What's new

OG shaving

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I follow a guy on Twitter that is a shaving nut, he posts a pic of his daily shave. He has a collection of razors, brushes, soaps, etc. It's pretty cool to see and although I'd like to try it I know myself well enough to know I'd get rushed and go back to my Fusion before long. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has never seen my face and we have been married almost 30 years. . .Shaving? Barbarians, all of you. . .:headroll:
Actually, wouldn´t having a beard make you the barbarian ???... Just sayin...

To topic: i have been shaving with a safety razor exclusively for about 6 month. Love it.

I get the turkish "ARKO" shaving soap

which is inexpensive and gives a great shave!
Plus a german safety razor
with israely blades imported from the US.

After that, an austrian aftershave:

Truly international shave!

True to my handle, i do have a straight razor, but haven´t used is much yet. The safety razor gives me such a great shave.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Can one actually buy a straight razor and attempt to shave oneself without drawing blood? There must be an art to it. Especially the leather strap edge straightener move.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I shave my head and have always wanted a straight edge shave. No one around here would do it. I was in Cyprus on vacation and saw this hole in the wall small two seat barbershop with one barber who looked closer to 70 than 60. Great. Finally my straight shave.

I walk in and have my aunt translate that I want my head shaved. He puts a hot towel on to prepare the stubble and proceeds to take out a electric clippers and cut my hair. Apparently he didn't want to chance cutting my face off so he went the newfangled way.

Rarely have I been that disappointed.

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
I used to live in Scituate harbor here in MA. My day off was mondays and I'd go every monday morning for a haircut and a shave from this oldtimer barber. There were two barbers in town and the oldtimers was always empty cause the new place was more modern. I went in on a chance because I was short of time and low and behold I went there for 2 years straight ever monday.It was the best way to start the week.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pardon the bump of a month old thread. I should've come back a lot sooner, it would seem.

I've been SR shaving for 3 or more years now...I've kind of lost track. I skipped DE razors completely and started off with a Dovo and Art of Shaving brush/products but as I mentioned in my re-introduction thread, I recently upgraded my entire kit:

Click for larger version

• Heribert Wacker 15/16 "Antik" Spanish Point Limited Edition, #1 of 16, with blond horn scales
  • Tony Miller 3" Artisan latigo/linen strop (worth the wait)
  • Rooney Model 1, size 2 "Super Silvertip" shaving brush
  • Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle (not pictured but can't recommend this one enough)
  • Various soaps, creams, and balms by Truefitt & Hill, Art of Shaving, D.R. Harris, etc.

I'm not saving any money or time but I do enjoy the ritual and the sensation.

Last edited:

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I'm intrigued but also cautious about diving head first into this one. I've little to shave but I hate the irritation a regular safety razor leaves behind on areas I have to go over several times

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been thinking about going the straight razor route for a while now... i like my facial hair (mutton chops, goatee, and moustache) so i don't have much to shave, anyway. but i'm inclined to enjoy the finer things in life, and i consider "OG shaving" to be on that list. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been thinking about going the straight razor route for a while now... i like my facial hair (mutton chops, goatee, and moustache) so i don't have much to shave, anyway. but i'm inclined to enjoy the finer things in life, and i consider "OG shaving" to be on that list. :)
Well, you can´t have your beard and shave it, too :glassesgr.

I consider wet-shaving to be like a spa treatment for men...

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Until you have had one it's hard to explain....but it does beat the hell out of a Mach3!

"It's rare to fine a licensed barber around here that can do it."

I've only had a half dozen "straight razor" shaves and I have found the best place to get one and get it done right is a black barbershop.
Ditto!! It really is the only way to go if done properly!

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Pardon the bump of a month old thread. I should've come back a lot sooner, it would seem.
No, thank you. Had you not bumped the thread, I may not have seen it. Now that I have I'm pretty intrigued :grin:. Don't really care for shaving that much, used to have to shave all the time when I worked in the kitchen. My wife doesn't like the furry face, so perhaps I would shave more if it were and "experience" as opposed to a "chore"...

Dan

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't let my beard get in the way of my shaving pleasure too much. But then, I don't sport a full beard...just a variation on the tailback goatee and 'stache.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Check out www.straightrazorplace.com. A great forum with all the info, videos, and cheaper materials you need to get started. I bought a used (disinfected) straight from a guy there for about $30 and it showed up perfectly sharp and ready to go. Spent another $20 on a beginner's quality strop and I'm loving my shaves. My neck irritation has gone down considerably.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've been using a safety razor for the last few years. I have the soap and and badger hair brush but the last two years I don't use shaving soap anymore. I just wet the blade with cold water and shave away.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a safety razor for the last few years. I have the soap and and badger hair brush but the last two years I don't use shaving soap anymore. I just wet the blade with cold water and shave away.
I wet my face with HOT water and shave .... It is so much better than sopas or creams or whatnot.. have been doin this for the past 6 or 7 years

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Like the ritual of smoking cigars, I too enjoy the ritual of a nice relaxing wet shave. I started about 8 months ago with a badger brush and a safety razor. Since then I've picked up a couple soaps, some aftershaves, and another brush. Considering the fact that I can pick up a pack of 100 razor blades for 14 dollars (which I can use 3 times each before tossing them out), in the long run it's much cheaper than putting down 15 dollars for a 4 pack of cartridges that will last me just a couple of months. And I get the smoothest shaves of my life!