states that require each cigar to have a warning label, it makes this notification much easier to accomplish, and it prevents damage to the cigars from excessive handling in cigar shops. But once you've bought the cigar and are placing it in your humidor, we recommend you remove the cellophane. Cellophane will prevent humidity from reaching the cigar, and you'll find the cigars will respond to humidification better if the overwrap has been removed. The same holds true for cigar tubes, whether glass or aluminum; these tubes will completely close off a cigar to humidification if left on. However, if you intend to transport your cigars \(such as in a coat pocket\), it may be a good idea to keep a few tubes or cellophane overwraps handy to protect the cigars during transport.

As far as bands are concerned, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to remove them, but when possible, we generally choose to keep the bands on \(outside of our tasting procedures, of course\). First, it makes identifying the cigars much easier, and it also prevents inadvertent damage to the cigar's wrapper that can occur while removing the band.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Graphics/SpecialFeature/Cigar101/top10faq.html

Just repeating what I have read elsewhere.

I have cigars with and without cello. I'll be taking my cello off the remaining cigars.

Jeff:wink:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Q. Many cigars are sold in individual cellophane overwraps. Should I remove the cellophane prior to placing the cigars in my humidor? What about tubes and bands? Are cigars best stored "naked"?

A. Cellophane serves several purposes on a cigar -- in states that require each cigar to have a warning label, it makes this notification much easier to accomplish, and it prevents damage to the cigars from excessive handling in cigar shops. But once you've bought the cigar and are placing it in your humidor, we recommend you remove the cellophane. Cellophane will prevent humidity from reaching the cigar, and you'll find the cigars will respond to humidification better if the overwrap has been removed. The same holds true for cigar tubes, whether glass or aluminum; these tubes will completely close off a cigar to humidification if left on. ????????
However, if you intend to transport your cigars (such as in a coat pocket), it may be a good idea to keep a few tubes or cellophane overwraps handy to protect the cigars during transport.

As far as bands are concerned, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to remove them, but when possible, we generally choose to keep the bands on (outside of our tasting procedures, of course). First, it makes identifying the cigars much easier, and it also prevents inadvertent damage to the cigar's wrapper that can occur while removing the band.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Graphics/SpecialFeature/Cigar101/top10faq.html

Just repeating what I have read elsewhere.

I have cigars with and without cello. I'll be taking my cello off the remaining cigars.

Jeff:wink:
This is not meant to come across as condescending, but it probably will. I'm repeating my personal experiences from years of smoking cigars.

Obviously, a cigar will get more humidity if not in a tubo or in cello. So from a humidification standpoint, yes a cigar will receive humidification more quickly if not in cello or a tubo. That does not necessarily mean it is getting BETTER humidification. If the cigar is in cello (I'll just say in cello instead of both tubos and cello) are properly humidified I would argue it is advantageous. For one thing, the author argues that the humidity reaches the cigar faster without cello. But then if there is a problem with the humidification, it would then stand to reason that it leaves the cigar faster also. So enclosure in cello would be a stabilizing factor for short term fluctuations in humidification. Second, the cello helps to keep the flavors in the cigar just like the box does when we store cigars in boxes. For example, when you open a box of cigars for the first time and you get that smell that we all love, it is because the smell was "boxed in" and released when opened, which is why it quickly dissipates. The same idea goes for cigars in cello. More of the flavors and aromas are kept inside and part of the cigar. One of the statements that I actually agree with is that they are also given a measure of protection from damage due to handling with cello. Especially if you store cigars loose in a desktop, chances are you are going to damage some of your cigars from handling them just by trying to fish out what cigar you want to smoke.

I think the most of the statements you quote above are ridiculous. I'm not saying you are ridiculous, just those statements. To state that a tubo effectively creates an air tight environment is wrong. If that were the case, after a year the cigar would be rendered unsmokable. I have recently smoked some of my cigars from the 70's and 80's that have been stored in tubos and cello. They were sublime smokes, absolute masterpieces. That would not be possible at all if the tubo created an air tight environment. So with all due respect to whoever wrote it, they couldn't be more wrong.

