What's new

Pastrami

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
The easy way is just buy premade corned beef, especially if you have a good local butcher shop that makes it regularly. Unfortunately in southern California the only time it really shows up in stores is around st paddys day so I have resorted to corning my own briskets.

As far as the brine goes I use Alton Browns Corned beef recipe only doubled to accommodate a packer size brisket.

Prep for smoking is super simple, Plain old yellow mustard massage as a base to get everything to stick nicely, followed by a LIGHT dusting of 50/50 garlic and onion powder from a shaker and then a HEAVY coating of black pepper.

Thats it! I smoke it with apple wood at 225*-245* until a it feels relaxed or a tooth pick goes into it like its butter. Generally speaking they take between 10-12 hours.
Fairly certain I can follow that recipe!! I'll smoke it until the internal temp goes above the 165 deg plateau...which is the recommended practice for smoking brisket.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
OK, here come the questions...

Do you really brine for 10 days?
Do you just rinse off the brine and then rub it and smoke it?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yes I brine for 10 days, I have seen recipes with soak time ranging anywhere from 7-14 days so 10 is pretty standard for pickling a brisket. I am clearly no rocket scientist though so I stick with the recipe haha.

Yup I just give it a quick rinse in cold water and pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel before prepping it and throwing it straight into the smoker.

I have also made pastrami with the prepackaged corned beefs in jet-rods recipe and found them to occasionally be extremely salty and I can only assume they are over brined? Soaking them in fresh water for a few hours can definitely help reduce this but if you have the time pickling your own brisket at home is well worth the little bit of extra effort.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
As far as temp goes, I never smoke beef (briskets) to a set temp I always go by feel. In my experience beef is by far the least consistent and the least forgiving cut to smoke, the window for perfection is very very small.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh sumbich that looks good....I love pastrami! I understand that Caligula killed himself on a triple decker pastrami sammy while doing some very unsavory things with 12 of his concubines. Some potato salad and a few Claussen pickles would really finish that picture.