What's new

Open Forum on Cigar Trends...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's missing? What is there not enough of? Too much of?

I love hearing from other cigar smokers about their perspective on the industry. I am looking for ideas for my upcoming trip to the factory to work on some new concepts.

Be as general or specific as you'd like....

Jason
Viva Republica

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Too many gimmick cigars and not enough info from manufacturers.

EDIT: we need classic violas and ring gauges... No more of this 54+ bs... Let's keep it 38-48

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
My two cents:

Too many odd shapes and gimmicks. Real creativity in blending quality, well aged tobaccos is welcomed. IMHO lighter cigars with full complex flavor is what I would like to see more of.

Boxes of ten are great to help keep the price down.

I like the traditional sizes, along with the popular 5.5 x 52-54 robusto extra size. Enough with the massive RGs.

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
I agree with both:

Too many gimmicks
60rg seems unessicary

I also feel like every time I read a "description" of what a cigar is on a merchant site they all list the same adjectives: Smooth, Creamy, Good Finish, Medium to Full, Changes throughout, great flavor. unique... Have a niche, promote it, and rock with it!

Also, as a marketing major, I get the premise of "Prestige Pricing" but its getting a little out of hand, like with the Widow maker and what not... Ill never claim to understand 100% of what goes into making a cigar but I cant imagine there is a 25$ difference between and EPC core line and and a Widow maker etc... Some cost more than others to manufacture obviously, but come on....

My last point would be excessive labeling... I dont need 3 different bands on my cigar or a band that is 1/3 the length of my stick... If your cigar is good quality and delicious you shouldnt need a label the cigar should sell itself.

After rereading this all my complaints seem to be marketing based (thats how ive been trained) but i still feel they are legit none-the-less

p.s. theres a 98% chance this should also go in the "posting whi;e intoxicated" thread too so take that for what is worth.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I agree with both:
Too many gimmicks
My last point would be excessive labeling... I dont need 3 different bands on my cigar or a band that is 1/3 the length of my stick... If your cigar is good quality and delicious you shouldnt need a label the cigar should sell itself.
Question: What do you guys mean when talking about "Too many gimmicks"?? Too many imitations?
On the other hand, aherzing, remember that there are some who love excessive labeling or long labels...some of the artistic labels attract many people. I am included...even tho I read reviews and tend to favor reviews over bands, when I see an unknown cigar and the band is cheap or not very attractive, the cigar itself is kinda boring just to look at.

And yeah, I agree with the above. Packs of 10 would be great...I don't usually buy boxes of 20 or 25, since I can't spend that...5 packs are too small (maybe it is just me).

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
Question: What do you guys mean when talking about "Too many gimmicks"?? aherzing, remember that there are some who love excessive labeling or long labels...some of the artistic labels attract many people. I am included...even tho I read reviews and tend to favor reviews over bands, when I see an unknown cigar and the band is cheap or not very attractive, the cigar itself is kinda boring just to look at.

And yeah, I agree with the above. Packs of 10 would be great...I don't usually buy boxes of 20 or 25, since I can't spend that...5 packs are too small (maybe it is just me).

I 1000% percent agree with this, but at the same time, I have all too many times been "tricked" into purchasing a, in my opinion, sub par smoke, because of a fancy/decorative label... A lot of my favs have minimalist labels (LP) or Consistent labels (AF)

By gimmicks i think of brand that seem to have 7000 different types, because you go from 98% of this leaf and 2% of this to 97% and 3% you need a whole new name? new marca? new marketing stategiy? new name? I disagree.... If one with that minute of a change makes that much of a difference then that should be the brand you promote.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I 1000% percent agree with this, but at the same time, I have all too many times been "tricked" into purchasing a, in my opinion, sub par smoke, because of a fancy/decorative label... A lot of my favs have minimalist labels (LP) or Consistent labels (AF)

By gimmicks i think of brand that seem to have 7000 different types, because you go from 98% of this leaf and 2% of this to 97% and 3% you need a whole new name? new marca? new marketing stategiy? new name? I disagree.... If one with that minute of a change makes that much of a difference then that should be the brand you promote.
Understood the "gimmick" stuff! Thanks!
And another way to put about the labeling: Make the label stand up to the premium cigar, and viceversa....right? LP label is superb, so is the cigar. AF label is traditional and elegant, so is the cigar.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
What's missing?
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything of real substance right now. Reading the replies, gimmick cigars are coming up a lot. I think the gimmick cigars only get the publicity because people give it to them. What is a gimmick if not a marketing ploy to get someone to buy a product. Let's face it, it works. If you don't like them, don't buy them. Enough people do that and they'll find a different marketing ploy for everyone to complain about. There are plenty of brands out there that are good and readily available.

What is there not enough of?
Room in the humidor and time in the week.

