What's new

Plume or Mold???

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about that.

Source told me "White mould is harmless and experienced smokers understand it is unavoidable from time to time. It is not really necessary to wipe white mould away, but if you do use a soft brush or dry soft cloth, some people even say they like the taste, others say that it makes no difference, if these are going into your humidor then make sure the humidity is not too high and the temperature is also low. It is not possible to eradicate mould spores from a humidor because mould spores are in our whole environment, make sure your humidor has the correct humidity/temperature, ensure it has humidity level of 68 to 72 percent and about 70F"

After I kept pressing for replacement, I was instructed to mail unsmoked cigars to vendor (interestingly, address is in NY) and would be refunded for that portion of shipment. Not sure how I feel about that.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Obviously it's 100% your choice. I've bought thousands of cigars in the last couple years (which is insane when I write it like that) and less than 10 have come with mold. Each time I wiped it off, let them sit for a few days and then put them in the humi. No problems. Each time I also notified the vendor (3 different vendors). Two offered me a no questions asks refund/replacement (my choice) and one pulled the whole "it's plume, not mold. If you really knew cigars you'd know that". Needless to say, the 3rd vendor gets no more of my business.

Honestly, given your situation I would just wipe them down. In part, because I think they'll be fine. And in part because I have a feeling a return might "never arrive".

If you do wipe them down, just dampen a paper towel with distilled water (don't make it too wet, really just damp) and gently wipe down the wrappers.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Obviously it's 100% your choice. I've bought thousands of cigars in the last couple years (which is insane when I write it like that) and less than 10 have come with mold. Each time I wiped it off, let them sit for a few days and then put them in the humi. No problems. Each time I also notified the vendor (3 different vendors). Two offered me a no questions asks refund/replacement (my choice) and one pulled the whole "it's plume, not mold. If you really knew cigars you'd know that". Needless to say, the 3rd vendor gets no more of my business.

Honestly, given your situation I would just wipe them down. In part, because I think they'll be fine. And in part because I have a feeling a return might "never arrive".

If you do wipe them down, just dampen a paper towel with distilled water (don't make it too wet, really just damp) and gently wipe down the wrappers.
Appreciate your thoughts. For me, I am heading out camping and that was the specific reason I bought the cigars. I wanted to be smoking, drinking some whiskey, and spending some time with the kids (close enough to see them, BUT not close enough to hear them). Sending them back disrupts that schedule. I expected, maybe unrealistically, for them to just send a replacement without the request to send them back. I concede part of that is to get extra cigars, but figure that is the price they pay for sending cigars out with mold on them. I will definitely consider this the next time I place an order.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
You will not get extra cigars from P. You will get banned if you push the issue with that vendor. They will take back up to one order. You'll get a reshipment in maybe 6 weeks. Keep the Moldy D4s. Wipe them off. Place back in box and keep at 65%rh. They're fine to smoke.
Cheers

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Just remember this as an easy way to tell. If it looks like a crystalline patch, it is most likely plume. If it looks hairy, like green mood on cheese, it's mold. As long as it's not on the foot, wipe it off and enjoy it,

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I know one very reputable dealer that will tell you when there is a bit of mold. He just wipes them off. It seems very common. Smoke them and enjoy your camping trip.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that.

Source told me "White mould is harmless and experienced smokers understand it is unavoidable from time to time. It is not really necessary to wipe white mould away, but if you do use a soft brush or dry soft cloth, some people even say they like the taste, others say that it makes no difference, if these are going into your humidor then make sure the humidity is not too high and the temperature is also low. It is not possible to eradicate mould spores from a humidor because mould spores are in our whole environment, make sure your humidor has the correct humidity/temperature, ensure it has humidity level of 68 to 72 percent and about 70F"

After I kept pressing for replacement, I was instructed to mail unsmoked cigars to vendor (interestingly, address is in NY) and would be refunded for that portion of shipment. Not sure how I feel about that.
Thanks for the update.

It's not the kind of customer service I enjoy and I will avoid this vendor.

This is why we should be including vendors names. It enables the rest of us to decide who we should avoid if we choose to do so.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Thanks for the update.

It's not the kind of customer service I enjoy and I will avoid this vendor.

This is why we should be including vendors names. It enables the rest of us to decide who we should avoid if we choose to do so.
Including sources for CC is against the forum rules. Vendor names can be shared via PM if the user so chooses. Though I agree, if this were a discussion about NC, the vendor should be shared.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the bs its plume not mold story, and it was mold. Probably from the same vender. I wiped them down and threw the box away and theyve been fine ever since. They sell their product so cheap, they should just be honest about it and replace the damn things. I guess they get plenty of new customers though.