Conversely, if a cigar doesn't come in cello I don't look to put it in a tube, unless it is a very special cigar that I want to hold onto and smoke somewhere down the line. I have some plastic tubes, like test tubes almost, that I have some rare cigars that I want to keep extra safe. I have done this for awhile and have not encountered any problems with them being improperly humidified. Neither have the people that I have gifted or bombed some of those rare cigars. But when a box is getting low and I need room in my humi, I'll take some of those and put them naked in one of the singles drawers. Those then become the cigars I put in my smoking rotation for immediate consumption.

Off this topic, but related to the quote you made, while I understand their argument for not taking off the band (not wanting to damage the cigar) there are some parts of the world that find it very rude and in poor taste to leave the band on while smoking. But since many companies are catering to the American market, and we seem more status driven than other people in the world, they make fancier and fancier bands to catch the eye and therefore make the sale to a novice smoker who may want to try something but is unsure of what to buy. "Hey, that looks like it might be a really good cigar. Sure has a great looking band!" Just look at the Opus X bands, how flashy they are. So it is all a persons opinion about whether or not to leave a band on. I personally have been taking bands off when in public because I don't want any people questioning me about what I'm smoking. When I'm at home or amongst friends I don't because I don't care to be bothered with it.

In the end, do whatever you feel is right I guess. I just hate whenever I read these statements that just make no sense. And it's just another example of why I haven't read Cigar Aficionado in years.

preembargo

Support the fight! OpFTH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a matter of personal preference.

quoted from Cigar.com

Cigar.com said:
Leaving the Cellophane On:

Contrary to popular belief, humidity will reach your cigars when you leave the cello on. The plastic used by cigar manufacturers is permeable, enabling a certain level of moisture and air to circulate in and out of the protective cover. Otherwise, a micro-climate would be created inside the cellophane, and the cigars would be more susceptible to mold. Since humidity will reach your cigars with or without the cellophane, there are many reasons to leave it on.

Protection From Other Cigars: Tobacco gets its flavor and characteristics from oils that escape from the leaf and remain on the surface. The oils from the various tobacco leaves inside the cigar meld and marry with each other to create balance and give each blend a unique profile. Storing different brands without cellophane right next to one another can produce the same marrying effect on a much larger scale. The result is that over time, many of the various brands will start to change and take on one uniform taste.

Protection From You: The oils that form on each of your cigars are also at risk from over-handling. Every time you pick up a cigar and come into direct contact with the tobacco, the oils rub off on your skin. Once lost, these oils can take a great deal of time to replenish, and will affect the overall smoking experience when the time comes to enjoy your cigar.

Protection From the Elements: As you can see, cigars that have been removed from their cellophane are at higher of losing both flavor and aroma. However, aside from these changes, cellophane also protects against physical damage that can occur when moving your cigars from place to place or dropping them in your pocket as you head out for the night. After tobacco ferments, it becomes much less pliable, and it takes very little to tear or damage the delicate wrapper. Any damage changes the way a cigar burns, resulting in a dramatically altered taste.

Taking the Cellophane Off:

At this point, you are probably asking yourself, "Why would anyone ever want to take the cellophane off their cigars before storing them?" Well, the cellophane can actually inhibit the aging of your favorite smokes.

Aging: Once rolled, cigars complete their final fermentation in aging rooms, then are boxed and shipped to retail stores around the world. Next, the cigars begin the first of as many as three maturation periods that are characterized by the breaking down of tannins and the marrying of oils. During these stages, the cigar settles into a more refined taste. Depending on the tobacco used to make the cigar, this process can take as long as 50 years. However, if cigars are kept in cellophane, this process is slowed by as much as 60 percent. Additionally, after several years in cellophane, the emitting oils and by-products of the maturation can make the cellophane less breathable, and your cigars will be susceptible to mold.

Maintaining Steady Humidity: While cellophane is breathable, it is not ideal for maintaining the best possible climate for your cigars when they enter your humidor. Once a cigar levels out at a constant humidity, the tobacco absorbs and releases moisture in an effort to maintain equilibrium and consistency in your humidor. This can be more difficult with an added layer of cellophane encasing your sticks.

Tradition: Cellophane is relatively new to cigars, as it was first introduced by JC Newman (makers of Diamond Crown and Cuesta Rey) in the 1930’s. Prior to that time, only a small handful of cigars came in packaging, which ranged from foil to tissue paper. In fact, to this day, no hand-rolled premiums are imported from Cuba in protective cellophane.

