What's new

Novice questions

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok so I'm just going to get as many of my dumb questions out of the way at once.

• What kind of spending am I getting myself into
  • Are there cigars that don't take an hour to smoke?
  • What is a reasonably priced (I'm a broke barista) cigar that I can begin to build my palate with?
  • Where's the best place to find a cigar shop near me? (google?)
  • What really is the difference between cigars? It's all tobacco right?
  • I don't inhale right?

Thanks in advance I can already tell just from speaking with WindowRX and the warm welcome that I got on the introductions board that you guys freakin' rock and I'm glad to have found this site!

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well I will start out with a few answers...
1. honestly depends on you, and how much of an addictive personality you have... It really does not cost that much, if you know how to limit yourself

2. Yes there are, I know this sounds obvious but the smaller the cigar the quicker, but that doesnt mean that is all you should try.

3. I Will Leave Suggestions to Others
4. Talk to other brothers that live in your area, I know that there are a few here or on other boards that we can get into contact with for you.

5. Yes it is all tobacco, but different types will give off different flavors, depending on the soil... Cuban tobacco taste different than Dominican

6. a little bit yes, but not every puff, unless you really want to puke on your first cigar...

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
This is completely up to you bro. How often you plan on smoking, if you plan on ageing cigars, and whether you have OCD tendancies or not will determine this.
Yes. Tres Petit Coronas, or perlas, tend to take about 50 minutes for me to smoke. Also there are clubs or cigarillos out there that take 20 minutes or so. Besides, you should only smoke a cigar for as long as you are enjoying it...not neccesarily until it is gone.
  • What is a reasonably priced (I'm a broke barista) cigar that I can begin to build my palate with?
If you are talking locally available domestics then I would sey Romeo y Julietta, Macanudo, and Padron maduro 1000s series are all good cigars for establishing what you like and don't like...I think anyways. Some of the other guys will have to help more with this because it has been like a year since I really enjoyed a domestically available cigar.
http://www.rtda.org/links.html
The difference is where the tobacco is grown. How it is treated (cared for) after harveting. Where the leaves come from on the plant and how those are combined or blended in the cigar.
  • I don't inhale right?
No! Never! Just hold the smoke in your mouth and then slowly blow it out.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You've pretty much got your answers above. But here's some questions that might help us answer better: Do you have a humidor of some type yet, and how big is it? How often do you smoke now? And from 1-10 how would you characterize the obsessiveness/adictiveness of your personality? The higher the number, the more money you are going to be spending...ask Todd. :wink:

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yea his avatar... yea thats his Humi....

so if you are addictive like that you are screwed....

I got a cooler for my humi, works like a damn charm

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
No question is dumb bubba, so I hope I can help you out with some answers to your questions.

• [*]What kind of spending am I getting myself into?

It's up to you and pawn broker. Buying cigars is more addicting than crack. There's your warning.

[*]Are there cigars that don't take an hour to smoke?

There are tins availiable that come 10/tin. These are good for about 20 mins or less. Good way to get in to the habit, without breaking the bank. They have names like puritos and ascots. They aren't that bad.

[*]What is a reasonably priced (I'm a broke barista) cigar that I can begin to build my palate with?

My boss swears by Baccarat cigars. They are cheap but not "Cheap Cigars".
    Stay away from the stuff you get at the drug store and anything that comes in a bag of 50.

[*]Where's the best place to find a cigar shop near me? (google?)

That's a good place to start.

[*]What really is the difference between cigars? It's all tobacco right?

It is all tobacco, but different hieghts of the plant will produce different flavors. Different growing regions produce different taste profiles. It's the samething that you yourself can relate to being a barista, Zimbabwae doesn't taste like a Peaberry, Kona doesn't taste like Sumatra.

[*]I don't inhale right?

Unless you want to look like the hulk...all green!

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
One more thing...as far as a humidor goes, tupperware works great. Just make sure you get a decent humidifiaction setup. There is Hearfelt (Viper) has some beads that you can order, even waterpillows from your tobacconist works great until you have the need to expand.

I'm all about cheap...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
hey I told you I had nothing to do with it Todd...

But a good place to start is with lighter cigars...

When i Started i enjoyed Padron 1000 - 3000
I found that i liked something a little stronger than the 1000 so i went with the 3000 but I was not yet ready for a maduro, saying that I guess i am just saying, try a bunch, remember what you smoke and remember what you like...

