What's new

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
The main even should be good, Sam Stout vs Spencer Fisher. The rest of the card looks good but ya never know.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I liked BJ until this fight. He would not let go of the choke after Jens tapped and the ref called it. The the post fight interview was completely rude. Very unclassy turn for BJ.
I have a feeling something strange happened between them after the fight.

BJ might not have wanted to do an interview, went in to win, did that and was done with the whole situation.

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I watch them all...UFC..Pride..BoDog...and now the latest creation WEC..I like that the WEC has the featherweights at 145..those guys are nonstop lol...Plus..Antonio Noguera(spelling) is coming to the ufc...did franklin and griffith win in the latest PPV?..len

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
UFC AND CBS REPORTEDLY CLOSE TO DEAL
The recent writer's strike may be working in favor of the Ultimate Fighting Championship as sources say it is close to announcing a television deal with major broadcast network CBS.

The writer's strike has caused headaches in Hollywood. With several shows not completed due to the strike, many networks are now looking into more reality-style television shows to keep their ratings afloat.

According to Mediapost Publications, the UFC is in the final stages of a deal with CBS, and it may be announced as early as this week.

The UFC has been steadily gaining in popularity and has garnered the attention of the highly coveted 18-34 male demographic. It's no surprise that the promotion is on the cusp of major network notoriety. After all, the mixed martial arts conglomerate has been showcased on ESPN, has continually shown impressive pay-per-view numbers, and has had a successful run on Spike TV.

CBS isn't the only network looking to throw its hat into the MMA world, however. Mediapost has indicated that NBC is also interested in MMA programming. It is not known which promotion would be broadcast on NBC if a deal were completed, but the frontrunner would more than likely be the newly formed M-1 Global – the promotion that signed Fedor Emelianenko, who is currently the world’s No. 1 ranked heavyweight according to MMAWeekly.com. K-1 and the International Fight League were also mentioned as possibilities.

While regular television viewers may suffer due to the strike, MMA fans may soon see their sport showcased on the highest stage, which is network television.

Currently, the sport can be seen on SpikeTV, Fox Sports Net, MyNetworkTV and HDNet, among others. The addition of CBS and NBC would likely bring more legitimacy to a sport that's on the verge on global acceptance.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ8_T4tW1LA"]YouTube - Anderson ''Spider'' Silva[/ame]

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
No more big John....

“Big” John McCarthy is reportedly retiring following Saturday’s “Ultimate Fighter” finale at the Palms Hotel in Las Vegas, according to Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports. He is scheduled to preside over the main event match-up of Clay Guida versus Roger Huerta.

He is currently a mixed martial arts analyst at The Fight Network, a role he has held since June, and will reportedly be adding to his duties upon his retirement from officiating.

McCarthy has been a staple of the Ultimate Fighting Championship since its second event on March 11, 1994. He is widely regarded as the leading authority in the world on MMA officiating. According to his website, BigJohnMcCarthy.com, he has officiated more than 500 bouts in his career.

He has been a driving force in the progression of officiating in the sport and in development of the rules commonly used today. He currently presents seminars, giving instruction on mixed martial arts officiating.

A black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, McCarthy last year opened Big John’s Ultimate Training Academy in Valencia, Calif. He was also a longtime self-defense and tactics instructor for the Los Angeles Police Department.

Daviso27

Never been BoM
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Anybody following the EliteXE on Showtime...They even got a Female League. A lot of good fighters, One of the Shamrocks, one of the Gracies, Kimbo Slice & that one girl Gina Carano..(Crush on the new American Galdiators) I only wish they would post their events earlier. They had a card in Miami and posted it like a week before the card.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
They do have some very good cards. :thumbsup:

There is also the IFL and HDnet fights.

Daviso27

Never been BoM
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Im actually watching HDnet Fights "Furious Finishes" that I Tivo'ed the other day. Im a big boxing fan but the last couple of years the sport has been losing my interest...MMA is my thing now!