What's new

OPINION: LP no. 9 or T52 Robustos or Toros?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just want to expand on something JayD said...

He happened to join me for our Xmas Party event at Twins Smokeshop and it was on the very day that I had received an air shipment of the 1st batch of ready to smoke T52s from the Y2009 T52 Stalk Cut Habano ligero crop so he and a few others got a few of them unbanded to sample.

Anyhow, I want everyone to be aware that the Y2009 crop was extremely thick, extremely oily, and an incredible pain in the ass to ferment - it took us far longer than we ever thought it would and is the reason why there was such a T52 shortage in Y2011.

Now for the good news - the cigars are finally ready to start being imported into the US again. You should start to see these showing up by late January on LP Authorized Account shelves. Also, they are exceptional in flavor in our opinion, the wrapper really turned out amazing.

Now for the confusing news - they are darker in hue than ever before, in fact they are the darkest Havana seed leaf I have ever seen on a cigar outside of a couple of the Cuban Limited Editions. They are glorious looking and tasting, but I can see how some consumers may wonder if we changed the wrapper to a maduro seed one.

We did NOT - this is 100% T52 Stalk Cut Habano grown in CT - no material changes whatsoever, it just ended up fermenting darker given its exceptional body and the time in the pilones it required to be right.

Some of our sales weenies argued we should have arrested the pilones earlier so as to maintain the colorado-maduro with a rojo hue achieve in the Y2007 & Y2008 crops, but we in the factory ignored them and did what was best for the flavor, aroma and burn of the leaf. We have always taken the standpoint that LPs are for the true connoisseur cigar smokers and that how a cigar tastes and smokes is the primary concern over any other. We smoke with our palate and nose, not out eyes...

Am I telling you they are ugly? Absolutely not, they are glorious looking, but considerably darker than any T52 before them. We are still fermenting some of the Y2009 crop so we wont know if this uber-dark color will be the case for the entire crop year, but I would say it is likely given the leaf we have reviewed to date.

As for the Y2010 crop, it is way too early too tell.

BR,

Steve Saka
Prez, Drew Estate

ps: We'd appreciate it if you would share this info if you happen to see a question about the T52 color on another forum or overhear it in a cigar shop. It is impossible for us to inform everyone, so thanks for your help.

pps: No. 9 or T52 blend... hmmm, that is like asking a father to choose which is his favorite son. It depends on the day and who last annoyed me... ;>
Wow, I LOVE this forum! :togetherl

How does this new crop's FLAVOR differ from past T52's (color not withstanding)? Is it sweeter, more peppery, ect? As you know, everyone's palate is different and I may want to rush out and stock up on old T52's too if they're quite a bit different (not that I'm going to ignore the NEW ones)!

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
LP-9 started as my favorite, smoked through a box of T-52 and realized I like them a little better. Still love both depending on my mood. Not to hijack but I will say that the Feral is possibly the best smoke all year and the L-40 is right behind it.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We have No.9 and T-52 in stock right now, except in the Double Corona size for anyone looking for them. (Mathen)

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
this is ALL a matter of personal preference. they are both great in their own right. i've always been partial to the t52 corona doble, but i had a robusto today that was great. aged 9's are great as well.
what i don't get is all this talk of pepper. pepper? dpg's have pepper. liga's are thick and rich.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, I LOVE this forum! :togetherl

How does this new crop's FLAVOR differ from past T52's (color not withstanding)? Is it sweeter, more peppery, ect? As you know, everyone's palate is different and I may want to rush out and stock up on old T52's too if they're quite a bit different (not that I'm going to ignore the NEW ones)!
IMO, lusher. Still has the pepper, but is slightly richer in flavor...

I don't know JD's opinion, but Nick and I like this crop year the best so far.

The difference is minuscule at best though, while I think a few people with note the color difference, taste and flavor-wise will not be something I expect most folks will discern. Gotta remember we literally smoke thousands of LPs ever year. In my own case, I smoke some variation of LPs eight or more times on most every day of the year, so I am intimately familiar with the flavor profile.

STS

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So far I enjoy the sweeter finish and biscuity notes of the LP9 over the meatiness of the T52. Both are great but I'm still trying to decide which vitolas I like the most. So far I've been most impressed by the robustos in terms of strength and flavor, waiting to see how some LP9/T52 belis and dobles will smoke.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So far I enjoy the sweeter finish and biscuity notes of the LP9 over the meatiness of the T52. Both are great but I'm still trying to decide which vitolas I like the most. So far I've been most impressed by the robustos in terms of strength and flavor, waiting to see how some LP9/T52 belis and dobles will smoke.
Well hurry up will ya! :eyepoke:

If I had all sizes in my possession, I'd SACRIFICE my entire day and smoke them one after the other...for the good of the BOTL! :cjump:

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Personal preference for me. Love both but if you are limited to toro or robusto size, I would go T52 toro as I think it is just a wonderful cigar. Now if you were talking belicosos, then I would go with the 9 belicoso. Again personal preference on my behalf and then you have to take into account what podman28 mentioned about availability of the T52 right now.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I love both, but probably give the T52 the slight edge as I think they are a little more complex. The No. 9 is a great cigar when I'm craving something a little sweeter though.