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
These guys basically covered it all. Just make sure you have your basics all covered first. I would reccomend no smaller then a 100-200ct. humidor. You might think you only need the 25ct., but there are so many cigars and so little time :smokingco

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
jasontp said:
Ok so I'm just going to get as many of my dumb questions out of the way at once.

Waaaaaaaaaay too much!

No. Yes. Er, sure?

Ok I'll get serious - Flor de Oliva is a great place to start. Full flavor, easy on the wallet.

Phonebook?

Yeah, just like all wine is the same. :) No, there's a HUGE difference between brands. Sometimes even within a single brand.

• I don't inhale right?

Never. Ever. Unless you've got iron lungs and a steel stomach.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Ok, everybody disagrees with me on the inhaling question. I do occassionally, i think it helps me taste the true taste of the cigar better, and yes you do have to have iron lungs and a steel stomach, i have gotten sick ( uh a VSG at 11 a.m hung over without breakfast ) and for some reason I am not a fan of those anymore....

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for all your responses guys. I don't have a humidor yet, so I need to find a way to do what you were talking about with tupperwear or something. I've got a pretty addictive personality I guess. There's probably 20-30 bottles of wine around my house that are just the good bottles that I kept after I drank them. I have a really hard time saving stuff like that so I doubt I would get into ageing. As much as I smoke cigarettes and the few times I've smoked a cigar I must have iron lungs and an iron stomach because every 3rd or 4th puff I'd inhale just to taste it a little more. But back on topic, if I were to go out tomorrow and buy one of the lower priced cigars you guys suggested, approximately how much would it be? (sorry to sound so concerned with price, but not having any money makes that an important subject). And if I didn't have time to smoke it then, how would I store it seeing as I don't have a humidor?

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You ask a lot of good questions. In fact the questions most all of us asked when we started into this thing.

My advice..(and it is worth excatly what it cost:headroll: ) is to start small.
A few different types of different cigars. And I would start with the smaller cigars. They will cost less money to buy and if you find them displeasing you wont mind throwing out a half smoked corona versus a quarter smoked churchill.

• What kind of spending am I getting myself into?
  • As little or as much as the wallet can handle, but dont count on more expensive always being better or cheaper being worse. Read some old threads and you will pick up on the names of some budget smokes to try. You pallate will be ever changing so dont buy a lot of one until you are sure you like it and gonna stay liking it.
  • Yep, tres pettit coronas and coronas
  • Punch has a good line. that punch rothschild is what got me involved in this world.
  • Or the yellow pages
  • toilet paper is not toilet paper right, some is harder on you ass. Some cigars will be harder on your taste buds.
  • I don't inhale right?
  • Nope

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
You could get any of the cigars mentioned for around $3 or $4.

If you do go to the tobaconist ask if they have any extra cedar dividers you can have. They work good at buffering the himidity in the tupperware.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
For some decent smokes that don't cost an arm and a leg, I would say check out La Perla Habana and Flor de Oliva. Both have cigars that are around $3 or so that are quite tasty.

I would say ask the people at the shop to help you out and bring back a sampling of different flavors/sizes so you can try em out and see what you like. It might be an idea to try all one size in different brands at a time, then move onto another size and eventually you will find what you like flavor and size wize.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
http://www.rtda.org/linkstx.html

Just scroll down to the city you're in. I can't really help you much on the non-cubans as it has been a while since I've smoked one. But I will say the Arturo Fuente and Padron lines were always great to me back then.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
All the previous answers are spot on as always but you might want to try a Cusano 18 connecticut Mild but with a nice flavor $3.85 rated 92 CA. I smoked one last night real good IMHO for the money.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey thanks guys I really appreciate all your help. . . from what I could decipher in the domestic review section these have intrigued me

Punch Gran Puro Libertad (Tubed)
5x52 Natural wrapper

Luna de Luna

Flor de Oliva Robusto

The Edge maduro

Belmore Cameroon Selection Torpedo

Domaine AVO 40 (Chris' Batchelor Party - Shiraz!)
*Chris and I went on a wine tour in Santa Ynez and he fell in love w/ Shiraz

Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino Sun Grown Captiva Tubos

Davidoff Grand Cru #2

Cusano 1997 Corojo Robusto

Bahia Trinidad Elegante

Bahia Maduro Red Label

Cusano 18 connecticut Mild