What's new

Opinions wanted for EDC pocket knife

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most Kershaws are good knifes. The Smith and Wesson (actually most Schrade knives) have gone down in quality since being bought recently. May still be a decent knife, but I'd beware of them at least for awhile until they get their manufacturing issues fixed after the sale. They have had at least two batches of knives go out with heat treatment issues since the sale.
Wow didn't know that. Thanks for the info

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've carried a sog flash ii, with a partially serrated drop point blade, for the last 9 yrs, and it's never let me down. Aus 8 steel is hard AF.. takes a bit to sharpen, but holds an edge for a long time (much longer than my 1095hc or other, lesser metals). I sharpen my knife about twice a year, and I use this thing like a tool.. My wife carries a sog twitch ii, same steel, and assisted opening, but much smaller.. I have to sharpen her blade about once a year, maybe longer.. both are around $40, and I can personally vouch for almost a decade of hard service. I own several other "nicer" knives, that honestly, don't seem to wear as well as this cheap sog. My benchmade wouldn't keep an edge and looked worn out after a year of sharpening.. my Spyderco slings apart every so often.. my schrade and bucks have never kept an edge, or took one honestly, and Leatherman is just too damn bulky for a pocket, but I do carry a wave in a maxpedition mag pouch when going about in the woods.
Long winded, and a little off topic,
but.. Yeah :playful:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're willing to spend a little coin on a knife that's going to last you, the ZT 0350 is a phenomenal knife. I've had mine just about a year now and it cuts just as well as it did the first time I used it. I have carried it every day since Nov of last year.

Beardfellows

J.D.-Chief Executive Beardfellow
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP: What type of knife did you decide on? I agree with the suggestions and recommendations for the Onion Leek. It's a fantastic little knife that I carried for the better part of two years. I've also heard great things about ZT knives like the one @5280Nomad mentioned, but have never owned one.

Alos, are you looking for a fixed blade or a folding knife? If a fixed blade suits your fancy, I can't recommend ESEE knives enough. They're made from 1095 carbon steel, hold a razor's edge for a ridiculously long time, and have one of the best warranties in the business (if a blade ever breaks or fails, they replace it for free- no questions asked, no receipt needed). They make a smaller fixed blade called the IZULA that I carry daily. I've used it for everything from box cutter to prybar and it's still going strong. The only catch is the 1095 steel will rust, so you need oil it occasionally, and you can use edible oil like vegetable or olive oil if you're using the blade for food prep. For the quality and usefulness of the blade, it's a fair trade-off for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my strider. I used to go through knives once a year whether it’s the action getting too loose or the lock breaking. Cm154 was fantastic to sharpen and held its edge better than any other knife I’ve used. Alas when I cracked the spine it was warrantied with s30v, which doesn’t sharpen as well.
I had a zt550 or something, but I made the mistake of ordering it in s35v. Terrible to sharpen and never holds its edge. But then again it could be my terrible sharpening techniques.
If it’s not a hard use knife I love the thin profile of spyderco in vg10 or maybe an Emerson.
Curious to see who carries a fixed blade daily and how you carry it. we do at work but they are skinners and not for when we are in public. I just can’t find a comfortable way to do so.

Cheers,
Lee

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
OP: What type of knife did you decide on? I agree with the suggestions and recommendations for the Onion Leek. It's a fantastic little knife that I carried for the better part of two years. I've also heard great things about ZT knives like the one @5280Nomad mentioned, but have never owned one.

Alos, are you looking for a fixed blade or a folding knife? If a fixed blade suits your fancy, I can't recommend ESEE knives enough. They're made from 1095 carbon steel, hold a razor's edge for a ridiculously long time, and have one of the best warranties in the business (if a blade ever breaks or fails, they replace it for free- no questions asked, no receipt needed). They make a smaller fixed blade called the IZULA that I carry daily. I've used it for everything from box cutter to prybar and it's still going strong. The only catch is the 1095 steel will rust, so you need oil it occasionally, and you can use edible oil like vegetable or olive oil if you're using the blade for food prep. For the quality and usefulness of the blade, it's a fair trade-off for me.
I ended up with the Kershaw 1760 Skyline. I wanted a compact folder that had at least a 3" blade and grip on the chassis. This knife fits the bill perfectly. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!