What's new

OB-Left's Edgestar Build

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
First, thanks to twent5 and slave2theaxe for the inspiration to pull the trigger. If you haven't looked at their posts you need to.

Mine will not be dramatically different from the two above, except for when it comes to handling possible condensation problems, but more later. I also went with the Bling "Light" version, have to watch my figure...

Ok, so lets get started, shelves have been removed in the picture above and the back of the unit is below. First removed the condensation tray, and then I drilled through the plastic tube with a 1/4 inch drill bit. Remove the nut first. Didn't quite make it straight, but oh well.

Now from the inside of the unit I made the hole larger, and drilled on an angle up toward the original drain hole. My thoughts here, the catch tray in the back of the unit is designed to catch the condensation and take it outside the unit for evaporation. Why redesign the wheel, lets just change where the water goes! Make sure not to damage the plastic fitting in the drain area. But you will need to remove the lose pieces of the old tubbing (black). I have inserted a pipe cleaner through the new hole path.

Into this new path I plan to insert some new tubing. I used standard aquarium air-pump tubing. I cut the leading edge at a 45, to help get it started, and lubed it up with some dish soap and water and fed it down from the top. (that doesn't sound right), notice the hole is a little larger. Helped to grab the tip of the tubing with a pair of needle nose pliers from below.

I had stopped at this point to take a picture, it was almost a fatal mistake. Don't let it sit to long as the soap and water dries and you might not get the tubing moving again. It was close. Picture below shows tubing in final position (1/16 to 1/8 inch above plastic fitting) Notice the soap bubbles and water already draining down the tube.

Closer picture (sorry about the focus)

Below are the fan set-ups. Just a note about the spacers. Not the easiest thing to find. Have a local Menards, don't carry it. Local hardware, doesn't have it. Slave said he got his at Home Depot, the one 1 hour away doesn't carry them. Finally got them at a Lowe's. One inch spacers, rubber washers on top and bottom and a nylon lock nut. Yes, they look pink.

Fans in place, ETC wired, drain tube ready.

Fans connected to power and running, yes they are RED!

And last the back of the unit all wired up.

I have some cedar ordered from woodcraft with which I plan to build a crumb catcher for the bottom on the unit. Picture below shows the test fit. Its not glued up yet. After it is the drain tube will be cut to length and placed in some suitable reservoir.

Three Chasidor double trays (plain cedar) and 2 shelves are on order. ( 17 days and not counting)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
pics!! need pics!

if u have trouble with the picture manager, put them on another site (photobucket, etc...) and insert the image code

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Pics are there now

Questions: Why do you need a timer if you have the RTC unit? Won't the unit cycle on and off maintaining that temp?

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
The units highest normal temp setting is around 60-65 deg. and it doesn't have a precise setting (says colder -- warmer). In addition, the units fan runs 24/7, even if not cooling. With the ETC the temp can be set at exactly 70, and the fan will only run when the unit turns on. The extra fans and timer are for even humidification. As I don't expect that the cooling will run that much ever (here in the great white north). Possibly a little during the summer.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks real cool with the red lights... good job!

How did you mount top top fan? Did you drill through the top or glue in place?

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
The nice thing about the snow storm was that I got another day off today. :clap: Gave me the time to put this together. Its not glued up yet, this was the test fit. But it will keep boxes off the bottom of the unit and allow the air to circulate.

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
I got my unit filled and the humidity is holding at 68%. Everything looks good.

I do have a question for others with one. How much can you store in it? I have placed 6 boxes and a couple of tupidors, inside and have a problem. Its Full :scratchhe I'm assuming that organization will improve when I can get rid of the wavy wire shelves and get my chasidor drawers, but what do you have stored in yours?

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Still working great. I know have 1.5 lbs of HCM beads in place and humidity is steady at 64% top and 68% bottom when the unit is running. Back to 65-66% for both when it stops running.

Note: digital hydrometers, just calibrated and adjusted, when switched same reading after a few hours to adjust.

My only problem is that the unit (28 bottle) is too small. I have already filled it.