What's new

Oven-roasted Prime Rib

Rating - 100%
209   0   0
27006 309th Ave SE, Ravensdale, WA, 98054
Here's what I do. When the calf is born I let him suckle for two weeks, then I catch him, hold him down and band him. After about a month his balls dry up and fall off. Makes a nice steer. Then I raise it upon grass and grain for two years. About two months before slaughter I give it oats and molasses (barnyard buffet) so the meat will be sweet. Then I call my "hit man" (butcher), he comes over and puts it down, in and out it 20 min. I let it hang in his cooler for two weeks, then we go and do the cut and wrap. I like to keep it simple, coat with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, into a 500 degree oven to sear, then lower the temp to 300. Depending on the weight of the roast I take it out (we like medium rare), rest for 20 min. and cut and serve. Awsome!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
We do a rosemary garlic paste at work. Coat the whole roast, cut the flap back 2/3rds. Then stuff more paste under said flap and secure it with butchers twine. We cook ours at 500 30-40mins. Down to 350 for 2hrs. shut off oven and leave in for another 130-2hrs. Whoever opens the oven door doesn't get to eat any........... (We actually put a sign on the door. Open and die) Comes out right around 140-145.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Is it missing the bones?

I have a recipe on here for a mustard herb standing rib roast. It was killer. Looks good, but fat and bones is flavor.
Bones are intact for roasting.........I cut them out and then tie them back on so it's cooked with the bones. Doing it this way allows for even-slicing and I'm not messing around with cutting the bones out when it's hot.

Jeff L.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Looks great man... I've never tried one but this thread has definitely put me over the edge!

Stupid question though... how does your electric thermometer work? Do you manually check the internal temp every so often, or do you have some sort of wireless gauge showing the temp on the readout? Does it have an alarm once it reaches your desired temp? My main concern of doing a roast is overcooking the damn thing!

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Looks great man... I've never tried one but this thread has definitely put me over the edge!

Stupid question though... how does your electric thermometer work? Do you manually check the internal temp every so often, or do you have some sort of wireless gauge showing the temp on the readout? Does it have an alarm once it reaches your desired temp? My main concern of doing a roast is overcooking the damn thing!
NO question is a stupid question! You insert a probe (waiting for mattbell to make some funny comment...) into the meat that connects to the base, set your desired internal temp. and it goes off like an alarm once it reaches that.....no need to open the oven at all. It also tells you what the current temp. is and has a timer.

Below is a link to the exact one that I have:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/94371397-taylor-digital-oven-thermometer-and-timer-with-stainless-faceplate/;_ylt=AuRpgSBcxii2plAH49EZvtEbFt0A

Jeff L.