What's new

Only smoked one & bought a box?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm usually pretty pragmatic about my box purchases. If I smoke something new to me & like it, I'll generally hunt around online for a deal on a 5er, or grab a few more singles the next time I'm at the B&M. Every now & then though, I'll smoke something that I enjoy enough that I go right to Step 3.

It just happened recently with RoMa's Aquataine. In the last year, La Imperiosas & HDM Epi 2s got me as well.

What about you? How many do you normally smoke before committing to a box? Do you ever take the Ready-Fire-Aim approach & buy a box blind?

*Edit re:typo

Last edited:

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
So far the only 2 boxes I have bought were blind. I got lucky and enjoy them both.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
What about you? How many do you normally smoke before committing to a box? Do you ever take the Ready-Fire-Aim approach & buy a box blind?
Never a blind box, but more than once I've bought a box of something I'd only smoked once. Huge face palm. :facepalm: It was when I was a neophyte smoker and my palate was still developing. Every time the result was the same: bitter disappointment! My rule of thumb is, "If I like the single, buy another; if I like the second one, buy a fiver; if I like the fiver...THEN buy the box!" (y) :cigar:

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I too smoked a single RoMa aquitaine and ordered a box, they are such a good smoke.

I also ordered two boxes of BBB on a whim, smoked one, and ordered three more since I read they were only making 1000 boxes of those.

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Only time I went in full hog without trying first this past year was the Talaveras. But I did make a few screw ups In the past. You only have to be stuck with a Box once to learn. 1, 1, 5, box is a good rule.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Bought after one cigar:
  • Casa Fuente CG
  • LP T52
  • Tatuaje Wet Pack
  • Pepin 10th
Bought boxes after pre release cigar:
  • Dirty Rat
  • L40
Bought blind:
  • ELO (new) NHC
  • MFLE 11
  • MFLE 12
  • T52 Belicoso
  • Tat black cg
  • Hyde
  • Face
  • Tat 7th Capa

Just quickly ... and I stopped before the list got out of hand. :)

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Almost all Cubans boxes I buy are without having the cigar before. Now that I've had most of them that isn't the case anymore, but for a couple years it was. I also bought a warped FdV Cristales box after only having one.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
One other thing id interject is that usually buying a blind box revolves around people giving it high reviews or accolades. When I do this (even a fiver) and find its not my thing, I bomb them. It's not like you're passing off garbage, just a cigar that everyone seems to love but you.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
One other thing id interject is that usually buying a blind box revolves around people giving it high reviews or accolades. When I do this (even a fiver) and find its not my thing, I bomb them. It's not like you're passing off garbage, just a cigar that everyone seems to love but you.
Correct. Wouldn't buy a (nc) box blindly without the positive reviews of folks here. Though, when I was first starting into cigars, I bought a few boxes based on cost.... they went overseas.

I've had a couple box (and 5er) buys that didn't meet expectations, but were well regarded around these parts. They got bombed out in noob sponsorships.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
First CC box purchase, monte #4's. They were plugged and not very good. Luckily that didn't stop me as I'm progressively falling further down the cliff towards full CC. Only other blind box purchase would be RyJ churchills, which did not disappoint.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've done the one and plunge a few times.
Tramp stamps
Short story
Man o war puro authentico
Blind boxes I've bought on reviews alone
HUHC
GH Vintage 2002 ( great golf smoke)
Bought a box of victor Sinclair maddys blind just starting into the hobby. Got burned on those nasty buggers

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I've done the one and plunge a few times.
Tramp stamps
Short story
Man o war puro authentico
Blind boxes I've bought on reviews alone
HUHC
GH Vintage 2002 ( great golf smoke)
Bought a box of victor Sinclair maddys blind just starting into the hobby. Got burned on those nasty buggers
That reminds me. I need to buy more Puro Authentico cigars.