What's new

Penn State

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I think you're going to learn more about Paterno and the culture that existed in Happy Valley as the days go by, and it's not going to be complimentary. They existed in a cocoon, making rules as they saw fit. Here is a good article by a PSU alum talking about how the football program operated in a bubble, and as a result, how this scandal was handled really shouldn't surprise anyone.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/2011/11/on_paterno.html

And according to this article, both PSU and the Second Mile Foundation had the same general counsel during the time of some of these incidents. No wonder these people could get away with anything.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-10/paterno-assistant-s-foundation-grew-as-sex-allegations-persisted.html

And that, boys and girls, is how you tarnish the image of a once proud university. Everyone in the administration and coaching staff should be castrated.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Tip of the Iceberg is what I am thinking. McQuery probably would have had his ass kicked if he tried to attack Sandusky, he could have been afraid....however, I believe he was compelled to report so much more. Pull a fire alarm? Maybe??? Dial 911? Maybe????

Maybe Sandusky got to him, too.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Just wondering if Mike McQuery is protected because he did say something. I know it sounds very stupid but there are laws that do protect people who come forward with accusations. I do not know for a fact if that is the case. If you do read the Grand Jury testimony, a janitor saw Sandusky with a young boy in the showers giving him oral sex. The janitor told his boss and fellow workers about it and they all seemed to feel that if they came forward they could lose their jobs. I am a huge Penn State fan and I find this all very disgusting. If someone did in fact hide all this info they should be held accountable to the fullest. Those guilty will never really suffer as much as the kids who were abused.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
The "we can get away with anything" culture is not exclusive to Penn State, by any means. This is pervasive in all the big college sports. And we wonder why the pro athletes get themselves in so much trouble? Because they've gotten away it it so long, and now the Universities aren't their to cover it up for them.

(please note, I'm not saying that all university sports programs have sick sex abuse going on, just the culture of getting away with anything)

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The way I see it...this whole fiasco has been escalated by people "not doing enough"...its been said time and time again that JoePa (and others) should have done more than what they did...

It seems to me that the Penn State Board of Trustees is just continuing this trend by allowing McQueary and others that had some degree of knowledge to remain in place. They fired the President and the Head Coach, but left other people who are just as morally responsible in place.

If firing Joe Paterno was a move the board HAD TO MAKE for the good of the University...then firing EVERYONE else who had any knowledge of the events is a move they SHOULD have HAD TO MAKE as well...

EPIC FAIL ON ALL COUNTS.

Sandusky is obviously a piece of shit and he'll have his time to taste his own medicine in prison, but McQueary is a worthless piece as well and it sickens me that he still has a job and, in general, is held in a more positive light than Joe Paterno in this whole thing...

You SAW it happening and walked away...you piece of shit.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Trust me, the program is going to be nuked. The big flow of shit is just coming to the surface.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Define the right thing. He did "technically" do what he was required to do. He told the AD about it. But he DIDN'T do the morally ethical thing to do and report it to the authorities. For that he is as wrong as anyone. Can't look past that IMO.
Ratzinger was in the same boat, and he still got to be Pope.

Different moral standards for football coaches, I guess.

-Charles

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
While I agree that everyone involved has to go, they need to go in time. JoePa was first, cut the head off...

If they terminated everyone, right now, PSU would have to forfeit the remaining 3 games, pay tons in fines due to it and in turn it punishes the current players that have nothing to do with this scandal. While life is definitely bigger than football, all these coaches will be gone (IMO). Whatever new coach they bring in will bring his own staff in, and I would bet he wouldn't even think about retaining any of the current staff that could be possibly tied to this situation.

So, let them play out their three games and then they'll all be without a job anyway (well, possible bowl game).

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
i can't believe the the students are rioting and protesting in paterno's honor. football over a molested child?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
They are not protesting for Paterno because of the football program. I dont agree with them but the man is a legend, not only in the football world but also for his charity, monetary contributions and general positive contributions towards PSU and the community as a whole. I think the protest is more of an attempt (horrible approach) at letting him leave with his dignity (not going to happen) instead of being kicked to the curb. Its a sign of support for the good deeds he has done throughout his life and highly doubt (at least I really hope) it has anything to do with the remainder of the season.
That could be wishful thinking though.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
F*&k him and his good deeds. All washed away with the bath water knowing what we know now IMO.