What's new

Not Good...FDA ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So there is a silver lining to this thing, according to Two Guys of Cigar Authority.

"The question that remains can the August 8, 2016 date change and the answer is yes as it is expected that the cigar industry will file lawsuits to delay the new ruling, and hopefully change the ruling while preventing the changing of an industry that has long been a part of American culture. Also, as we reported on in the past, the House is currently reviewing FY17 which would provide an exemption for premium cigars and/or change the predicate date from 2007 to May 10, 2016. If the language remains in the bill it would be a major win for cigar manufacturers, retailers and consumers."

Here is the full 499 page FDA report https://www.scribd.com/doc/311598778/FDA-Regulations
Thanks for posting this.

Would this mean that new blends after 5/10/16 would still need to pay a fee for it to be "approved" by the idiots at the FDA?

Still, moving it to 5/10/16 would be a MAJOR positive. That 2007 date is so whack

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Would this mean that new blends after 5/10/16 would still need to pay a fee for it to be "approved" by the idiots at the FDA?
It means that all blends/brands before 5/10/16 would be exempt from new regulations, and all blends/brands after 5/10/16 would be subject to guidelines and approval process. Yes, Jim, it would be a huge victory/concession for our side. It still amazes me how dumb these idiots on the Hill are!!! Sen. Richard Blumenthal introduced this bill. He's a Harvard Law graduate and former Attorney General for the State of Connecticut. In my opinion, he's a real piece of s--t. I've already sent him a hand-written letter with a few choice words. In the following video, Abe Dababneh, the owner of Smokeinn.com, talks with Bryan Glynn about the new regulations. He is very informative. Start at 37:34.

Addendum: I might add here, Jim, that as far as I can tell, this thing is far from over. Yes, the legislation is law and the regulations go into effect August 10, 2016. However, all current brands/blends on market post February 15, 2007 will have to apply for approval within 2 years, August 10, 2018. If the FDA cannot put in place a regulatory system for approval, i.e. inspections, fees, etc., then the industry will most certainly sue and most likely win. This hopefully will force FDA to 'carve out' an exception for premium cigars in the legislation, or face many lawsuits from big cigar makers.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BOTL - The cigar industry is NOT DEAD. We are looking at "regulation"--not "prohibition."

Will there be changes to come? YES. Will you be able to walk into a tobacconist and purchase/smoke a cigar? YES. Will we need to adapt to the changes to come? YES. Will we manage to thrive? YES.

Is Crowned Heads going anywhere? NO!

Cheers.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
projected cost for the FDA to review each type of cigar submitted to them is at least several hundred thousand. If this passes as is, you are not going to thrive.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It means that all blends/brands before 5/10/16 would be exempt from new regulations, and all blends/brands after 5/10/16 would be subject to guidelines and approval process. Yes, Jim, it would be a huge victory/concession for our side. It still amazes me how dumb these idiots on the Hill are!!! Sen. Richard Blumenthal introduced this bill. He's a Harvard Law graduate and former Attorney General for the State of Connecticut. In my opinion, he's a real piece of s--t. I've already sent him a hand-written letter with a few choice words. In the following video, Abe Dababneh, the owner of Smokeinn.com, talks with Bryan Glynn about the new regulations. He is very informative. Start at 37:34.

what a lousy piece of shit. I hate politicians man. He didn't just think that up. Someone is in his pocket. They should murder people who take money as bribes. Only way this country will get back to democracy and not big corporations running shit.

America is becoming one big fucking joke.

They take 33% out of every one of my checks. My wife just went to the doctor for a checkup, co pay is SIXTY DOLLARS. Plus the 300 each month they deduct from her check. Groceries have basically doubled in the past 10 years. And here we are, regulating the one god damn thing that helps people cool off after a day of being raped in the asshole by uncle sam and the insurance companies.

I swear if I want to see a revolution sooner than later. I'd even participate.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
projected cost for the FDA to review each type of cigar submitted to them is at least several hundred thousand. If this passes as is, you are not going to thrive.
But he can sue the FDA, and I'm sure the two Senators in Tennessee, the House Representatives, and others do not wish to say goodbye to Mr. Huber's sizable contribution to state tax coffers. Lol. The FDA has lost it's last 5 lawsuits recently. 0-5! In fact, the whole industry will sue the FDA and win most likely.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
He didn't just think that up. Someone is in his pocket. They should murder people who take money as bribes. Only way this country will get back to democracy and not big corporations running shit.
You know, Jim, I've been scouring the internet trying to wrap my brain around this. Ultimately, I think it comes down to money. The fees for the approval process will cost cigar makers $250,000-$300,000 per blend/vitola!!! That is an immense amount of revenue the government feels it deserves from this industry. Those fees will, in essence, completely bankrupt the smaller cigar makers. So whatever taxes the small cigar makers paid to the Federal Government are lost, and they don't get the approval fees either. So it's lose/lose for the Fed either way. And that's what I still can't understand.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Everybody needs to:

1) Go to cigarrights.org which is the Cigar Rights of America website.

2) Click on "Take Action", there is a template to send emails to the elected officials in your area.

3) Tell every cigar smoker you know to do the same.

