What's new

Not Good...FDA ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
SILVER LINING:

IPCPR is going to be VERRRRRY interesting. Companies that have been sitting on secret new lines will have to start to release them in 90 days! That means we will get a look behind the curtain at EVERY cigar maker's secret underground lair, all at once.

Hello, several new Tat monsters?
Hello, the next few years' Las Calaveras blends?
Hello Warped Black Honey 2.0?

Muhuhuhuhuhahahahahaaaaaaaa!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
SILVER LINING:

IPCPR is going to be VERRRRRY interesting. Companies that have been sitting on secret new lines will have to start to release them in 90 days! That means we will get a look behind the curtain at EVERY cigar maker's secret underground lair, all at once.

Hello, several new Tat monsters?
Hello, the next few years' Las Calaveras blends?
Hello Warped Black Honey 2.0?

Muhuhuhuhuhahahahahaaaaaaaa!
I'm so bummed. I was all set to go this year until I found out it was the same week as our family reunion. I'm guessing future years won't look nearly the same. Gaaahhh.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is that what you're thinking? F-ing A, man. This is gonna really ugly.
No, that's called hyperbole. Even if nobody attempts to register a post 2007 line, there are many more manufacturers than just Altadis and General Cigar that have been around prior to and would have current lines that qualify under the pre-2007 criteria and are large enough to not sell themselves to one of the conglomerates. The landscape will change though, I am optimistic that this will be amended or changed in some way to the benefit of premium cigars.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am optimistic that this will be amended or changed in some way to the benefit of premium cigars.
I was just reading an article about the craft beer industry. The big corporate producers tried to use their political power to enforce tough regulations on small brewers. But the craft industry adjusted and is now thriving. I hope the same is the case here.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
No, that's called hyperbole. Even if nobody attempts to register a post 2007 line, there are many more manufacturers than just Altadis and General Cigar that have been around prior to and would have current lines that qualify under the pre-2007 criteria and are large enough to not sell themselves to one of the conglomerates. The landscape will change though, I am optimistic that this will be amended or changed in some way to the benefit of premium cigars.
Not hyperbole at all. I absolutely believe that if the FDA regs move forward as they are and if one of the proposed tax bills gets passed because of the president that the FDA ruling has set then there will be no more "small batch" cigars and very few if any "mom and pop" cigar shops. Now that it IF this all goes through in that fashion. That is how serious this is to the industry and to cigar loving Americans. If it isn't taken this way then it will most certainly be the end of the cigar industry as we know it and choices will become very limited and far more expensive.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
There's a lot of this Chicken Little, the sky is falling, talk going around. This is only one step in a long process. The FDA is not going after businesses, and if it can be demonstrated that the proposed regulations are going to harm businesses that provide a product to adult consumers, that will change the regulations.

This isn't the end of anything. We don't even know many of the specifics yet. Let's wait a while before we sound the air horns.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if if doesn't happen. This is a great wake up call to get involved if you aren't already. That's the only silver lining I see.
I agree. Let's trade the torches and pitchforks for meaningful contact and resolution. There are no demons here, other than ignorance.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not that I place a ton of credit in Brian Glynn, he does certainly seem shaken up here:

But I wholeheartedly agree with @Senor Perfecto. There is still time to reverse this thing. A good start would be to write your local Congressional representative because the House can amend these regulations. This is clearly an overreach by the FDA. They cannot throw 'Premium Cigars' under the same blanket regulations and legislation as E-cigarettes, vapes, and machine-rolled flavored cigars.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Not that I place a ton of credit in Brian Glynn, he does certainly seem shaken up here:

But I wholeheartedly agree with @Senor Perfecto. There is still time to reverse this thing. A good start would be to write your local Congressional representative because the House can amend these regulations. This is clearly an overreach by the FDA. They cannot throw 'Premium Cigars' under the same blanket regulations and legislation as E-cigarettes, vapes, and machine-rolled flavored cigars.
I listened to 30 seconds and turned it off. He's a Chicken Little through and through. That's a guy who reviews no-name sticks and then gets pissed off when someone suggests that he concentrate on stuff that people actually smoke. For a guy with as much industry exposure as he has (mostly among newbies), he knows very little about cigars and the industry, and his palate is shit. Whatever, Bryan. The sky isn't falling and today is not Embargo 2. Lol.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Status
Not open for further replies.