What's new

Officer Tasers woman, 72, during traffic stop

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
I was a beat cop for about 4 years, it depends on the officer's SOP's. If they give him power to use his "less-than-lethal" option after he advises her that she is under arrest and she resists, he than tells her, "If you don't stop resisting, I'm going to Taze you!" After watching the video the officer was in the right. Just because the woman is 72 does not make a difference. Not to mention the police department is backing him up. The morale of the story is: "DO NOT RESIST ARREST"!

By the way: Thank God she wasn't black!
LOL... that's just wrong, but funny! Over 50 years later and we still can't get over ourselves.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I think the Tazer was a bit over the top in this instance ... hell the officer could probably bench press that gal. But it's obvious this "lady" needed an attitude adjustment of some sort. A night in jail and a suspended license for 6 mo. would have been more appropriate.

Either that or a good spanking ...

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I'd have tazered that crazy bitch then handcuffed her and stuffed her in the car. She was combative and abusive and deserved to be tazed, had she followed simple instructions it could have been avoided. The officer was doing his job and should not be in any trouble.
The video I watched was heavily edited, so it's hard to really know what went down. With that said, I think the taser was excessive. I don't have much sympathy for someone who refuses to comply with a lawful order from police, but that doesn't mean that an officer should be able to deliver any punishment he sees fit. The officer should use the minimum amount of force necessary to contain the situation, and leave the rest to the courts. A taser is a dangerous weapon, particularly when used on someone of her age.

To my untrained eye, the officer appeared to have lost his temper and used the taser due to emotion, not necessity. If a smart-mouthed old lady managed to get him so riled up, then perhaps he doesn't have the temperament and self-control necessary in a professional police officer.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The video I watched was heavily edited, so it's hard to really know what went down.
THAT is the exact issue. They don't give you the whole picture and let you try to figure out what went on, what was done and what was said.

You have to love all these sidebar comments that are provided from looking at part of the picture and not the whole story. And age has nothing to do with breaking the law or following the lawful commands of those appointed in upholding them. I can guarantee you the taser was better than an ASP or even an arm bar to control her. Five seconds and the taser ride is over - the others leave marks that will last for weeks.

later,

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." Thomas Paine

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
you listen to what a police officer says, plain and simple. i taught my sons that if you get pulled over by a cop, you act like a gentleman no matter what. you can plead you case in a civil manner, but no arguing or resisting. my opinion, she had it coming. And dont let her age cloud your minds, if i read the news right, an 89 year old man shot somebody in the Holocaust museum in Washington. If somebody is nuts, they are nuts no matter what the age.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
The video I watched was heavily edited, so it's hard to really know what went down.
THAT is the exact issue. They don't give you the whole picture and let you try to figure out what went on, what was done and what was said.
I completely agree. My assessment was based entirely on that edited video, but the rest of the video might vindicate the officer's actions.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You should always be nice to a police officer. That old bag probably should not have been tazed, but should have gone to jail for sure. In my opinion officers are just doing thier job when they write a citation. They may or may not know the law. They are not a judge, they don't get paid to be one. If you don't agree with the ticket you sign it and go to court and see the judge. Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt.