whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Only online coffee I know of is a dude named Kevin. Best part is he takes payment in the form of cigars. :D
He roasted the best coffee I have ever had :youarethe
Haha. Thanks, guys. That's quite a compliment. I'm glad you both enjoyed my roasts. :)
Kevin,

Do you have a webpage?
Nope, not anymore. I used to sell commercially in a joint venture with my step-dad (it was called Jake's Java after my 6 year old son). We sold to a few coffee shops & online (we were in talks with Whole Foods to be on their shelves too). I still own the domain & have a small (5 lb.) commercial roaster in storage, but both of our real jobs & lives kinda put the dream on hold for the time being. :(

I'm more than happy to work out a small trade with you if you want though. Shoot me a PM if so. :)

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Watch out for Kevin's use of the word small..... :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.
Haha. BOTL math applies to coffee too, right? ;)
Well that's up to you. Haha. I'm just warning the masses. ;)

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0

Haha. BOTL math applies to coffee too, right? ;)
Well that's up to you. Haha. I'm just warning the masses. ;)

IIRC, you were the one who schooled me in our "small" trade a while back! :)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I order exclusively from Greenwell farms, It is 100% pure farm harvested Kona coffee. They grow it on their own farm, roast it and ship it so awesomely fresh it's unbelievable. Plus their customer service is the best, 2 day shipping, can't ask for more.
They consistently have the best 100% Kona available. I love that they sell green (unroasted) coffee too.

You can't go wrong with Intelligentsia, Stumptown, Counter Culture, Ritual, Coava or Gimmie! just to name a few off the top of my head. I buy the majority of my green coffee from Sweet Maria's as well who also sources many of the same lots with a few of the roasters I just mentioned.

All good recommendations from the guy who knows what he's talking about :) I'd also throw in MadCap, Heart, Verve, and Handsome...although one of my coffee buddies claims Handsome over-roasts their coffee...but I've enjoyed what I've had of theirs.

That's awesome that a lot of you guys roast your own, and evidently quite a bit of it at that. I haven't gone down that path just yet...but I do enjoy trying lots of new coffees from the quality micro-roasters out there today. Since coffee is a seasonal crop, I am always getting to try new beans from different regions. I am fortunate that there is a really fantastic shop just down the street from me that sources and roasts their own beans, and they do a really great job from origin to consumption, traveling to different growing regions around the world to source beans direct from the producers :thumbsup:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I order exclusively from Greenwell farms, It is 100% pure farm harvested Kona coffee. They grow it on their own farm, roast it and ship it so awesomely fresh it's unbelievable. Plus their customer service is the best, 2 day shipping, can't ask for more.
They consistently have the best 100% Kona available. I love that they sell green (unroasted) coffee too.

You can't go wrong with Intelligentsia, Stumptown, Counter Culture, Ritual, Coava or Gimmie! just to name a few off the top of my head. I buy the majority of my green coffee from Sweet Maria's as well who also sources many of the same lots with a few of the roasters I just mentioned.

All good recommendations from the guy who knows what he's talking about :) I'd also throw in MadCap, Heart, Verve, and Handsome...although one of my coffee buddies claims Handsome over-roasts their coffee...but I've enjoyed what I've had of theirs.

That's awesome that a lot of you guys roast your own, and evidently quite a bit of it at that. I haven't gone down that path just yet...but I do enjoy trying lots of new coffees from the quality micro-roasters out there today. Since coffee is a seasonal crop, I am always getting to try new beans from different regions. I am fortunate that there is a really fantastic shop just down the street from me that sources and roasts their own beans, and they do a really great job from origin to consumption, traveling to different growing regions around the world to source beans direct from the producers :thumbsup:
It's a fun hobby. Sounds like you know good coffee already too. You save a ton by roasting your own in the long run. I've heard good things about Handsome, but haven't tried them yet.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's a fun hobby. Sounds like you know good coffee already too. You save a ton by roasting your own in the long run. I've heard good things about Handsome, but haven't tried then yet.
Yeah, my wife says I already have enough hobbies as it is, so in order to continue enjoying the ones I have, I won't be picking up any new ones anytime soon :grin: I've heard of guys roasting small batches using an electric popcorn maker...never tried it though. For me, the benefit would be being able to keep the coffee in the "sweet spot" as far as age goes. I've found that coffee fresh off roast is still too gassy, and is better after about 3 days and up to about 10 days off. If I could micro-roast a few servings worth of beans at a time every few days, that would be pretty cool and fit my needs nicely.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
A popcorn popper will work, but it's not ideal due to small batch size, uneven heat distribution (scorching the beans) & no way to "profile" the roast. An entry level "Freshroast" or if you can find a used IRoast2 on eBay or wherever would be a better "starter" machine. Of course, both of those options are more expensive as well. I feel ya on the multiple rabbit holes too. :)

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I got lucky my wife is one heck of a good roaster. When it came time to move up to a more commercial roaster all I had to do is try and slow her down. Our steps went from popper to a behmor and now were working on finding a 5kg roaster. Coffee is I find a lot like cigars that every one has there preferred roast level and country of origin. If you do decide to try the popper method to start you'll find a whole new world of tastes you can get out of beans.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, welcome to the coffee world. If you really want to savor all of the goodness of coffee you need both the right coffee and the best equipment to grind and brew it. As far as online coffee stores go, this one is becoming pretty popular - http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/espresso-machines. Daily Cuppa Coffee has a ton of gourmet branded coffees to experiment with at what I think are pretty reasonable prices too.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm loving this thread! I've been a subscriber of tonx.org since the beginning they are excellent. I've also been part of Handsome since before they started as well. Both excellent. Handsome is nowhere near over-roasting. That said, my favorites would be Heart, Coava, stumptown, sightglass, ritual, blue bottle... Counter culture is phenomenal when you can find it. George howell's Terroir is also bomb! All those are at the forefront of boutique coffee, so they cost a bit and in my book is totally worth it. Give Tonx a try, they usually have a free trial period.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two favorite from large roasters are Peets Major Dickason's blend and their Sumatra. Online my two favorites are Metropolis Red Line Espresso and Inteligentsia's Black Cat Espresso. Sorry, I can't post the links cause I'm too new!