What's new

Opinions wanted for EDC pocket knife

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I am looking for a compact knife for slicing plug and rope pipe tobaccos. I have been carrying a SAK of some sort since I was a kid, but the main Blade isn't as sharp as I need for this and it doesn't lock. I was looking at the small Kershaws and the Ontario Rat/Rat II as that's around the price range I would prefer for a utility knife, but I really don't know anything about knives. Looking for something compact in the 3-3.5" Blade range, super sharp and retains sharpness well. Any help is appreciated.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I would definitely look at some of the Spyderco models. The Delica and Tenacious are both in that price range, have excellent edge retention, and are some of the easiest to use knives I own. If you like them, and you decide at some point you want something a little larger, the Paramilitary 2 is by far the knife I carry the most often. It's in my pocket pretty much anytime I have a pocket. Which is to say that I carry it way more than knives that cost three or four times as much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
That’s what I’ve used as my EDC for the last 5 years and I love it.
I have a Leek that I love. I also bought one for my wife. It's fine for her, but I beat the crap out of mine to the point where I've had to replace it several times. This one has lasted me a while, however, because I've taken slightly better care of it. I find that I have to oil it pretty often or the action gums up.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
If all you're doing is light-duty cutting, then as @rdomfoto said, any of the Kershaw Speedsafe models would be great. The Leek is my favorite that I own, but I also have a Brawler and a few others.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I a
If all you're doing is light-duty cutting, then as @rdomfoto said, any of the Kershaw Speedsafe models would be great. The Leek is my favorite that I own, but I also have a Brawler and a few others.

I also have the Brawler because I wanted the tanto blade and, for the most part, I really like it. But, after carrying the Leek, it took a while to get used to the thicker profile again.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The RAT is a great knife for general use, but it also uses AUS-8 steel which does not hold an edge as long. The Leek uses 1428CN which is going to hold and edge longer then the AUS-8 steel so it will require less maintenance to stay sharp. For a general use beat around knife either would be fine, the RAT will just take a little more touch up to stay sharp.
Personally I usually carry a knife with a more premium steel because I would rather take slightly more time sharpening or touching up my knives and have to touch them up less often. I really like the CTS-XHP steel and have had good luck with the Cold Steel knives that use it. My Code 4 is a great knife

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I a

I also have the Brawler because I wanted the tanto blade and, for the most part, I really like it. But, after carrying the Leek, it took a while to get used to the thicker profile again.
The Brawler is definitely a self defense blade. The tanto tip is really not as good as the Leek's drop point for household tasks like opening boxes and the like, but the stout handle and thick blade mean you'll have a great grip if things go south. Thankfully I've never had to rely on any of my blades to get me out of a sticky situation.

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kershaw my friend. Good blade retains sharpness well locks into place. Small compact normally find them for under 40. Check out Smith and Wesson also. They have a black ops line that I've found to be affordable and quality also

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Kershaw my friend. Good blade retains sharpness well locks into place. Small compact normally find them for under 40. Check out Smith and Wesson also. They have a black ops line that I've found to be affordable and quality also
Most Kershaws are good knifes. The Smith and Wesson (actually most Schrade knives) have gone down in quality since being bought recently. May still be a decent knife, but I'd beware of them at least for awhile until they get their manufacturing issues fixed after the sale. They have had at least two batches of knives go out with heat treatment issues since the sale.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Completely forgot that I had this one in my toolbox, I think I got it about 10-12 years ago. Too little non-serated area on the blade for this purpose, but a decent knife I think?