What's new

Opus X - Worth the price?

blind2reason

My Mom Thinks I'm Cool
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hearing about the Opus X, so I looked them up and wow.

I'm still new to the cigar world, so the sticker price on some of these sticks is still a shock to me. Are these smokes that amazing or is it simply just a limited supply that causes the price to spike? Am I paying for an amazing smoke or just a smoke comprable to my regular sticks that's in limited supply?

I plan on finding out, but I'm just going to buy a single (which is about the price of a 5 pack of some of my other favs).

If anyone with experience on this issue could chime in, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'm curious to know what high sticker smokes you've tried that did not meet your expectations.

Thanks!

-Blind:cbig:

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
all my opinion, but here goes. Sometimes they really are worth the high price. Especially the petite lancero's, and especially when my taste buds start screaming for one. That being said, you shouldn't pay more than 12-15 bucks for one, they aren't as rare as they once were so there shouldn't be a mark-up to $25-25 a pop like is sometimes seen.

Most people say they are better at 2-3 years age, but I haven't been doing this long enough to find out. Trying to grab a few now to stash away. I suck at leaving them alone.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have seen them go for as much as $60 for a single. They have got a cult following now which drives the prices high. The stick itself is a fantastic stick as long as it can be purchased in the $14-$20 price range. I try to keep a half dozen of them and a half dozen of the Anejo(maduro version) at all times in the humi. Always a good go to stick.

blind2reason

My Mom Thinks I'm Cool
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being deployed I'm restricted to online retailers. I can't find Opus X at CI, where I prefer to make my purchases, but
Code:
www.bestcigarprices.com
has them for the markup you think I should avoid. I want to try it though, so I may cave and shell out the 30 or so bucks to get it.. unless anyone knows a site that has a better deal?

Thanks for the replies,

-Blind:cbig:

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Don't pay $30. Be patient. They pop up for sale around here once in a while. Keep posting, get to know the site and the people here, and you'll gain access to the BST and get some for an acceptable price. Thanks for your service!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Only one I really like is the Petite Lancero. I will buy them but like to let them sit for a year or two before I really enjoy them. They are spendy but not much more expensive than other cigars I smoke so it's really a moot point. Do not spend more than a buck or two more than retail. As it was said some pop up for sale on here from time to time.

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I most def wouldnt pay 30$ but definately worth trying if you've never had one. keep your eyes open and im sure they will pop up around these stomping grounds. Cheers! If i make it to BAF on my way out ill gift one to you. i think i got a lost city sitting around somewhere in my humi.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Some have blown me away, and others were embarrassingly bad. I had a fifteen year old "A" when my son was born and it was one of the Top 10 smokes of all-time for me. Recent releases have been better than a few years ago. The petite lanceros are good, but i have also enjoyed two of their new sizes, the Love Affair and the Pussy Cat.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It is a cigar that needs a few years of age to shine. If you are on deployment, ignore them until you come back.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Great cigar, IMHO. If you get them at MSRP they are well worth it. Far better than all these LE Viaje, etc... that people pay about the same amount for(Again IMHO and at MSRP)

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I always love this question cuz I sometimes even ask it still, lol. Only you can be the judge of a cigar being worth the price of admission. I find some cigars are and some cigars are not at all. Taste is just way to subjective and my opinion isn't going to make that experience any better, but there is the power of suggestion. In my honest opinion I love opus fresh aged they're all wonderful. Now in my opinion the 2008 and early 2009 were not that great, light shaded wrappers in opinion were a problem. It's a mystery but I think they were using aged tobacco, aged more than the usual. I think maybe a hurricane from a previous year might have been behind this, but I still didn't like the wrappers from that time period. This is just my theory. My suggestion to you though would be to wait until you are back stateside to purchase opus as the online retailers are going to rip you off in a major way! Opus is released right before Fathers Day and sometimes in the summer and right before Christmas and Thanksgiving. Lately you can still find them in many shops as the market is full of special cigars and the economy is suckin!

ThatGuy3510

Alpha-nerd
Rating - 94.1%
36   2   1
+1 to Opus being better with age. I've had several, and I tend to not smoke them for a while because I still consider them 'special' smokes. The best ones I've had have been 1.5-2 years old (Petite Lance ftw)

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
This is a very subjective question. It depends on if you like the cigar and how much you are willing to pay. When I started smoking cigars I thought Tatuaje's were too pricey. Then as my tastes became more refined and I learned more about cigars I realized that that they are great cigars with high quality tobacco and I no longer think they are pricey and they are in my regular rotation.

I think quality, aging, and availability and other variables about the tobacco being used have to be considered when looking at the price of a cigar. I think most, if not all, boutique cigar manufacturer's are in business because they love cigars and are basing their prices to make some profit but not gouging the customer. They want customer loyalty.

Just my two cents.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I wouldn't buy them for more than MSRP. It's a very good stick and nice to have in the rotation.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Certain vitolas are better then others...Stick to the PL, Love Affair, Pussycat, xXx and DR...

Do NOT buy them for over MSRP, there are places that sell them for that (or just keep checking wades, someone has a sampler up for like once a week)...

~brooks

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
It really depends on a few factors. We all have different tastes, and our own tastes will most likely fluctuate with time. So, it's a decision you have to make for yourself. It also depends on budget; if you're living on a very limited budget, no cigar is worth $30. However, if you're financially blessed, that's not the case.

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke! :cbig:

But, IMHO, they're not worth it. Granted, I've not tried every vitola, but from what I've had, although great smokes, not worth the price tag and fanfare. But again, this is just my personal taste, so don't judge the cigar by my opinion. I once had an Opus followed by a Diesel and actually preferred the Diesel. It may have been a horrible Opus, an amazing Diesel, something up with my taste buds, etc. Who knows? :dunno: