What's new

Pipe cleaning pictorial - for the pipe n00bs.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
My cleaning setup. Toolkit for resurrecting estate pipes ( from Russ622). My pipe cleaners. Clean rag, q-tips, pipe cleaner/sweetner.

Pipe cleaners, from left to right, bristled, straight, tapered, and churchwarden. These are the cleaners i keep on hand.

Sav 320 (from Russ622) and the pipe cleaner/sweetner i use. U can use ur fav alcohol, everclear being a fav of most pipers i know. I dont drink so i prefer the cleaner/sweetner.

Stem removed. Ive read the u should always turn the stem clockwise whether inserting or removing. Shown here with the stem on a cob to show the filter. I personally toss the filter but if you prefer using the filter i believe the Dr. Grabow filters fit the MM cobs.

I dip a straight pipe cleaner into my cleaning solution and clean from the tenon end first. Cleaning out the heavier crub so as to not drag it through the bit.

Then using the clean end of the pipe cleaner i dip it into the cleaning solution and clean from the bit end.

Then i use a dry tapered cleaner, starting from the bit end and thru the tenon. Repeating the above steps till the pipe cleaner come out clean.

Using a clean soft cloth, dipping it into cleaning solution if necessary, i clean the stem and tenon.

Using a straight cleaner dipped in solution i clean the shank. Being careful not to gouge the bottom of the bowl. Use ur fingers as a "stop" so u dont go to far.

Then using q-tips dipped in solution, i clean the mortise. Clean until a dry q-tip comes out clean.

I always use a q-tip dipped in solution and swirl it around inside the bowl to give it a little cleaning followed with my clean dry cloth.

A clean Sav 320.

It is best to let pipe rest over night to dry completely. Then pack and smoke.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great tutorial, thank you. I just bought my first pipe and samples of tobacco a few days ago and am slowly learning the ins-and-outs of pipe smoking. I was not aware that there were different types of pipe cleaners, I think the ones I bought were just straight ones.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
The bristled are for really nasty dried crud. If u clean regular u may never need them. The tapered are great. But u can get by with just straight. If I could only buy one kind it would be the tapered tho.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanx. None of this is original to me. Just stuff ive picked up from other pipers. When it comes to pipes there isnt an original thought in my head. Ive gotten everything from others.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I will have to keep my eye out for a kit; I have never seen one at a B&M. I wonder if my gun kit would work?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Yep I definately appreciate it with the pics for us newb pipers, I know no one within driving distance that smokes a pipe so have also picked up everything online

Next time you do a restoration can you do a similar pictorial

Also how often do you go through this process I tend to run a pipe cleaner through after I'm done and periodically do a little more thorough cleaning but maybe every week or so with the pipes I'm smoking more frequently

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Yep I definately appreciate it with the pics for us newb pipers, I know no one within driving distance that smokes a pipe so have also picked up everything online

Next time you do a restoration can you do a similar pictorial

Also how often do you go through this process I tend to run a pipe cleaner through after I'm done and periodically do a little more thorough cleaning but maybe every week or so with the pipes I'm smoking more frequently

Dave, i generally just clean when i notice them getting cruddy. I really need to clean more often but i smoke during my commute mostly so i usually have to wait till im sitting at home to do it.

I topped a thread of when i did some restorations. And i can definitely add more when i do my next one.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Problem with this pipe is the stem was loose. So i used a soft flame and little at a time, i heated the tenon and let it cool till i got a more snug fit. Then reamed the bowl and did a normal cleaning.