What's new

Pinar del Rio Habano Sun Grown

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Last night the family got together with Frank and his family for dinner. Afterwards we took the kiddos down the street to play at a local school playground. Twas a beautiful evening, especially considering the oppressive heat the last few weeks, and Frank and I took the opportunity to light up a cigar. I grabbed a PDR Habano Sun Grown Robusto to smoke, intending that should something happen where I couldn't finish that I wouldn't be too disgruntled about it.

Pinar del Rio is a company you don't often hear much about, but has some damn good stuff. They're probably most known around here for doing the 2010 BOTL Small Batch cigar. The Sun Grown is comprised of a Nicaraguan/Dominican filler, a Criollo 98 binder grown in the Dominican Republic, and a Habano Sun Grown wrapper grown in the Dominican Republic. The Robusto is a typical 5 x 50. When I pulled the cello off the cigar I was met with a rich tobacco aroma. The wrapper is a slightly mottled medium to dark brown color and the seams are tight. Feels well packed and not much give when pinched. Punched, torched, and away we went...

Initial flavors were a cedary tobacco with some sweet creaminess to it. It pretty much made me do a double take as I hadn't expected it to be quite this good. The cedary tobacco was joined in short order by a slight leather on the finish.

The burn was progressing nicely with a vibrant, white ash and a nice straight burn line. The ash was holding for 1-2 inches at a time.

By the middle of the cigar there was a floral-like aroma through the nose. Almost fruity at times. The cedar had died down to leave a creamy, slightly sweet tobacco flavor with a little leather on the finish. The burn was still straight and the ash was still layering nicely. My plan for bringing a cigar I wouldn't mind putting down backfired, this one is good :thumbsup:.

In the last third the cigar upped the strength a little, but even then this is a solid medium (maybe slightly med-full at the end depending on your tolerances) body, full flavor cigar. The flavors remained pretty consistent to the end, but muddled a bit at the nub. Overall very happy with my choice...

I was very surprised by this cigar. I hadn't expected it to be bad, but I hadn't really expected it to be excellent either. I don't know why as I love both the BOTL cigar they did and the 1878 Capa Maduro. I have had the Oscuro wrapper in this line and it was only okay so that is probably why. With the price point on these (about $5.00) I think they're a good value also. Though I wish I'd stocked up back when they were blowing out the old stock on CI :hanghead:.

Dan

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Great review. Thank you.
Got a box of churches on cbid sub $40 a couple months ago and they have been my primary golfing sticks this summer.
Also got a couple fivers of lanceros from there and in that size, this cigar really shines. I just get a whole different dimension of intensity of the best flavors of this blend/wrapper.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Dan forgot to his include his "Danielson Karate Kid" picture...

Great review, Dan!! Love the pic at the end, with the shadows... and you forgot to mention how you were actually rushed at the very end by your very naked son trying to escape the house... LOL

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Dan that is one of the gayest pictures I have ever seen. Just sayin. But good review as I happen to like this stick for a smoke at the Airport. Good and inexpensive.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Great review.

I keep eyeing the Pinar Del Rios up and have never purchased one. I think it's about time I put in an order. I hear nothing but good things.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've ordered a sampler from famous smoke to tryout their brand, I like their speach in IPCPR. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkQDBnRpA7A"]Cigars for the working class [/ame]

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Great review man... this was one of the first PDRs that I've smoked... gifted to me at my B&M by a friend. It was the same size. I agree. This was a surprisingly good smoke. The pepper was definitely more pronounced in the first third, but I also caught a bitter cocoa taste initially. Defiantly got some of the other tastes that you noted... another excellent post.

My stick had a second band, "Liga cubana no. 5"... maybe it was a different stick, but I'm not a Pinar del rio expert.

I agree with bigbwalls... maybe it's time to consider picking some of these up.

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Greta review bro...Love the Crane! LOL
I wasn't a big fan of these. Tried all the blends and found them kinda boring. That was along time ago so who knows...they may have gotten better.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
My stick had a second band, "Liga cubana no. 5"... maybe it was a different stick, but I'm not a Pinar del rio expert.
There was a packaging change here a while back. The newer sticks have a second band up top and a cloth band on the foot. The one I smoked is of the older variety. I have not smoked any of the newer sticks in any of the blends so cannot say from personal experience, but what I have heard from others is that the newer sticks are not the same as the older ones :dunno:.

I wasn't a big fan of these. Tried all the blends and found them kinda boring. That was along time ago so who knows...they may have gotten better.
See above, maybe you'll like 'em now :dunno:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I wasn't exactly thrilled with the ones I've had either. Although I'll certainly agree the small batch and the capa maduro were very nice smokes. The sungrown I bought had the newer wrapping style you mentioned though, so maybe that is the difference.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just acquired one of these in a trade. Sounds like it will be a great smoke. Thanks for the review!