What's new

Paging Dr. Mom/Dad

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Ok guys, my wife just called and my 4 year old son'e eye is swollen and glued shut with eye gunk. She used a washcloth and warm water to get the eye open, and my son is in a good mood, but he is tough and wouldn't tell us if it hurt anyway. From the sound of it, it can't be comfortable. So have any of you had this issue with your kids, or yourselves?

What caused it?

Did it need medical attention?

We are going to watch it for the next few hours and see what happens.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It could be pink eye. He might have been rubbing his eye too much and kept irritating it. If the swelling doesn't go down in a few hours I would send him to the doctor.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sounds like it could be conjunctivitis (pink eye), you should take him to see a doctor, especially if he begins to run a fever. It can be contagious depending on the cause and if it is bacterial, he should be on antibiotics. Schedule an appointment and go see the doctor.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yep after reading the symptoms and causes of pink eye, I think it's bacterial Pink eye, and will require antibiotics.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds like Pink eye to me, I had it a few years ago in both my eyes and it was not excruciating pain, just a discomfort. Does need antibiotics though and practice good hand washing for a while, cause it is real contagious.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. Can't say it enough, at four years old it's gonna be tough to have him not rub his eye, but do your best to get him to understand that rubbing his eye is like french kissing your sister, it may feel good at first, but later you'll pay the price. LOL, no pun intended on the "Price" thing!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well, Its an eye and you only get two of them so , Go in for a tune up!! 3 kids and eyes are about the only thing we go as soon as a a problem raises it's head!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It sounds like pink eye and you and your wife need to be careful, it's extremely contagious. My daughters get this at least once a year as it circulates through school and when they get it, I wash my hands between 30 - 40 times a day....no exaggeration. I've had it and the worst part is the constant gunk build-up. I wear contacts and have to get a new pair anytime I get pink eye, it sucks.

The good news is, the doctor will give you eye drops, probably a two or three times per day dose. The symptoms will clear up quickly, usually within a day or two but make sure you keep giving the eye drops for the duration the doctor recommends. And again, wash wash wash wash wash your hands and refrain from touching your own eyes.

If it's not pink eye...then he's a zombie (South Park episode)

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. Can't say it enough, at four years old it's gonna be tough to have him not rub his eye, but do your best to get him to understand that rubbing his eye is like french kissing your sister, it may feel good at first, but later you'll pay the price. LOL, no pun intended on the "Price" thing!
It sounds like pink eye and you and your wife need to be careful, it's extremely contagious. My daughters get this at least once a year as it circulates through school and when they get it, I wash my hands between 30 - 40 times a day....no exaggeration. I've had it and the worst part is the constant gunk build-up. I wear contacts and have to get a new pair anytime I get pink eye, it sucks.

The good news is, the doctor will give you eye drops, probably a two or three times per day dose. The symptoms will clear up quickly, usually within a day or two but make sure you keep giving the eye drops for the duration the doctor recommends. And again, wash wash wash wash wash your hands and refrain from touching your own eyes.

If it's not pink eye...then he's a zombie (South Park episode)
I think you might have your answer, go to doctor get meds and wash yours and his hands.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Ok they are going to the DR in 20 minutes. I'll let you know what is is after that. the nurse was going to just call in a prescription for pink eye, but since the eyelids are so swollen she says it coiuld be something else and wants to see him. Give it a couple hours and I'll update you. Thanks for all the help.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Ok they are going to the DR in 20 minutes. I'll let you know what is is after that. the nurse was going to just call in a prescription for pink eye, but since the eyelids are so swollen she says it coiuld be something else and wants to see him. Give it a couple hours and I'll update you. Thanks for all the help.
Good luck!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i used to get something called a steye as a kid. everyone would ask me "what's a steye?" and I would say "its an ST in your eye" :nodlaugh:

hope it is something simple and does not require drugs.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Ok they are going to the DR in 20 minutes.
DR...let's see...Delivery Room? Nah, that don't make no sense.

Digital Retroscopy...whatever that is...:dunno:

Damn Racetrack! Strange place to take your kid who has the pink eye.

I don't know where or what the DR is, but i'd suggest gettin the kid to a doctor. :yes:

Good luck dave.

:smokingco

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
DR...let's see...Delivery Room? Nah, that don't make no sense.

Digital Retroscopy...whatever that is...:dunno:

Damn Racetrack! Strange place to take your kid who has the pink eye.

I don't know where or what the DR is, but i'd suggest gettin the kid to a doctor. :yes:

Good luck dave.

:smokingco

Dominican Republic? Is health care that expensive in the US?