What's new

OG shaving

tkieck

Soldier of Fortune
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

about a month ago i went into a new barber that was across from my cigar shop and got my hair cut and a straight shave. Since then i can kind of gone crazy buying up tons of old school shaving equipment, i.e safety razor, straight razor, shaving brush and things of the sort. I was curious if any of you brothers out there share the same passion, although i would imagine that many of you hate shaving as much as the next guy haha. If thats the case I urge you try a straight shave and at least share your opinion on it.

Trevor

Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I've been using a straight razor for the past four years...enjoy it greatly but I stopped shaving completely a few months ago...

I enjoy regrinds and dovo used to make a decent product...I wouldn't start out buying antique equipment as antique stuff has many problems...there are also many straight razor forums I would recommend you check out.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
My wife has never seen my face and we have been married almost 30 years. . .Shaving? Barbarians, all of you. . .:headroll:

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I tried to take it up at one point. Bought a shaving brush when I was in England, and just used it with their soap. Eventually I hunted down the double edge safety razor and all. Of course two days later, I left the razor at a hotel. Since then I've stuck to using my brush, TOBS, and Gillette Fusion. Trying to do the whole routine isn't the easiest, in an RV.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I don't have a beard, I've gone as far as the warm towels, mug, soap and brush - but don't trust myself with the straight razor.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
A straight razor shave is one of the things on my bucket list. I'm 54 and have never had one. It's rare to fine a licensed barber around here that can do it.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Until you have had one it's hard to explain....but it does beat the hell out of a Mach3!

"It's rare to fine a licensed barber around here that can do it."

I've only had a half dozen "straight razor" shaves and I have found the best place to get one and get it done right is a black barbershop.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I don't mind sounding like a total newb here, so anyone want to sell me on what the difference is between this and my trusty mach3?
a straight razor is a single blade razor...it doesn't pull or stretch hairs like a multi-blade razor...think that goofy sweeny todd movie. it also is razor sharp every time you shave. one strops the blade to maintain a razor edge before and after every shave and hones the blade on a regular basis...a semi sharp blade will take chunks out of ones face...it's a hard lesson learned.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I don't mind sounding like a total newb here, so anyone want to sell me on what the difference is between this and my trusty mach3?
A lot of people say you get a smoother shave from one. It's also a very relaxing experience. The very short time I had the double edge razor, did give good results. My skin was still adjusting to the new blade so there was minor irritation, but the smoothness lasted much longer. If you do it yourself, it turns shaving into an experience-and not just a chore. I still use the avocado scented shaving cream that I had bought, it's amazing how a good scent like that can really put your shaving into a different zone.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I have a couple of different safety razors, some nice soap, a brush, and a variety of nice shaving creams that are just oh so good. It's turned shaving from a chore into something I enjoy.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
I use the same DE safety razors my grandfather used when he was my age. I have got to say it is a better shave and a lot cheaper. Just takes a lil more time, but much more enjoyable.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a zillion soaps/creams and 4 different safety razors and 5 badger brushes ranging from $30-$160. It's another addiction I have to step away from ocassionally. It's a real relaxing shave though (when I have time to do it)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shaved head (notice I did not say bald...) and every 3 or 4 months when I take my son or grandson for a cut I will get the hot towel treatment and there is nothing better.

I am fortunate that the shop I go to is owned by the same guy for almost 40 years. He taught his sons and grandsons the business including how to shave. He even has a shoe shine guy in there and the young guys get a kick from seeing this old cobbler shine and restore leather.

Anyway, back to the topic. Nothing beats a straight razor shave.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
been meaning to pick up a straight razor, just haven't had the beans ($) for it... but when I get a chance I will. Aaron sold me on it in BB chat a while back.

tkieck

Soldier of Fortune
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha yea good to see this is not a lost art. I have been trying to sell my friends on it but most of them see shaving as a chore while i like to see it as an experiance. Helps start the morning off right thats for sure.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been using a safety razor and brush for about a year. I love it, in fact a buddy mine said to me the other day well are you going back to that mach 5, i was like heck no if fact you can have i think its in the back of my cabinet unless i threw it out. He was shocked, he was like you enjoy it that much. I said yeah, beside the fact i just bought 50 razors for $24, it just is an incredible shave.

I also you Truefitt & Hill 1805. Now it looks expensive, but i paid like $25 for a tub of shaving cream about 9 months ago and still have 3/4 of the tub left. Great stuff.

I tried the straight razor, i just couldn't do it, but i bough a cheap straight, so that's prob why it sucked. I really want to have a barber do a straight shave but haven't yet. I want to go to the Truefitt and Hill in Chicago and have them do it. I would love to do that.

Serious though, it takes practice and patience to shave with either one a straight or a DE Safety Razor. But i love it, i will sometimes shave at night, just randomly say hun going to take a shower and shave. It relaxes me like smoking a fine cigar. Good luck brothers..

Dan