Which method is right for you? In the end, it all depends on what type of cigar smoker you consider yourself to be. If you anticipate traveling and handling your cigars to some degree, then you should keep your cigars in cellophane. However, if you intend on aging a limited variety of brands for an extended period of time and want them at their best, it is smarter to remove the cellophane before storing them. Nevertheless, keep in mind that aging requires patience and organization because the cigars should not be over-handled and must be separated to avoid cross-marrying of the different blends in your collection.

This does not necessarily have to be a black and white issue. Many aficionados will buy a box of cigars and store half of them "naked" for aging, and keep the remainder in cellophane for added protection. Just keep in mind that regardless of your preference, each method has its advantages.
Ultimately, it's your choice.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is not meant to come across as condescending, but it probably will. I'm repeating my personal experiences from years of smoking cigars.

Obviously, a cigar will get more humidity if not in a tubo or in cello. So from a humidification standpoint, yes a cigar will receive humidification more quickly if not in cello or a tubo.
Agreed.

the author argues…
If you follow the hyperlink on the bottom of the Q and A, you will see that it was cut and paste from Cigar Aficionado. I did not make an argument, just merely posted what others had written.

I think the most of the statements you quote above are ridiculous. I'm not saying you are ridiculous, just those statements.
Obviously you know more than the staff writers at Cigar Aficionado.

I personally have been taking bands off when in public because I don't want any people questioning me about what I'm smoking. When I'm at home or amongst friends I don't because I don't care to be bothered with it.
That is your preference. Personally, I leave them on until the heat from the cigar loosens the glue/band and then I remove it to smoke it further. I leave the band on whether I am out with friends or all alone at the house.

But to take them off because you don’t want people to question you about what you’re smoking is kind of funny. I’ll keep my comments to myself.

In the end, do whatever you feel is right I guess.
I will.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

Jeff:grin:

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm in the same camp as many others...if they came that way, leave them alone. It makes it safer to handle them and ship with no damage.

and taking ANYTHING as gospel from Cigar Afficianado is like asking me about Nuclear Fusion...absolutely a waste of your time.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
and taking ANYTHING as gospel from Cigar Afficianado is like asking me about Nuclear Fusion...absolutely a waste of your time.
I find, that most journalists are 1st a journalist and 2nd experienced in what they are writting about. After reading several issues of Ca and finding so many things that contradict each other, I turned to the internet to find my info from people with cigar smoking and storing experience. I equate this to watching the news and a reporter, who has never even been in the ocean is interveiwing a surfer and giving comentary on the current surf conditions. But we all know that good grades and good interveiwing skills will get you a job you may not be qualified for. For me, I get my info from the BBs

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I was peacefully meditating with my favorite cigar. Smoke spiraling towards the heavens, aroma filling my senses, and all seemed right with the world. Suddenly, I felt a rift in the force.

There is no correct answer guys. Quotes can be found from good and iffy sources on both sides of the question. Do what you wish. The important thing is to enjoy the cigar and share the experience of that smoke with others.

Now....where is that damn yellowbook?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just store some with cello on and some with it off. Then smoke a few and see which you like best or if there is any difference at all...

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
the author argues
If you follow the hyperlink on the bottom of the Q and A, you will see that it was cut and paste from Cigar Aficionado. I did not make an argument, just merely posted what others had written.

Which is why I stated the author and not "you".

Obviously you know more than the staff writers at Cigar Aficionado.

I do not proclaim to be all knowing about cigars. I do however feel confident in my knowledge that I can argue a point that I totally disagree with based on my experience smoking cigars. Do you believe everything you read?

But to take them off because you don’t want people to question you about what you’re smoking is kind of funny. I’ll keep my comments to myself.

In reality, you didn't keep your comments to yourself since you stated it's kind of funny so I'll address it. I personally would never do this, but I have known of people that have smoked cigars from Cuba. This is illegal in the US and some people might not want to advertise that they are breaking the law. Again, I would never do this however as it is against the law.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

A statement we can agree upon!

Jeff:grin:
I think you misunderstood part of my post. I was not attacking you personally, I was attacking the statement you quoted. I thought I stated adequatley that I was not attacking you personally. If I offended you, I apologize. I have made the determination that the pros of keeping cello on and cigars in tubos far outweigh the cons. If you have come to a different conclusion, good for you. If that is what makes you enjoy your cigars more, go for it.