What's new

Pastrami

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Have had a smoked corn beef sandwiches from Schwartz's in Montreal… boy are those dang things yummy. Had to switch it up from poutine at least one meal while there hahaha

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
hmm. Gonna have to do some research on making my own pastrami. If it turns out looking like this one I think I'll be happy

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Looks incredible. Used to be a huge pastrami fan, but so rare nowadays to find some with any flavor at all. I suspect most store-bought is just 'leaned' right out of flavor, but that there looks mighty tasty.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The easy way is just buy premade corned beef, especially if you have a good local butcher shop that makes it regularly. Unfortunately in southern California the only time it really shows up in stores is around st paddys day so I have resorted to corning my own briskets.

As far as the brine goes I use Alton Browns Corned beef recipe only doubled to accommodate a packer size brisket.

Prep for smoking is super simple, Plain old yellow mustard massage as a base to get everything to stick nicely, followed by a LIGHT dusting of 50/50 garlic and onion powder from a shaker and then a HEAVY coating of black pepper.

Thats it! I smoke it with apple wood at 225*-245* until a it feels relaxed or a tooth pick goes into it like its butter. Generally speaking they take between 10-12 hours.