What's new

Open Forum on Cigar Trends...

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Is the 60 RG, which I'm not a fan of, a "gimmick when seemingly every manufacturer that introduces it has success with it?
Once again, it comes down to us being the minority, and those purchasing 60+rg's being the majority. We know how to enjoy the flavors that a smaller cigar can offer, while joe-schmo cigar smoker doesn't want his buddies to make fun of his man hood when he smokes a PC. I know guys that need a great big huge rg cigar that will knock your socks off just to feel "comfortable". We are outnumbered by these types, and as much as we dislike it, the cigar companies know that. I really can't blame them, they are a company first, their intention is to make money and stay afloat.

There are a few very good big rg cigars, but sadly the difference between those "requiring" these huge cigars and us is generally the difference between a connoisseur and a mere partaker. I don't know of a single member on this site that would turn down a fantastic tasting cigar because his buddies "might" make fun of the size. Where as I've had cigars laughed at because they were "too small".

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Is the 60 RG, which I'm not a fan of, a "gimmick when seemingly every manufacturer that introduces it has success with it?
Hey Buddy
Miss seeing you around give me a call when you have time so we can catch up! Gravity had a pretty good answer I tend to think it's a trend and I as you dislike them. I also hope they go away soon some of the 60 rg stuff is tasty but just to uncomfortable to smoke so I seldom smoke them. BTW your new site is kick ass nice job Charlie.

Dave

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Having worked in a shop, I can tell you we sold more 50rg and up sticks then we did under 50rg sticks, so where the botl may prefer smaller rg's the average cigar smoker doesn't. I think we(botl type smokers) make up a very small segment of the market and there is plenty of room for "gimmicks" and small batch cigars. I think it is really easy to hate on the big players(Altadis, General) for all the lines they have, but they do sell and people do enjoy them, and that is what it is really about. Personally, I don't think too much of anything is a bad thing when it comes to cigars, the consumer just needs to be aware of what they are buying.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I am curious as to what this means? What are the gimmicks and what info do you want from manufacturers?
Gimmicks... NUb sizes, stupid RG, all viaje, gurkha marketing, silly catchy names and over the top packaging, etc...

Info = what tobacco is used, where is it from, how was the blend developed, how did you choose the violas, etc....

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Gimmicks... NUb sizes, stupid RG, all viaje, gurkha marketing, silly catchy names and over the top packaging, etc...

Info = what tobacco is used, where is it from, how was the blend developed, how did you choose the violas, etc....
You do realize selling cigars is a business right? Some of these companies feel they need the gimmicks to sell products and some don't. Just like buying any other product it's all about being an informed consumer.

Never found it that hard to get blend information from manufacturers websites or by simple google searches. Do you want them to put that info on a flyer in the box?

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
The bottom line and only thing you need...is a quality blend.
If you truly care about the cigar smoker you will focus on flavor and profile before the amount of money you'll make. We see it everyday on threads with the so called boutique blends. They release a hundred different blends and there great for the newer smoker or so-often smoker but being seasoned and willing to spend the money, means a cigar must have true quality and not the BS.
Not a fan of 60 ring either.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
That is a good point Tom, the OP is asking the questions because he is working on "new concepts", rather than worry about what's hot and what's not, why not just make a good cigar?

**the following has been added for comedic value, not to be taken seriously**

And for the answers you were looking for according to this thread:

1. No crazy shapes
2. No big ring gauges
3. No fancy boxes/bands
4. Include a Corona even if the blend profile doesn't work
5. No crazy name
6. No crazy marketing campaign
7. Blend sheet and history of the cigar/company/blender/roller/buncher included in every box
8. 10 count boxes

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
That's what I was getting at Craig...Forget the concepts or trends and just make a damn good cigar blend...That's all we ask for.
If you feel a concept is needed to booster sales, look at Pete, DPG and DE. They have shown that quality comes before the sale and I think this truly is looking out for the smoker first before the bottom line.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I am not saying that there are too many LEs (in fact, I am of the mind that you can NEVER have too many different blends/sizes of cigars), but when manufacturers have to constantly change their blends/marketing to top not only each other, but their even own releases, then people are going to naturally start to get immune to all of it, which means that they constantly have to go more and more over the top to get people's attention.