4) Call or email your local B&M to tell every customer that walks in the door to do the same.

We need to beat this or our lifestyle will be forever changed for the worst. Once you let your rights be taken away it is very hard to get them back. The time is NOW to get this changed, once the legislation sets in and is being implemented it will be extremely hard to overturn.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
This ruling is not designed to regulate, it is designed to destroy.
Guys. Calm down a tad.

This legislation was not designed to destroy the cigar industry. In fact, the whole reason any of us are posting about this is because it was not *designed* to do anything to the cigar industry at all.

It was designed to try to put an end to children smoking tobacco, and especially to children vaping. That's a real problem in this country, and I applaud the FDA for trying to address it.

My issue, as a cigar smoker, is that they are applying a club instead of a scalpel to do it.

Failing to exempt premium cigars is a mistake. I expect they will realize that and amend the law and everything will be just fine. So call your congressperson, make them understand there's a difference between premium cigars and what kids smoke, and be polite. And please, let's keep the anti-government conspiracy theories and calls for revolution off the board. They're goddamn cigars. Light one and cool your jets.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The more I look at all this it seems like this is all aimed at the vaping industry and the big boys in the cigar game trying to control the market. Big tobacco flexing muscle on the smaller players.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The more I look at all this it seems like this is all aimed at the vaping industry and the big boys in the cigar game trying to control the market. Big tobacco flexing muscle on the smaller players.
That's exactly what this is, but they overreached by including 'premium cigars'! Option II would've left 'Premiums' out of this, but the idiots on the Hill went with Option I. The big question is why! It just makes no sense. Americans consume 325 million premiums a year! That's a ton of tax revenue. It's just idiotic.

PamunkeyHub

Jayson
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
That's exactly what this is, but they overreached by including 'premium cigars'! Option II would've left 'Premiums' out of this, but the idiots on the Hill went with Option I. The big question is why! It just makes no sense. Americans consume 325 million premiums a year! That's a ton of tax revenue. It's just idiotic.
The bureaucrats that run the FDA don't care about tax revenue. The current administration wants to regulate every aspect of our lives by any means necessary, legal or illegal. The big players in the cigar and vaping industry who can afford big political donations will receive waivers (remember the Obamacare waivers) and the little guys will be forced out of business in the name of public health.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The bureaucrats that run the FDA don't care about tax revenue.
I agree. But the House of Representatives dictates what the FDA can and cannot do. I'll state the obvious by saying all of us live in one congressional district or another with a representative who possesses a vote. Unfortunately, Nancy Pelosi is my representative, and I know my appeals to her office have fallen on deaf ears. But consumers and retailers in other districts may be able to make enough noise to get the House to vote for an exemption. It appears that only the House can 'carve out' an exemption now, or the major brands and retailers will have to sue the FDA, which also seems very promising given the harmlessness of premium cigars when it comes to teenagers consuming tobacco products. It seems like there are two viable options:
1) Consumers and retailers start a grassroots campaign in their congressional districts.
2) The major manufacturers and retailers sue the FDA and win.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This is not legislation. It was not passed by Congress. It is a federal agency making a rule change and deeming that they can now regulate things Congress never intended the to regulate. This isn't a problem "on the hill."

This is an over zealous FDA lackey with ties to the makers of nicorrette and a hard on for smoking in general. He was given the post in charge of tobacco and these rules were the first thing he started working on. Then Congress approved his nomination for chairman despite what he was doing. He has financial ties to twenty pharmaceutical companies and an equity stake in two of them. One of the ones that paid him $85,000 makes Nicorette. He had no business being within shouting distance of this process at the FDA.

The FDA "deemed" that these things are under their control. In other words they decided to change the old rules to cover new things because the new guy has a hard on for anything tobacco related. It isn't just about saving kids. It is about eliminating tobacco in as much as they can. Why? Because they feel they have to save idiots like us from ourselves.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to a Drew Estate event today at my b&m. Bought cigars and got free cigars and the hat...with a goddamn warning label..on a hat. The rep said they now have to put it on any swag due to some government agreement. He said they probably will not do shirts anymore. I tore the warning label off. Ridiculous!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Went to a Drew Estate event today at my b&m. Bought cigars and got free cigars and the hat...with a goddamn warning label..on a hat. The rep said they now have to put it on any swag due to some government agreement. He said they probably will not do shirts anymore. I tore the warning label off. Ridiculous!

That's absurd but that is where we're headed. Think about having to look at these warning labels every damn time you open a box of cigars. They're not going to be little labels, they will take up half the box and be really in your face. Imagine popping open your wineador where you stack your boxes and sifting through your selection deciding what to smoke. Instead of seeing "Tatuaje", "Padron", "Liga Privada" as you rummage through you'll be reading "Cancer this" and "Emphysema that". A nice way to end your long and ardous workday just turned into a goddamn buzzkill.

Wait until every time you receive an online order you'll be forced to look at grotesque pictures of cancerous throats, black lungs, and god knows what else.

Look at Canada, Australia, and every other overbearing nanny state on the face of the earth and decide if that's how you want to live. If you do, please pack your bags, relinquish your citizenship, and never come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.