Too much of?
Government regulation BS. Other than that nothing. There's something out there for everyone and then some.

Dan

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
By gimmicks I meant odd ball shapes, ridiculous names and over the top claims of quality and rarity.

As for bands, I think a rich looking traditional band works just fine. No need for overkill or for big manufacturers to put on fake "boutique" labels.

One thing I do like is the short run concept. EPC does it right. Each one unique and good. And by only doing one, I think it is more likely to be good in future years... It's just got to be easier to devote the time needed to do one good one then to try to do several blends in a short period of time.

The "project of the month" trend is getting old... I've lost interest in chasing these.

One more point on the box of ten concept... I will often buy a box of ten if I think a cigar has potential even if I haven't smoked it... Won't drop the coin on a larger box that easily of course. It's common sense, but these small boxes make it much easier to jump on and invest in new brands (Ortega and Curivari) or pricier sticks (La Verite).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents:
Too many odd shapes and gimmicks.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the flavor component. To me, it's paramount...when it comes to the blending trade off of strength vs. flavor --- flavor wins with me.

In terms of your comment about shapes...I think it's important to test out new vitolas/shapes as the variance in wrapper/filler by size tapering can significantly impact the progression and complexity of the smoke. I do agree that there are a few shapes that have been created solely for the sake of appearances.

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Jason, nice to see you here !!!!!!!

The size and number of bands don't really bother me ...... they do come off after all !!!!

What really erks me is what manufactures DON'T put on labels ..... IF you are going to have a "special" or "limited" cigar, let the band reflect it !!!! There are several companies that use the same band for different lines or yearly special cigars...... the boxes may be different, but once the go in the humi, you cant tell them appart ........ just my 2cents ......

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the flavor component. To me, it's paramount...when it comes to the blending trade off of strength vs. flavor --- flavor wins with me.

In terms of your comment about shapes...I think it's important to test out new vitolas/shapes as the variance in wrapper/filler by size tapering can significantly impact the progression and complexity of the smoke. I do agree that there are a few shapes that have been created solely for the sake of appearances.

As you well know, i prefer a stronger cigar ...... but having said that, I WILL choose taste over strength !! After all, taste is one of the main reasons for smoking in the first place !! for me, anyways ...... let the blend determine the size ...... not business trends !!!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
10ct boxes would be very welcome to me, I'm willing to buy untried cigars in a 10ct box.

I agree, flavor over strength.

Bands and sizes don't bother me, if it's a good cigar, it's all good. Although, if I have a choice, my choice goes toward a petite corona.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Ditto on getting back to smaller RG and more in line with traditional sizes. sorry 54 RG is not a Robusto. Hopefully the 60RG is just a passing fad. Don't get me wrong bigger RG have thier place, Poker Nights, Summer BBQ's, Celebrations. Think the problem is that any new cigar line seems to launch with the larger sizes Churchill, Toro, Torpedo smallest usually being the Robusto with a 52/54 RG. Can't remeber the last time a new line that launched with a Corona. I understand got to go with the market cause money talks and bullshit walks so we who want smaller ring gauges need to start speaking with our wallets and convince others to do the same.

I would love to see boxes of 10 but think the biggest challenge is making boxes of 10 as well as boxes of 20/25 is just a cost that most manufactures don't want to or can't afford. In my ideal world cigars would come in plain boxes of 10 and dress boxes of 20. So those of us who just want to enjoy the sticks can get plain box and the collectors can purchase the dress box.

Last thing is on the consumer side. Getting tired of the Kool-Aid drinkers and the haters. When i say Kool-Aid drinker mean the guy who loves "brand x" and will not stop untill everybody agrees with him. Haters are these guys who think thier brand or way of smoking is the "proper" or "right way". they critique/ridicule anyone who doesn't do it there way. These are things that haters have actually told me, "Never use a punch cutter on a robusto you don't get the full experience." "I can tell your new REAL CIGAR SMOKERS don't use torch lighters."

I usually don't pay any attention but these two groups are part of the reason why it's difficult to get new people into cigar smoking.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
From this side of the pond I think that the names are getting more and more ridiculous, almost willy waving by the companies- wft has an Uzi weighing a ton got to do with cigars ?

I think a range of sizes that would suit a short winter smoke through to a celebration size and no I don't ant something with the girth of an elephant leg !

Also flavour is paramount, as a 1 or 2 cigars a week person I don't want it to make me so light headed I stub it out.

I want my "me time" to be special and relaxing with my cigar.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think many manufacturers are spreading themselves too think. Make a few really good quality cigars and thats fine. A line a year or two great. But some manufacturers I have loved are coming out with 3-6 new lines a year and half of them I do not think are up to their normal quality which can be disappointing when you buy something thinking you will like it based on reputation alone.