The sheer number of new releases every year is astounding (have you see our 2011 and 2012 New Release list? If not, it will surprise you, I assure you), and it is only getting worse in terms of numbers. Having said that, IMHO, there has never been a better time to be a cigar smoker (despite the gov regulations/taxes), as just about every new release is at least smokeable, and there are great choices at all price ranges.

60+ RG is NOT going to go away anytime soon, although I am noticing that more and more new manufacturers are releasing smaller RGs with their lineups (Crowned Heads just released a Lonsdale, and Undercrown Corona Gorda is coming out this month, just to name a few).

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Viaje has taken the LE thing too far, imo. It seems like they're going downhill in the flavor department too.

Personally, I'd like to see more PC, Corona and Corona grande cigars...and more perfectos. Perfectos were all the rage 100 years ago, why not now?

I'd also like to see more Sumatra leaf. It's a very undervalued wrapper leaf, in my opinion.

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gee, based on what i'm reading here, i'm almost afraid to admit i like to smoke larger ring gauges ........Are you going to take me less seriously because i enjoy the 60 RG's ??? Does this make me less of a BOTL ??? i sure hope not !!! I don't I'm less of a serious smoker ....... I also dont think i'm givin in to a gimmick, i just occasionally enjoy a large ring size .......

Sorry to get off topic ..........

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Corona ish sizes +1
Different bands for special/limted ed. +1
10 CT boxes +1
Flavor over strength +1
More info about the cigar with the boxes +1

My two cents: I wish they dated all boxes and would be really cool if they put dates on the back of the bands on Cigars. Oneoffs used to do this, I have a few with 2002 on the back of the bands.

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Corona ish sizes +1
Different bands for special/limted ed. +1
10 CT boxes +1
Flavor over strength +1
More info about the cigar with the boxes +1

My two cents: I wish they dated all boxes and would be really cool if they put dates on the back of the bands on Cigars. Oneoffs used to do this, I have a few with 2002 on the back of the bands.
Amen, best post yet !!!!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I'm not really sure what this means ..... can you please explain what botl type smokers are ???
On a whole the members of botl tend to be more educated about cigars in general over the average guys in the shops. JD could probably explain it better as he brought it up several times in Nicaragua.

I don't think anyone here thinks any less of you for what you prefer to smoke. They just have their own preference as to what they like. Big RG's aren't a gimmick in my opinion, some people just prefer them and they sell very well.

Last edited:

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I think BOTL smokers are passionate about cigars. As such they're going to be more educated and more exposed to all manner of different cigars. Because of that I think we tend to smoke more of what we actually like and less of what gets hyped. If that happens to be large ring gauge cigars, more power to ya. I think in general though the majority of BOTL prefers smaller ring gauge cigars. This was validated when we were voting on the size of the BOTL 2010 cigar.

Dan

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Gee, based on what i'm reading here, i'm almost afraid to admit i like to smoke larger ring gauges ........Are you going to take me less seriously because i enjoy the 60 RG's ??? Does this make me less of a BOTL ??? i sure hope not !!! I don't I'm less of a serious smoker ....... I also dont think i'm givin in to a gimmick, i just occasionally enjoy a large ring size .......

Sorry to get off topic ..........
Noooo, smoke what you like! I prefer smaller rg cigars but there are some cigars that smoke well in larger rg-es, it all depends on the blend.

I would suggest you try out some more smaller rg cigars. I personally find that they tend to be more flavorful.

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On a whole the members of botl tend to be more educated about cigars in general over the average guys in the shops. JD could probably explain it better as he brought it up several times in Nicaragua.

I don't think anyone here thinks any less of you for what you prefer to smoke. They just have their own preference as to what they like. Big RG's aren't a gimmick in my opinion, some people just prefer them and they sell very well.

Thank you for explaining !!!!! I do agree !!!!!!!

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Noooo, smoke what you like! I prefer smaller rg cigars but there are some cigars that smoke well in larger rg-es, it all depends on the blend.

I would suggest you try out some more smaller rg cigars. I personally find that they tend to be more flavorful.

I do smoke mostly smaller RG's !!!!! I guess you can say RG size doesn't matter with me ........

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally go after flavor before strength. I like the idea of 10ct. boxes, and moving to traditional sizes. These large rg and odd shapes do nothing from my perspective.

Hope we can get the industries attention on this as I have had the same discussion with many vendors.